Dreger: Eberle has probably played last game for Oilers

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I said Edmonton would have to retain $2-3M, and no contender is taking on that contract as it is.

I suspect he won't go to a contender likely a bottom 10 team that really needs some scoring help and has tons of cap space to play with.

Finlandia WOAT said:
What are Oiler's fans looking for/expecting, exactly?

The Hurricanes could 100% use a talented right winger, but Eberle is weak on the boards and somewhat overpaid, and it's a risk that his production rebounds for the reasons you said- but what do the Oilers want? Picks? Roster player?
What we are looking for is a 2nd pairing d-man preferably a rightie or a quality 3rd line center, I think we'd also consider a top 9 RW as long the fit was right and lowered our overall cap-hit. I think a 2nd pairing d-men even if overpaid seems a bit unlikely, but 3rd line C or a good winger who is less productive & cheaper seem reasonable. We are trying to contend so picks and prospects seem less likely unless we have something lined up to replace him completely through free agency or another trade.

I think a rebound is fairly likely he had his minutes cut this season and got demoted to the 2nd unit PP off the 1st unit PP which he is normally on and would likely be again on any team that picks him up. His shooting percentage was also 4.5% below his career norm, if he was shooting at his career shooting percentage this year he would of have 29 goals instead of 20 goals. I don't see him getting back to 70 points, but he is still quite capable of floating around in that low 60 point range.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He might get 5.

But that's the issue. He isn't a free UFA.

Instead, he's a 6 million dollar guy AND the Oilers expect possitive assets back. So the acquiring team is overpaying in cap hit AND gets to lose assets to overpay him. Not really a great combo.

But in the end, it will depend what the acquiring team gives up. If they lose someone they were looking to move anyways, it makes things easier to swallow.

Like any other trade that happens, we are expecting to move Eberle for a part we need. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that there is a team out there who needs a scoring rw and is willing to move a bottom six center or #4 defenseman to get it. It's not like we are asking for a too prospect and no cap coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad