News Article: Eberle had confidence issues by being an oiler

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011

he blames the edmonton media for his confidence issues..

“The Edmonton media can be pretty brutal and your confidence goes and this is a game you can’t play if you don’t have confidence,” Eberle said. “It’s that simple. It’s the Edmonton Oilers and everything around it. When you read articles every day about how much you suck, it’s tough.”

Ignore them.

“You can’t,” Eberle replied. “It affects you and I lost my confidence. The biggest thing for me since I got here with the Islanders, is trying to get that back.”

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Everyone this way!!! #FIRETHEMEDIA

simpsons-movie-mob-laser-time.gif

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
meh, it's the same in toronto and they don't suck. What a whiney baby. lol @ a news reporter ruining your confidence when you're getting paid 6mil a year. **** jordan.

No its not, fans are positive with that team, they actually think every player is awesome.

Us, nope, we have stupid Russel, brutal Lucic, Eberle was a lazy floater, Strome was the worst trade in the league.

Way way different.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Media gets pressure from the fans in this city. Read this board.

This team needs us the worst right now, and fans just want to blow everything up.

Worst fans in the league.

lol @ worst fans in the league who sell out an arena during 10 years of completely atrocious hockey. Maybe 5 percent of the fans listen to oilers now and post on hockey forums asking for the team to be blown up, but the other 95 percent are just bored / rich edmontonians that like hockey and support the team. Nothing wrong with the fan base or media, the players can't be this damn fragile. Certainly didn't effect gretzky and company

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
lol @ worst fans in the league who sell out an arena during 10 years of completely atrocious hockey. Maybe 5 percent of the fans listen to oilers now and post on hockey forums asking for the team to be blown up, but the other 95 percent are just bored / rich edmontonians that like hockey and support the team. Nothing wrong with the fan base or media, the players can't be this damn fragile. Certainly didn't effect gretzky and company

Gretzky and company? You think the media is the same 30 years ago as today?? Ok then......

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
No its not, fans are positive with that team, they actually think every player is awesome.

Us, nope, we have stupid Russel, brutal Lucic, Eberle was a lazy floater, Strome was the worst trade in the league.

Way way different.

Fans are fans in canada. Vancouver trashed their whole city when they lost in the finals, and their team manages to be good this year despite a seemingly worse roster than ours. All canadian fan bases are relatively the same with respect to their opinions of players. Suggesting otherwise is just ridiculous and based on nothing.

Reactions: shoop

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
meh, it's the same in toronto and they don't suck. What a whiney baby. lol @ a news reporter ruining your confidence when you're getting paid 6mil a year. **** jordan.
It's fans like you why players don't want to sign here. Oiler fans never get behind a player when they struggle ever, They demand he get shipped out like Eberle Schultz Dubnyk and on and on . So the Gm at the time moves them for peanuts no one ever allowed to rebound. Why is that every player that has left this organization never has a nice thing to say about it. Whitney Perron Eberle . Perron was a hero his 1st season next one fans all over him. Another wasted asset he still playing doing great in Vegas Paajarvi still with Blues.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Media gets pressure from the fans in this city. Read this board.

This team needs us the worst right now, and fans just want to blow everything up.

Worst fans in the league.
This team needs us like a hole in the head. Idiocy and emotional responses. It's like a PTSD episode and the only response is to purge all management.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He has a point, remember Rishaug's interview with Yakupov a few years back? Media guys ask the dumbest questions from guys struggling.

Reactions: Aerrol

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Gretzky and company? You think the media is the same 30 years ago as today?? Ok then......

The media only criticizes the players when they are hot garbage, which takes a while to get to. The media in toronto / montreal is definitely more vicious than it is here.

Reactions: Aerrol

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
It's fans like you why players don't want to sign here. Oiler fans never get behind a player when they struggle ever, They demand he get shipped out like Eberle Schultz Dubnyk and on and on . So the Gm at the time moves them for peanuts no one ever allowed to rebound. Why is that every player that has left this organization never has a nice thing to say about it. Whitney Perron Eberle . Perron was a hero his 1st season next one fans all over him. Another wasted asset he still playing doing great in Vegas Paajarvi still with Blues.

Hahaha, fans like me. Sorry but my opinions aren't in any way somehow transmitted to the players. You take this crap way too seriously, it's freakin hockey we're talking about, shooting a rubber disc on frozen ice. How can NHL athletes who give the most boring muted interviews ever be effected by articles etc written about them once theyu've been shitting the bed for months. This city turns on players after they've been terrible for a long stretch.

Edmonton is just a garbage franchise, and none of us will really ever know the reason's why without being a part of the organization. It's all just useless speculation from a bunch of clueless individuals.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Hahahaha, what a joke. Phil Kessel was a one-man show, one of the best players in the league (considering the help he had) while with the Leafs, and they ran his ass out of town. Not to mention that Kessel is one of the most likeable guys in the league.
Leafs fans are just the same as Oilers fans, when things aren't going good the players are going to get thrown under the bus.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Well, I thought it was obvious he lost confidence, you don't go from being an elite clutch finisher to hot garbage in a few years. I expected this bounce back from Eberle. Watch for him in the playoffs this year, he'll light it up. Too bad it couldn't be with us. At the end of the day he wasn't getting it done here, but man Chiarelli should have gotten more back for Ebs.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
its only because he feels welcome with the Islanders, but guess what he's new. any mew player is going to be welcomed in a new city. he's played well and he's played hard for them, so if course he's going to notice the difference

in edmontom after a decade of losing the fans are expecting big things with connor and eberle was old news

sometimes players need a fresh start to reinvigorate themselves thats all this is.

the guy you need to worry about is McDavid, he's got the world on his shoulders and this losing just makes it worse

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Well, I thought it was obvious he lost confidence, you don't go from being an elite clutch finisher to hot garbage in a few years. I expected this bounce back from Eberle. Watch for him in the playoffs this year, he'll light it up. Too bad it couldn't be with us. At the end of the day he wasn't getting it done here, but man Chiarelli should have gotten more back for Ebs.

he just targeted the wrong player, he wanted to save cap space so he took the cheaper option

the player he should have chosen was Brock Nelson. he has the elite shot that would work with McDavid.

Chia was offered either, but Nelson was more expensive.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The media was tough on Eberle? From what I remember they would kiss his ass on a regular basis. Classic case of a player trying to blame outside sources for his struggles. At the end of the day you're the one on the ice and you are accountable for your play or lack thereof.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Don't worry Jordan. If you get down to Edmonton levels there, with your lazy listless play, the media there will take your confidence too mate. Better find yourself a shrink dawg. Be pro-active.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
No surprise to me.

The Edmonton media and fans roast guys alive until they are traded for scraps and ran out of town. Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Petry, Dubnyk, Pouliot. All are picked apart for various reasons. Way too many examples for it to be the players’ fault in my opinion.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
These are athletes making millions of dollars playing a game for a living.

There are hundreds of millions of human beings on this planet that would give anything to be in the position they're in.

Suck it up. Deal with it. Learn how to compartmentalize. Hire a sports psychologist.

If you can't deal with pressure and criticism and better yourself because of it, you're not an ingredient on a Championship team.

What a baby.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Not surprised. Not everyone is built the same. Some players can't thrive in the excessive scrutiny. Doesn't mean it's still not their fault but it obviously plays a factor. If someone was analyzing every move you make at work and questioning your performance everyday then of course some of you would not be able to take it.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It's not the players tha suck it's the fans?

Damn I'm such a loser cheering for my hockey team.
Tell you what .. I quit. You can go make less money because the Oilers will never see another dime out of my pocket. All to help you precious baby milliionaire players.

Reactions: Dashh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad