News Article: Eberle had confidence issues by being an oiler

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah it's always weird how many good players have been shipped out over the years who "needed a change of scenery". Feels like it happens here more than most. It's not the fans, it's not the media, it's not the decades of piss poor management: it's all of those things and the fact that it's Siberia up here.

Reactions: Jephman

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah it's always weird how many good players have been shipped out over the years who "needed a change of scenery". Feels like it happens here more than most. It's not the fans, it's not the media, it's not the decades of piss poor management: it's all of those things and the fact that it's Siberia up here.

You are one of the worst.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Are you serious you think NHL players don't follow the social scene of their own flipping league . Just stop you think Eberle is voicing his concerns from letters people wrote him .

“The Edmonton media can be pretty brutal and your confidence goes and this is a game you can’t play if you don’t have confidence,” Eberle said. “It’s that simple. It’s the Edmonton Oilers and everything around it. When you read articles every day about how much you suck, it’s tough.”

He didn't say anything about the fans. The vast majority of fans love these guys and just drink the oilerade filling up the stands every night regardless of the teams suckage. Players are freakin celebrities in this city because the fans like them!

Every person in a high profile position is subject to criticism from the media, from politics, to sports.... this isn't new. Most people realize that with stardom comes both praise and criticism.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Some people should read this article...

Justin Schultz is lighting it up in Pittsburgh as a two-way player

The quote that sticks out...

From T Mac

"There was a lot of stress and tension put on Justin here, whether it was fans, teammates, coaches,” said McLellan. “We wanted him to feel as if we believed in him. More of a hug environment than a kick environment. We felt he needed an arm around him a bit and tried that. He’d respond but there were a lot of kicks coming from other places (fans). Sometimes you have to get away."

Reactions: Aerrol

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Suck it up, butter cup. Most of what pays player's paychecks is merchadise, and tickets and just general INTEREST.

It's like you wanna get paid millions to play hockey, but you don't want anyone to care enough to write about it???

HOW DOES THAT WORK???

You think markets where nobody follows hockey drive the money in this sport??? You think a league consisting of markets like Florida or California are going to drive your salaries up??? Nascar is more popular in those markets for crying out loud.

Bottom line. You get paid MILLIONS. Delete all your damn social media, be a professional, grow thick skin and learn to play in your own private little bubble.

But asking media to not write articles on a sport where fans are interested is asinine.

Islanders? How's their market doing over there? Oh it's doing so well that they are not even sure about the long term future of the club...go figure. You find it's easier to play in a market where theirs no interest in your failures or successes?

What a little princess.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Suck it up, butter cup. Most of what pays player's paychecks is merchadise, and tickets and just general INTEREST.

It's like you wanna get paid millions to play hockey, but you don't want anyone to care enough to write about it???

HOW DOES THAT WORK???

You think markets where nobody follows hockey drive the money in this sport??? You think a league consisting of markets like Florida or California are going to drive your salaries up??? Nascar is more popular in those markets for crying out loud.

Bottom line. You get paid MILLIONS. Delete all your damn social media, be a professional, grow thick skin and learn to play in your own private little bubble.

But asking media to not write articles on a sport where fans are interested is asinine.

Islanders? How's their market doing over there? Oh it's doing so well that they are not even sure about the long term future of the club...go figure. You find it's easier to play in a market where theirs no interest in your failures or successes?

What a little princess.
^^^^ exactly this. Close thread.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think the media in this city actually has given the team a pretty easy ride, to be honest. On these boards, it's different, but the players aren't privy to that. He's lucky he hasn't played in Montreal, or Toronto, or New York City (Larry Brooks), where they can be downright cruel and merciless. And I thought the fans that go to the games were far too kind, considering the near decade of suck that he was a part of. Good for Jordan now though. He's playing in a market where no one really gives a damn. Perhaps he can finish his career in Florida or Carolina.

Reactions: RegDunlop and Dashh

HumbleEgomaniac

Apr 23, 2015
Some classy responses in this thread. (Sarcasm)

Apparently, if you make millions of dollars, somehow you turn into a superhuman that does not have emotions. Give me a break. Eberle's point is valid. The same with TMac above. Justin Schutlz deserved criticism, but the fans behaviour near the end of his tenure showed how classless this fanbase can be. Booing a player that isn't doing well isn't going to turn him around. If this is your team and you are truly a fan, then support your team win or lose. Save the bitching for after the game. I am sure throwing your jersey on the ice is going to make the team play better, right? Didn't work then and it won't work now.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey

Apparently, if you make millions of dollars, somehow you turn into a superhuman that does not have emotions. Give me a break. Eberle's point is valid. The same with TMac above. Justin Schutlz deserved criticism, but the fans behaviour near the end of his tenure showed how classless this fanbase can be. Booing a player that isn't doing well isn't going to turn him around. If this is your team and you are truly a fan, then support your team win or lose. Save the *****ing for after the game. I am sure throwing your jersey on the ice is going to make the team play better, right? Didn't work then and it won't work now.

They get paid millions to play a game, how about they suck it up and quit whining how difficult their life is.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Still remember Terry Jones calling the team "gutless" and "heartless" after one of their playoffs loss years. Instead of crawling in the corner in the fetal position, those players took those comments as a challenge and made Jones eat them.

Reactions: RegDunlop

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Apparently, if you make millions of dollars, somehow you turn into a superhuman that does not have emotions. Give me a break. Eberle's point is valid. The same with TMac above. Justin Schutlz deserved criticism, but the fans behaviour near the end of his tenure showed how classless this fanbase can be. Booing a player that isn't doing well isn't going to turn him around. If this is your team and you are truly a fan, then support your team win or lose. Save the *****ing for after the game. I am sure throwing your jersey on the ice is going to make the team play better, right? Didn't work then and it won't work now.

There are always going to be a select few assholes who boo certain players who are struggling on the team. The vast majority of Oilers fans wanted Schultz to do well here but Schultz responded by being one of the worst dmen we have ever seen in his own zone. I think it comes down to the fact that certain players play better in the spotlight whereas others want to play in a market where no one gives a damn about them. Unfortunately most players prefer the latter even though the Canadian markets are the backbone of the league due to high demand. We are literally paying these millionaire hockey players to go win a cup on an American team where the attendance is usually sub par or worse. Sad.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
They get paid millions to play a game, how about they suck it up and quit whining how difficult their life is.

Yeah well it sure seems to work when we criticize our players (Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Dubnyk, Petry, Pouliot) so let’s just keep doing it then right? Because heavy criticism has worked so well for turning around our players in these past years?

1. Player struggles
2. Media and fans criticize him
3. Player continues to struggle
4. Player is traded

That’s the cycle Edmonton has found itself in, just look at the list of players above. Anyone who tells me heavy criticism is how you motivate millionaire athletes doesn’t learn too much from history.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Implying that every player who struggles here has got booed is just disingenuous.

The only players that have got any notable amount of boos are the ones who decided to deal with their struggles by giving up and quitting on the team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I don't believe in booing individual players, but I have no problem if the team mails it in, and it's painfully obvious. The group likely deserve some catcalls that night. Fans here are smart enough to know the difference between guys not giving an effort and just having a bad night. And I'm not talking about an unfortunate goal that goes in, in a 3-2 loss. I'm talking about getting throttled by a bottom dweller at home, after sucking throughout the season, and sucking for the last 10 years.

I honestly don't recall fans selecting Eberle as a scapegoat at a game and booing him mercilessly. The media may have gave some opinions over the course of the last year or so, but I think they were pretty mild compared to places like this board.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Oh come off it.

I'm a video game designer. I guess their should no longer be negative reviews of the games I design because it's going to make me sad and hurt any future games I make...right??

Or how about movies? Maybe viewers of the latest DC trash should just give thumbs up even though the product is garbage and they paid good money to watch garbage...but we don't want to hurt Zach Synder's feels so please...everyone...go easy on them negative comments!

Fans pay good money to watch you play. It's what drives your salary. They have EVERY RIGHT to complain when you suck. Be a professional like every other entertainment industry out there and suck it up....ignore most of it, and take some of it as advice or something to build from.

Grow. Up.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It's a problem with most Canadian fans , we're supposed to have a reputation as nice friendly people but in reality when it comes to hockey they are quite vicious and cruel to players. It's also a good reason why many players even Canadian born ones would rather play in the states than be degraded in Canadian cities. I will give a pass to Jets fans though they seem to back up there players instead of degrading them constant , They even defended Kane for the longest time.

You think the pressure and intense scrutiny from Canadian fans and media when it comes to the NHL is unique or anything compared to the scrutiny some markets in the NFL, NBA and MLB are under?

It's not as if these players are under the illusion that there are no expectations. If they can't hack it, perhaps a profession where they're not paid more in a year than the majority of humans will make in a lifetime makes a little more sense.

I'm not saying these players should be ridiculed endlessly, abused and threatened but expecting some measure of consistency and effort in a results driven business isn't out of bounds. Perhaps you're blurring the line between degradation and accountability. And also mistaking the minority for the majority. Eberle didn't have effigies of his likeness strung up around town or have his dogs abducted because of his poor play but the way some people in this thread are acting, you'd be tempted to believe horrific sins were committed and have been committed against players throughout the Oilers' history. Come on. There's common sense and there's being an apologist for the sake of being an apologist. Eberle was a player who looked like he mailed it in for long periods of his final years here while being paid handsomely. If he lost his confidence because of his own shortcomings, that's on him, not the fans.

Reactions: rboomercat90

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Yeah well it sure seems to work when we criticize our players (Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Dubnyk, Petry, Pouliot) so let’s just keep doing it then right? Because heavy criticism has worked so well for turning around our players in these past years?

1. Player struggles
2. Media and fans criticize him
3. Player continues to struggle
4. Player is traded

That’s the cycle Edmonton has found itself in, just look at the list of players above. Anyone who tells me heavy criticism is how you motivate millionaire athletes doesn’t learn too much from history.

You think only Edmonton criticises poor performing players? We aren't unique.

HumbleEgomaniac

Apr 23, 2015
There are always going to be a select few *******s who boo certain players who are struggling on the team. The vast majority of Oilers fans wanted Schultz to do well here but Schultz responded by being one of the worst dmen we have ever seen in his own zone. I think it comes down to the fact that certain players play better in the spotlight whereas others want to play in a market where no one gives a damn about them. Unfortunately most players prefer the latter even though the Canadian markets are the backbone of the league due to high demand. We are literally paying these millionaire hockey players to go win a cup on an American team where the attendance is usually sub par or worse. Sad.

Then became a pretty decent one, though a highly sheltered one in Pittsburgh that year, right? I guess a point I am trying to make is that the Oilers did a horrible job in developing Shultz, and the behaviour of fans near the end only compounded it. When you can feel the fanbase watching your every move, booing every mistake, it wouldn't matter how much money you are making, if you are struggling you are going to breakdown, and I am sure he did. Schultz is what he is, but Pittsburgh recognized that and went about using him for his strengths and rehabilitated the rest of his game and probably his mental state.

Read Weight's comments on Eberle. It is a very similar situation.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010

I know we aren’t, I never said we were the only ones. You’re deflecting from the point. It doesn’t matter what other teams are doing. I’m talking about Edmonton, and Edmonton treats it’s players poorly, especially when times are tough (note: times have been tough lately). And it affects the players performances.

Don’t misunderstand, I’m not saying to never criticize a player, that’s ridiculous. What I am saying is there are passionate fans in Edmonton and criticism is overbearing a lot of the time. And until the collective fans and media change their approach, players like Eberle will continue to struggle here with the attention they get.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Wow Ebs, you're actually held accountable for your performance like every single one of us working stiffs. Next time the boss gets upset I'm gonna tell him he's hurting my confidence. Next time a client isn't happy with our service I'm going to tell them they're hurting my feelings. f***ing deal with it, Eberle was treated like a God here for years

HumbleEgomaniac

Apr 23, 2015

No one is saying that, but Edmonton seems to have reputation to be worse than some other cities. A few ex-Oilers have mentioned it. Again, I am not saying criticism isn't warranted, but unlike other cities, Hockey is the biggest sport in this city, and with that I am sure the Bubble we create can intimidating for players especially when things go South. Look at Spector's ridiculous article on McDavid's performance, when McDavid was obviously in the middle of his flu. Every other reporter covering this team found out about the flu, but not Spec. Spec decided to take a dump on McDavid, for what? To be edgey? Oddly, he hasn't written on the Oilers much since.

Reactions: Jephman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad