Proposal: Eberle to Islanders

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
IMO there'd need to be a + or salary retention on Boychuk. If he were signed for 2-3 years less the value would be much closer. What do you have in terms of forward prospects (outside of Barzal) that you'd be willing to add to even it out?

I doubt they'd add any of Barzal, MDC, Bellows, Beauvillier, or Ho-Sang. And after that it's pretty bleak. Next best is either Quine (if he counts as a prospect) or Golyshev

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I doubt they'd add any of Barzal, MDC, Bellows, Beauvillier, or Ho-Sang. And after that it's pretty bleak. Next best is either Quine (if he counts as a prospect) or Golyshev

Without a nice add of some salary retention I don't see how it makes much sense for us. If he were 2 years younger, sure but at 32 signed until he's 38 at $6 million AAV that could really bite a team in the butt in the last half of the deal.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Without a nice add of some salary retention I don't see how it makes much sense for us. If he were 2 years younger, sure but at 32 signed until he's 38 at $6 million AAV that could really bite a team in the butt in the last half of the deal.

Agreed, but he is still a top4 RHD, which is why it would make sense as that is something Edmonton needs. He's also by all accounts a great leader, something that would be helpful on such a young team that, no insult meant by this, lacks veteran leaders with playoff experience.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Agreed, but he is still a top4 RHD, which is why it would make sense as that is something Edmonton needs. He's also by all accounts a great leader, something that would be helpful on such a young team that, no insult meant by this, lacks veteran leaders with playoff experience.

Boychuk fills a need for sure, but only if he came cheap... like two 2nds. That contract is a very big negative.

If the Isles want cap flexibility and vet leader with playoff experience (went to Cup finals with Devils) then a Fayne for Boychuk swap would work.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Trust me I have interest in him as a player, however I have heard less than glowing reports from some Islanders fans over the course of this season and his contract is not a cheap one if his play falls off a cliff. No insult taken, I can tell by your posts that you are interested in a genuinely respectful discussion so all good there! I just think that with no salary retention we'd need something else of substance with value that we could eventually plug into the lineup or use as trade or to stock our prospect cupboard. Something that would be exempt from the expansion draft.

Hypothetically Eberle completely bombs, you are on the hook for 3 years and then his salary comes off the books. Now if Boychuk bombs we are on the hook for 6 years. He is not 28 like Lucic is, he is already 32. I have no issue with Boychuk the player, as a matter of fact I was REALLY hoping that we'd land him before he was traded to your team. His contract though could be a killer for us especially when McDavid will be eating up probably $10 million or so in cap.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Boychuk fills a need for sure, but only if he came cheap... like two 2nds. That contract is a very big negative.

If the Isles want cap flexibility and vet leader with playoff experience (went to Cup finals with Devils) then a Fayne for Boychuk swap would work.

Fayne would be a 3rd pairing guy there and even with Boychuk's contract I think that that trade would be terrible for them because of the drop off from Boychuk to Fayne over the next 2-3 years at minimum. Mayfield is also probably close to waiver eligible by now and he brings a lot more bite to his game than Fayne does and at a cheaper price.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Islanders seem to still need a top line RW. Does Eberle fit that role? How much would it cost?

de Haan plus MDC/2017 1st?

Thanks for reading.

#1.Last I checked, the Isles had about $5m in cap space with 2-3 rfa left to sign. Plus they will want to keep some room so they can make TDL additions.Don't see how they can bring in a $6m player.

#2. Staple said before the draft and post draft, that the isles would not give up a lot for Eberle. So, no.de Haan plus MDC/2017 1st does not work for the NYI.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Trust me I have interest in him as a player, however I have heard less than glowing reports from some Islanders fans over the course of this season and his contract is not a cheap one if his play falls off a cliff. No insult taken, I can tell by your posts that you are interested in a genuinely respectful discussion so all good there! I just think that with no salary retention we'd need something else of substance with value that we could eventually plug into the lineup or use as trade or to stock our prospect cupboard. Something that would be exempt from the expansion draft.

Hypothetically Eberle completely bombs, you are on the hook for 3 years and then his salary comes off the books. Now if Boychuk bombs we are on the hook for 6 years. He is not 28 like Lucic is, he is already 32. I have no issue with Boychuk the player, as a matter of fact I was REALLY hoping that we'd land him before he was traded to your team. His contract though could be a killer for us especially when McDavid will be eating up probably $10 million or so in cap.

Strength of the nyi team is that very solid D.
I would rather have Boychuk then Eberle.
And I am not even particularly wild about Boychuk and his contract.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Strength of the nyi team is that very solid D.
I would rather have Boychuk then Eberle.
And I am not even particularly wild about Boychuk and his contract.

Fair enough, how was Boychuks play last season compared to his first with the Islanders?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't see a fit here, now that the Oilers have Larsson they're not nearly as desperate for D help and the Islanders don't have the type of player they would want back there.

Eberle is the only guy on the Oilers who can reliably score 25-30 goals now too, don't see them shipping him off. He's needed to shelter Puljujarvi.

You can't have McDavid-Draisaitl-Nugent Hopkins with no winger depth.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Definitely worse.

First season he looked like a high end #2, last season he looked more like a 3/4. Hopefully he bounces back

Not as good but not nearly as bad as some fans make it out to be. He wasn't good in the playoffs where he usually excels, but I think he was just bruised up. He'll be good after a summer of rest.

Thanks guys. That's the worry when a guy hits his 30's especially mid 30's which he isn't at just yet, is he just banged up or is it the beginning of the end of him as an effective player? If he bounces back next season then he's more attractive as a trade target or as part of the team going forward in NY's case.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Please Stop Eberle is not going to be Moved! If Oilers Move a Player it will be RNH or Nail...And there is No deal with Islanders.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Fair enough, how was Boychuks play last season compared to his first with the Islanders?

Somewhere on the NYI board are my comments made during the 2015-2016 season, that Leddy and Boychuk were not as good in their 2nd NYI seasons, as they had been in their first seasons. I went on to say that Hamonic and CDH were doing the heavy lifting.

the post season saw just the opposite. Leddy and Boychuk raised their level of play, while Hamonic was ok and CDH disappointing.

Anyway, Boychuk has a full ntc for another 3 seasons. He and his wife are building a house. I doubt he waives that ntc.

Last edited:

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Somewhere on the NYI board are my comments made during the 2015-2016 season, that Leddy and Boychuk were not as good in their 2nd NYI seasons, as they had been in their first seasons. I went on to say that Hamonic and CDH were doing the heavy lifting.

the post season saw just the opposite. Leddy and Boychuk raised their level of play, while Hamonic was ok and CDH disappointing.

Anyway, Boychuk has a full nmc for another 3 seasons. He and his wife are building a house. I doubt he waives that ntc.

Leddy had a bad first 15-20 games but after that I thought he was even better than he was in 2014-15. He's a majestic creature that Nick Leddy.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Edmonton just traded Hall, why would they give up their next best winger? Unless a top 4 damn is coming back, Edmonton won't trade Eberle.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Leddy had a bad first 15-20 games but after that I thought he was even better than he was in 2014-15. He's a majestic creature that Nick Leddy.

I thought Hamonic and CHD were the ones having strong regular seasons.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

Anyway, Boychuk has a full ntc for another 3 seasons. He and his wife are building a house. I doubt he waives that ntc.

He's from Edmonton though, so I think there's a shot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad