Proposal: Eberle to Islanders

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's the Oilers D setup looking like right now?

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Fayne*
Davidson-Reinhart/Nurse

* Supposedly Fayne showed up out of shape last season but is in great shape now after being waived and then later recalled last season. It could just as easily be Davidson-Sekera and Nurse/Reinhart-Fayne to round out our 2nd and 3rd pairings.

Ideally we'd add another RHD that can play on the PP and add some offense as well. Besides Klefbom potentially I don't think that we have a high level offensive D among that group just some solid two way guys in Larsson, Sekera and Davidson.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The Oilers would have to likely offer up Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for a player from the Islanders, and they'd be looking at Travis Hamonic in all likelihood, as he's signed through 2020 and is a right-handed shooting defenseman. The problem is that a team can only protect three defensemen in the next expansion draft, and Larsson and Sekera are likely two of those three (the Oilers might very well lose Darnell Nurse in the expansion draft). This might be a trade to consider next offseason, but not this one.

Not correct at all . A team can protect 8 players and 1 goalie or 7 forwards 3 defence men and 1 goalie . going the 8 player option a team can keep 8 D if they wanted to

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I had about 10-15 posts quoted and can't answer to all. Here is what we can realistically offer.

Picks
Mayfield
Bailey
Halak*
Boychuk*
Possibly MDC
Possible Nelson or Lee

Halak/Boychuk/Bailey might have to be added to get us under the cap.

No chance any of Pulock, Leddy, Hamonic, and de HAAN will be moved for Eberle (that's a pipe dream considering what Hall returned).

If anyone can come up with something from that, AMEN!

Or we can say it a pipe dream considering what Boychuk and Leddy was moved to the NYI for . Point it market vary from year to year and with the expansion draft there will be some D that shakes loss as GM determines who they will protect . We paid a big price to get Larsson . I am happy we made the trade it opens up 2 million in cap space and got us a good young RHD with upside . As for us needing a puck moving D ? That may not be the case . Davidson is a very good puck mover and has a wicked shot . I think Chia said he is ok with his team for this very reason .

NYI went for a bottom feeder to a good team with the 2 above D added . Edmonton just added one and the had a couple break out last year . We are also a more well balance team . Lucic , Maroon and Kassian all helps with cycling the puck and keeping it out of our end zone

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
The Islanders are Done at the moment! So let's forget Eberle! Besides Eberle and McDavid have Chemistry so Why would they Trade a Natural right winger.....? If Oilers do make a deal with some club either RNH or Nail would be on the block not Eberle.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Islanders are Done at the moment! So let's forget Eberle! Besides Eberle and McDavid have Chemistry so Why would they Trade a Natural right winger.....? If Oilers do make a deal with some club either RNH or Nail would be on the block not Eberle.

Not necessarily, Draisaitl can play RW as can Puljujarvi. I'd sooner deal Eberle than RNH.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Unless Hamonic is coming back, I can't see a possible deal. Not that I'm saying that Eberle alone would be enough, but I doubt we trade Eberle unless a proven top-4 RHD is coming back.

If Hamonic is not available (which I really think is the case, as he seems to be staying put now) then I don't see the point in continuing the discussion, personally.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
EDM does not need to move Eberle, I will keep him and watch him score 30-35 goals next year as he is a finisher something Tavarse wish he had on his wing

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
EDM does not need to move Eberle, I will keep him and watch him score 30-35 goals next year as he is a finisher something Tavarse wish he had on his wing

Tavares already has had a very similar RW like Eberle already, his name was Brad Boyes and he was a bad fit. Eberle is a better player, but he is in the same mold - soft, one dimensional, and doesn't play defense. Keep him, no one cares about your chest thumping.

Parenteau costs a fraction of that $6M price tag for Eberle and could very well produce at a similar level in terms of points. Tavares is a high end finisher himself, a playmaker like Parenteau (has proven chemistry with JT) is a better fit with Ladd expected to be the #LW anyway.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I really really really dislike the Oilers but you are being completely disingenuous and antagonistic. This had nothing to do with what the poster you quoted said, not to mention it's not even the same poster.

I mean it's pretty obvious the Isles don't have much on the right side and this IS a trade board - Hamonic wasn't even in the OP and yet you are here with nothing but vitriolic comments. Shame.

Great post. To add to this, now that we have Larsson , we can only protect Sekera Larsson and Klefbom. We already have to expose Davidson and Reinhart. There is no way we can add another defender unless hes exempt.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Tavares already has had a very similar RW like Eberle already, his name was Brad Boyes and he was a bad fit. Eberle is a better player, but he is in the same mold - soft, one dimensional, and doesn't play defense. Keep him, no one cares about your chest thumping.

Parenteau costs a fraction of that $6M price tag for Eberle and could very well produce at a similar level in terms of points. Tavares is a high end finisher himself, a playmaker like Parenteau (has proven chemistry with JT) is a better fit with Ladd expected to be the #LW anyway.

apparently the OP does .. You dont have to post in a thread if you dont agree with the OP. Enjoy your Parentau.. 4 teams in last 5 yrs.. Comparing him to Eberle shows your ignorance.. Thats like Devils talking about Hall's previous with Hemsky and passing up on Palmeri.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Great post. To add to this, now that we have Larsson , we can only protect Sekera Larsson and Klefbom. We already have to expose Davidson and Reinhart. There is no way we can add another defender unless hes exempt.

we can easily protect 4D and 4F since there really arent more than 4 forwards worth protecting especially if Eberle is getting traded.

Draisaitl, Lucic and RNH are the only core forwards.
One of Pouliot or Maroon would get exposed in this case. Both can be exposed if the Oilers protect 5 Dmen.

There will be plenty Dmen better than Davidson and Reinhart exposed from other teams for LasVegas to poach.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Boyes' last 3 seasons before coming to NY:
230gp. 39-81-120 (0.52ppg)

Eberle's last 3 seasons:
230gp. 77-98-175 (0.76ppg)

Yup similar players. Go ahead and think that a 33 going on 34 year old PAP will get back to his 50+ point days with Tavares, it might happen for a year if you're lucky and that's assuming that Ladd will be as good of a fit as Moulson was to that line. The odds of PAP being similar to the version of Boyes that you saw is greater than Eberle being that player.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
apparently the OP does .. You dont have to post in a thread if you dont agree with the OP. Enjoy your Parentau.. 4 teams in last 5 yrs.. Comparing him to Eberle shows your ignorance.. Thats like Devils talking about Hall's previous with Hemsky and passing up on Palmeri.

I didn't realize the OP represented all Isles fans?!? So I'm not allowed to post if I don't agree? Haha, you're funny.

Also, I compared Eberle to Brad Boyes... did that go over your head? I guess it did. :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I didn't realize the OP represented all Isles fans?!? So I'm not allowed to post if I don't agree? Haha, you're funny.

Also, I compared Eberle to Brad Boyes... did that go over your head? I guess it did. :laugh:

He was probably just in shock at how piss poor your comparable was. On the bright side PAP is much cheaper than Okposo would've been.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

look at post above yours for comparison to Boyes..

and OP doesnt speak for Isle fans neither do you. You dont have to participate in a topic that you dont believe in even if it involves the team you are a fan of.

You dont like Eberle we get it. But this thread is about Eberle to NYI.
Maybe stay out of it instead of making bad comparisons. Does nothing but angers the other side.

Eberle is better than any RW the Islanders have. Belittle him by calling him all those names but that fact remains.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Boyes' last 3 seasons before coming to NY:
230gp. 39-81-120 (0.522ppg)

Eberle's last 3 seasons:
230gp. 77-98-175 (0.76ppg)

Yup similar players. Go ahead and think that a 33 going on 34 year old PAP will get back to his 50+ point days with Tavares, it might happen for a year if you're lucky and that's assuming that Ladd will be as good of a fit as Moulson was to that line. The odds of PAP being similar to the version of Boyes that you saw is greater than Eberle being that player.

Is Brad Boyes soft? Yes. Is Eberle soft? Yes.
Is Boyes one dimensional? Yes. Is Eberle one dimensional? I think so.
Does Boyes play defense? Nope. Does Eberle play defense? Nope.

Eberle is the better player as I stated, does he bring the same type of complementary game as Boyes with the same warts? I think so.

Be butt hurt all you want with my comparison, I still do not want Eberle for what he brings at that cost in terms of salary and cost in assets to acquire.

Parenteau had a 53 point season and then a 67 point season with a younger and less accomplished Tavares. Also, Parenteau is signed for one season so it doesn't matter if he can sustain it or not. Tavares produces no matter who is on his line as he's shown over the years. So much wrong in your post, you should go back to obsessing over Barrie's arbitration in the other thread.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
look at post above yours for comparison to Boyes..

and OP doesnt speak for Isle fans neither do you. You dont have to participate in a topic that you dont believe in even if it involves the team you are a fan of.

You dont like Eberle we get it. But this thread is about Eberle to NYI.
Maybe stay out of it instead of making bad comparisons. Does nothing but angers the other side.

Eberle is better than any RW the Islanders have. Belittle him by calling him all those names but that fact remains.

So I am not allowed to post my opinions? I responded to a poster that I did not agree with, just like you're doing to me. So if I shouldn't post, then why should you? Am I not on topic? Please.

Aww, you don't like what I have to say. Ignore me then instead of what looks like whining.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is Brad Boyes soft? Yes. Is Eberle soft? Yes.
Is Boyes one dimensional? Yes. Is Eberle one dimensional? I think so.
Does Boyes play defense? Nope. Does Eberle play defense? Nope.

Eberle is the better player as I stated, does he bring the same type of complementary game as Boyes with the same warts? I think so.

Be butt hurt all you want with my comparison, I still do not want Eberle for what he brings at that cost in terms of salary and cost in assets to acquire.

Parenteau had a 53 point season and then a 67 point season with a younger and less accomplished Tavares. Also, Parenteau is signed for one season so it doesn't matter if he can sustain it or not. Tavares produces no matter who is on his line as he's shown over the years. So much wrong in your post, you should go back to obsessing over Barrie's arbitration in the other thread.

Bury your head in the sand all that you want, if you think that the Boyes that you were getting is a comparable player to Eberle now then you are either extremely biased or ignorant in your opinion. You can't claim ignorance if you read my post, so I'll just pin it on ridiculous bias.

Yeah and how many years ago was that? May as well trade for Moulson too then? Reunite the line = profit since JT is so much better now that he'll be able to drag them back to their 20's in age and abilities!

Cool, I guess i have a stalker now, I hope that you're as cute as your avatar is.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
The truth is, last season Eberle didn't make much sense for the Isles. We had an excess of non-physical wingers in Okposo, Nielsen, Strome, Nelson, Prince, etc. However, Ladd is much more physical/defensive than Okposo, and with the physical Cizikas and Clutterbuck likely to see bigger minutes (joined by Chimera), the Isles offensively look much more physical then the were last year. And we still need more RHS forwards, as Strome, PAP and Clutterbuck I believe are our only ones.

So yes, Eberle does make sense. And I'll say I think he would be brought in to play second line minutes away from JT (especially since PAP is clearly slotted for his RW) and hopefully add scoring depth, something this team desperately lacks. Boychuk+ for Eberle would absolutely be ideal for the Islanders. Pulock takes Boychuk's spot on the 2nd pair and Mayfield takes Pulock's spot on the 3rd.

As for what the + would be, I'm not sure. It could go like the Hall-Larsson trade and be no + as the GMs recognize the significance of RHD to Edmonton. From a value standpoint though, I'd say it'd be something like a 2nd.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Bury your head in the sand all that you want, if you think that the Boyes that you were getting is a comparable player to Eberle now then you are either extremely biased or ignorant in your opinion. You can't claim ignorance if you read my post, so I'll just pin it on ridiculous bias.

Yeah and how many years ago was that? May as well trade for Moulson too then? Reunite the line = profit since JT is so much better now that he'll be able to drag them back to their 20's in age and abilities!

Cool, I guess i have a stalker now, I hope that you're as cute as your avatar is.

Oh please Bryan, spare me the melodrama. This is not my first rodeo, just like it's not yours.

Whatever, keep Eberle. I have no more interest in discussing this tonight.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The truth is, last season Eberle didn't make much sense for the Isles. We had an excess of non-physical wingers in Okposo, Nielsen, Strome, Nelson, Prince, etc. However, Ladd is much more physical/defensive than Okposo, and with the physical Cizikas and Clutterbuck likely to see bigger minutes (joined by Chimera), the Isles offensively look much more physical then the were last year. And we still need more RHS forwards, as Strome, PAP and Clutterbuck I believe are our only ones.

So yes, Eberle does make sense. And I'll say I think he would be brought in to play second line minutes away from JT (especially since PAP is clearly slotted for his RW) and hopefully add scoring depth, something this team desperately lacks. Boychuk+ for Eberle would absolutely be ideal for the Islanders. Pulock takes Boychuk's spot on the 2nd pair and Mayfield takes Pulock's spot on the 3rd.

As for what the + would be, I'm not sure. It could go like the Hall-Larsson trade and be no + as the GMs recognize the significance of RHD to Edmonton. From a value standpoint though, I'd say it'd be something like a 2nd.

IMO there'd need to be a + or salary retention on Boychuk. If he were signed for 2-3 years less the value would be much closer. What do you have in terms of forward prospects (outside of Barzal) that you'd be willing to add to even it out?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Oilers are not locking themselves up with another monster contract. Boychuk is not an option for Oilers.

Eberle for Pulock straight up ala Hall for Larsson.

Eberle @50% retained for Boychuk at 50% retained would be the only way Oilers take on one of the worst contracts in the league.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Oilers are not locking themselves up with another monster contract. Boychuk is not an option for Oilers.

Eberle for Pulock straight up ala Hall for Larsson.

Eberle @50% retained for Boychuk at 50% retained would be the only way Oilers take on one of the worst contracts in the league.

Not even top 50

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad