Confirmed with Link: Eberle to the Islanders for Strome

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He was great during the dark days.

The problem was he fell off a cliff the second the team looked to be competitive. Two brutal seasons followed by an even worse playoffs.

Fell off a cliff?

Its hyperbole like this that's part of the problem.

Eberle had 1 outlier season where he was almost a ppg player during which he had a 19% shooting percentage.
Excluding that one off season in his next 3 seasons he averaged around 0.78 ppg.
During the time period where you claim he 'fell off a cliff' (the past 2 years) his ppg average has been 0.65. During that same time his TOI dropped a full minute or more and his PP time was a big part of that reduction.

So the stats dont reflect this exaggerated point of view that yourself and others are pushing on here. Its a narrative that isnt supported by reality. It is however a point of view that predictably surfaces as soon as most high salary Oiler players get traded.

So it looks to me like Harpoon is 100% right here.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Fell off a cliff?

Eberle had 1 outlier season where he was almost a ppg player during which he had a 19% shooting percentage.
Excluding that one off season in his next 3 seasons he averaged around 0.78 ppg.
During the time period where you claim he 'fell off a cliff' (the past 2 years) his ppg average has been 0.65. During that same time his TOI dropped a full minute or more and his PP time was a big part of that reduction.

So the stats dont reflect this exaggerated point of view that yourself and others are pushing on here. Its a narrative that isnt supported by reality. It is however a point of view that predictably surfaces as soon as most high salary Oiler players get traded.

Why even argue semantics like that? Sure, I guess my hyperbole was a little hyperbolic haha, but you posted the numbers yourself and they do reflect that.

You realize the difference between 0.78 pgg and 0.65 pgg over a full season is 11 points, right? That's pretty significant even when conveniently omitting his best season from his prior ppg.

Add the play-offs and you're looking at a 50 point pace since 2015. I would consider that fairly lackluster considering he's a player who has improved to being average at best defensively.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Why even argue semantics like that? Sure, I guess my hyperbole was a little hyperbolic haha, but you posted the numbers yourself and they do reflect that.

You realize the difference between 0.78 pgg and 0.65 pgg over a full season is 11 points, right? That's pretty significant even when conveniently omitting his best season from his prior ppg.

Add the play-offs and you're looking at a 50 point pace since 2015. I would consider that fairly lackluster considering he's a player who has improved to being average at best defensively.

So you are completely ignoring an obvious contributor which is TOI especially on the PP. Surely you arent suggesting that its inconsequential?

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Eberle has absolutely lost confidence. I also think his shooting coach needs to be run out of the business.

i agree! and how many times did Eberle stop the puck first before shooting it and taking himself out of a sure goal by allowing the goalie to get back? he cost himself likely at least an extra 5 or so goals this year by not one timing it. :facepalm:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So you are completely ignoring an obvious contributor which is TOI especially on the PP. Surely you arent suggesting that its inconsequential?

Obviously it isn't, but it's not like that reduction in TOI was no fault of Eberle's.

He lost his spot on the PP because a fourth liner played his role ten times better.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Obviously it isn't, but it's not like that reduction in TOI was no fault of Eberle's.

He lost his spot on the PP because a fourth liner played his role ten times better.

When you put it that way, he essentially played himself off that line, and then off the team.

And if that's the case, I don't want him. Still expecting Strome to contribute more this season than Eberle did in each of the last two.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
i agree! and how many times did Eberle stop the puck first before shooting it and taking himself out of a sure goal by allowing the goalie to get back? he cost himself likely at least an extra 5 or so goals this year by not one timing it. :facepalm:

It sure wasn't his one-timers that made him successful on the pp in the first place

His shot was affected for some reason this year. Players go thru shooting slumps

I love how when Ebs was scoring it was peaches and cream and one bad year of shooting he gets slayed for "not one-timing"

Half the goals he scored were b/c he dusted it off and beat the goalies anticipation

It wasn't the goalie getting into position that stopped the goals. It was his poor puck placement. Years previous those shots went in everytime

When OV hits a slump in slapshots we can all say it was cuz he didn't take his time

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
Eberle isn't even a prolific scorer. He's only hit 30 goals once in his career. We should be expecting around 25 each year. Where did this goalscorer label come from?
Yes last year his S% was abysmal but I don't think he'll see it that low again unless he has lingering/permanent damage. Even in normal S% years he's only hit 30 once.
Don't even start with the on pace nonsense, did he? No. Ok.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Hopefuly for Eberle he goes back to his old style of stick. Didn't he say he was swapping up to a stiffer one this year to help with his one-timer? That could explain why his shot was no where near the level it was before. But at the same time, why wouldn't he have already swapped back to it mid-season when he was taken off the top unit.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Eberle isn't even a prolific scorer. He's only hit 30 goals once in his career. We should be expecting around 25 each year. Where did this goalscorer label come from?
Yes last year his S% was abysmal but I don't think he'll see it that low again unless he has lingering/permanent damage. Even in normal S% years he's only hit 30 once.
Don't even start with the on pace nonsense, did he? No. Ok.
Eberle is 22 overall in goals scored this decade at very least 1st line goal scorer :help:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Eberle is 22 overall in goals scored this decade at very least 1st line goal scorer :help:

Those details don't matter when he's being run out of town.

He can't shoot, one time and is a terrible goal scorer. There must be a 1000 players in the last 10 years who can do the same thing

There's nothing prolific about being a consistant 20+ goal scorer. Maroon will do that for the next 10 years:naughty:

Last edited:

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017

He was Mr. Clean. God he dusted he puck off for so long. He could have had countless goals.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Really...which 4th liner was that? Letestu...a center?
He didnt lose his spot on the PP...his time was reduced. He wasnt alone in that regard either but he is predictably singled out.
The end point being that your characterization of Eberle as a player was/is nonsense.

Fall off a cliff indeed. :help:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Really...which 4th liner was that? Letestu...a center?
He didnt lose his spot on the PP...his time was reduced. He wasnt alone in that regard either but he is predictably singled out.
The end point being that your characterization of Eberle as a player was/is nonsense.

Fall off a cliff indeed. :help:

Wha?

Letestu didn't replace him on the left half-boards and lead the team in power play goals(and outscore Eberle by 11 power play goals) over the course of the season and playoffs?

Do you think it was just a coincidence that McLellan/Woodcroft "reduced his time" to the second unit?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Meh, I won't miss him at all. On the one hand, I give him credit for not being a complete defensive liability last season, but he was making too much for what he brings.

He and Schultz were the 2 most frustrating Oilers I've ever watched due to their half-arsed, lacksadaisical play.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I have watched most of Oilers playoff games from YT during summer months and what really catches my eyes is that Eberle and Pouliot both had big problems cashing chances near the net. Both were hesitant to go there and if they did, they didn't find the puck, made poor effort to shoot or were just pushed off from the area. Those kind of plays easily give impression that these players aren't giving 100 % for the team. When playoff series are on the line and some guys just can't put puck into the net from 5 feet, it ignites GMs actions. We had problems getting to the net and if you watch highlights of Strome and Jokinen, they are like opposites of Eberle&Pouliot in that regard.
Strome had steep price but I think he brings some of the things that we really lacked last season.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Fell off a cliff?

Hyperbole is a problem with the other side of the argument? Yet you provide support of someone with ... hyperbole. :handclap:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Meh, I won't miss him at all. On the one hand, I give him credit for not being a complete defensive liability last season, but he was making too much for what he brings.

He and Schultz were the 2 most frustrating Oilers I've ever watched due to their half-arsed, lacksadaisical play.

The one thing I wont miss is him floating 5 feet from the boards in the defensive zone when the puck gets ringed around then never gets out because he was never in position, and even if he was he couldnt win a puck battle 95% of the time.

The "improved defensive play" stuff just doesnt fly with me, he spent most of the year playing with superior defensive awareness players and looked better by association.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When you put it that way, he essentially played himself off that line, and then off the team.

And if that's the case, I don't want him. Still expecting Strome to contribute more this season than Eberle did in each of the last two.

I'm rooting for Strome but those are some grandiose expectations. Eberle is a far better player than people are giving him credit for.

Dollars and cents pushed him off of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad