Post-Game Talk: EC Round 1: New York Rangers (M3) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (M2) (PIT leads 1-0)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Over under on Hagelin goals in this series? 3 or 4?

I'm tired of this match-up, and even more tired of the match-up with the Caps, but I also don't believe in this Penguins hot streak. The Rangers can absolutely win this series.

Jun 16, 2015
I don't like playing as underdogs against PIT. If we can't beat them until game 6 then forget it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Over under on Hagelin goals in this series? 3 or 4?

I'm tired of this match-up, and even more tired of the match-up with the Caps, but I also don't believe in this Penguins hot streak. The Rangers can absolutely win this series.

I don't think the Penguins second half of the season was just a hot streak, I think they are a legitimately good team and a dominant possession team.

However, I do agree the Rangers can win the series, the importance being that it is a 7 game series. It's different than the regular season.

It is imperative to win game 1 in Pittsburgh. Eek out a win in game 1 and all the pressure immediately shifts to the Penguins.

The better team doesn't always win a playoff series.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Going to be fun, see if AV makes any adjustments as far as systems. Do we try to slow the game down a bit like Pitt did to us? One thing we have this year is a solid PP.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Match ups are very important against the Penguins. AV can't get out coached badly in this area. As good as the Pens "energy" players have been recently, I still think defending those top two lines is what will either win us or lose us this series.

We need to match up Klein-Yandle against that Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel line. The rest of our defenseman don't have the speed to play against them. Those wingers would absolutely roast all our other defenseman with their skating besides Skjei, and you obviously aren't putting him on anything other than the third pair.

I like Girardi-Staal against the Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist line. Neither has had a particularly good season, but they've had success against Crosby in the playoffs before, Staal really gets under Crosby's skin, and playing against players like Kunitz and Hornqvist is the wheelhouse for Girardi and Staal. If Girardi's still injured, just swap in McIlrath.

Boyle and Skjei should play against the Pens "energy guys", and they have to do well. They can't be outplayed the whole series. They can't expect to not have a hard battle just because they've not heard of those guys. Physicality in the playoffs against Boyle really worries me. He struggled a lot with it last year. It's why we went 7 games against Washington. I also am worried about a rookie defenseman with like 5 or 6 NHL games going into the lineup during the playoffs.

If we had McDonagh, I'd feel a lot better about our chances to shut these lines down.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eric Staal hasn't put up big numbers, but his play hasn't come close to warranting a scratch. He's been very effective on the third line, he's effectively played the PK. I just hope he's not injured from what happened vs. Detroit.

Pittsburgh's team speed really worries me, frankly they remind me of the 2014 Rangers and that's scary, especially with our #1D likely missing the entire series.

6 points in 20 games is 4th line offense production. There really aren't many third line centers for playoff teams that are averaging with that team the equivalent of just under 25 points in an 82 game season.

Eric Staal has his uses, but that trade is looking so much worse as the games go by. Trading Saarela and two seconds for a good PK'er is just absurd. Eric Staal has to start putting up points, otherwise its a terrible trade.

I agree with you though about the team speed. If AV's putting anything other than Klein-Yandle out against that Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel line, they could really light us up. Klein's going to have to be on his game because that line needs to be shut down, and Yandle's not a shutdown defenseman, but he really has to play against those players because of his skating.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Schedule pretty spread out. Wed night, Saturday at 3 then game 3 Tuesday night. Hope mcdonagh can be ready by Saturday (being totally optimistic). And as stated earlier staal needs to up his production. If both him and Nash don't produce we are obviously doomed

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
Right hand, fractured metacarpal.

that is his knob hand on the stick....now if it was the shaft hand where most of the stick is controlled that would be a different story....shooting the puck would hurt when the weight is transferred

he can totally play if the fracture isn't that bad

i not only fractured my left knob hand ( right shot ) but also had stitches on fingers and still played when I played in College

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
MAF will play. I suspect if he misses a game it's only 1.

I think the only guy we may miss entirely is Malkin. I think Maata will comeback at some point in this series.

The fact we are pinning our hopes to these injuries should tell us all we need to know.

This is a completely different team with a much more fragile, different mindset. I hope they prove me wrong, but I would've shocked if we won.

The likelihood we could beat two teams 3 straight years is so minimal.

RICK NASHTY

May 5, 2015
that is his knob hand on the stick....now if it was the shaft hand where most of the stick is controlled that would be a different story....shooting the puck would hurt when the weight is transferred

he can totally play if the fracture isn't that bad

i not only fractured my left knob hand ( right shot ) but also had stitches on fingers and still played when I played in College

Thank god it wasn't his wrist or he would be completely shot for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad