News Article: Eberle had confidence issues by being an oiler

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Chicken or egg scenario: do the media and fans in Edmonton unfairly batter players, making them play poorly; or do the players play poorly for 10 consecutive years, making the media and fans harshly criticize the players.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
The fact that most people in this thread are still calling Eberle a wimp and a coward is ironic. Fans are delusioned about how poorly they treat players even after those players spell it out for them.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
The fact that most people in this thread are still calling Eberle a wimp and a coward is ironic. Fans are delusioned about how poorly they treat players even after those players spell it out for them.

I agree man, its especially hard on young players, I know I wasn't mature at 18, Hell I'm not even sure now. I'm mad at this team right now. A mature person wouldn't give a F

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I will repeat it again Oiler fans have no respect for good players they have used Gretzky and McDavid as expectations and anyone else is fodder. Already seeing Draisaitl get dumped on and he is PPG since last season including playoffs , Other fanbases would be so grateful to have a player of his skill and age not here he is not a 100 point guy .

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013

Haha, do you think that Eberle is reading this thread right now dude? The only contact fan's get with players is when we cheer for them when they score. You suck for years you deserve criticism and questioning from the media. Fan's only want to ship a player out once they've already checked out here and it's obvious by viewing their on ice play. Eberle should be thankful that he played in Edmonton and got to do commercials for ATB etc., that certainly isn't happening in New York.... a place where fan's truly dont give a rats A about the players.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
You get it they are the same rabid ones calling into radio demanding they get booted off team we get what we deserve as fans they only like they players when they are on hot scoring streaks .

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Well he is human and has feelings. Any person rich or poor can get depressed or feel pressured. I know if I was a pro and had all that negativity I would be pretty glum.
The other thing is he's being paid handsomely to play a sport that he loves.

Reactions: Aerrol

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Haha, do you think that Eberle is reading this thread right now dude? The only contact fan's get with players is when we cheer for them when they score. You suck for years you deserve criticism and questioning from the media. Fan's only want to ship a player out once they've already checked out here and it's obvious by viewing their on ice play. Eberle should be thankful that he played in Edmonton and got to do commercials for ATB etc., that certainly isn't happening in New York.... a place where fan's truly dont give a rats A about the players.
Yea NHL players read HF boards listen to radio have twitter and facebook . You seriously can't be this oblivious in life .

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Jeez. No wonder this team has been in the dumpster for so long with players like this.

Most competitive athletes would read "You suck" and think "f*** that. I'll show you", but then you've got Eberle who acts like it's alright to give up and quit on the team because the big bad media wrote an article about him.

Makes me wonder how many other players were this mentally weak.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Yea NHL players read HF boards listen to radio have twitter and facebook . You seriously can't be this oblivious in life .

And stuff from here always ends up on Sports Media. Reporters get have their interview ideas from this board. Happens all the time.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, it should just be rah rah rah. We should never get on a guy that makes his 6 million dollars (mainly through gate revenue from fans) and mails it in for a long time. Oh my bad, his confidence was gone.

He's just not a strong mental player like a Hall, McDavid, etc. He should hire a psychologist. Some guys can block it out. Some can't.

This is professional sports. Being criticized comes with the territory. Lets be real though, he was only criticized his last year here and with his dismal playoffs.

Reactions: Dashh

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Rofl, show me any proof of an NHL player reading HF boards. i'll wait. pro tip : you can't, muppet.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The funny thing is, our media are angels when you compare them to TO, Montreal, and even Vancouver a lot. Ebs would have retired if he played in To or Montreal already I guess.

Reactions: RegDunlop and Dashh

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Well he is human and has feelings. Any person rich or poor can get depressed or feel pressured. I know if I was a pro and had all that negativity I would be pretty glum.
The other thing is he's being paid handsomely to play a sport that he loves.
It's a problem with most Canadian fans , we're supposed to have a reputation as nice friendly people but in reality when it comes to hockey they are quite vicious and cruel to players. It's also a good reason why many players even Canadian born ones would rather play in the states than be degraded in Canadian cities. I will give a pass to Jets fans though they seem to back up there players instead of degrading them constant , They even defended Kane for the longest time.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Jeez. No wonder this team has been in the dumpster for so long with players like this.

Most competitive athletes would read "You suck" and think "**** that. I'll show you", but then you've got Eberle who acts like it's alright to give up and quit on the team because the big bad media wrote an article about him.

Makes me wonder how many other players were this mentally weak.

I actually agree with this too, I just think it chipped away at Eberle being a bad team for sooo long. I expected him to snap out of it in the playoffs, but he just didn't. I was and still am a huge Eberle fan, and I'm not really defending him. I could just see this as a realistic possibility.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I agree it can chip away at a human being after so long. They are human just like us.

I love that quote above though. The "real" competitive guys take quotes and push back. They use them as fuel. Eberle just took it and waited to be traded.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
We Booed Fricking Taylor Hall for no reason.

T Mac even said the Shultz trade was necessary because of how toxic things got towards him

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010

I didn’t say Eberle would read this thread. Funny you should say that though, if people are saying this on the internet then don’t you think this line of thinking (“Eberle is a wimp, etc. “) bleeds into the psyche of the city and fans? This thinking is heard when people call in on the radio, then news articles are written about it, and tweets are written too. That’s where the players see it. They aren’t deaf or blind, they are aware of what the fans are thinking.

Eberle was what he was. He is a 1/2 line winger, and a damn good one. He scored goals and that what he was paid to do. What did the fans and media want? They wanted him to hit more and play better defense—they wanted him to be something he wasn’t. In New York he is going to get paid 6 million to score 60 points and everyone will be happy, but few in Edmonton were happy when he was doing that.

We wanted more. And we want more from all our players. Petry wasn’t physically, Hall didn’t backcheck, Yak was eclectic, Dubnyk let in softies, Pouliot took too many penalties, the list goes on and on.

My point is we create unrealistic expectations and in the end we are left disappointed, no matter how good he player is. Eberle is saying exactly that if you read between the lines of the article.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Rofl, show me any proof of an NHL player reading HF boards. i'll wait. pro tip : you can't, muppet.
Are you serious you think NHL players don't follow the social scene of their own flipping league . Just stop you think Eberle is voicing his concerns from letters people wrote him .

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
No its not, fans are positive with that team, they actually think every player is awesome.

Us, nope, we have stupid Russel, brutal Lucic, Eberle was a lazy floater, Strome was the worst trade in the league.

Way way different.

This board also has trolls that are never dealt with. Site rules and all.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
The funny thing is, our media are angels when you compare them to TO, Montreal, and even Vancouver a lot. Ebs would have retired if he played in To or Montreal already I guess.

Just because we aren’t the worst media and fans in the League doesn’t mean we treat players well.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Yeah, it should just be rah rah rah. We should never get on a guy that makes his 6 million dollars (mainly through gate revenue from fans) and mails it in for a long time. Oh my bad, his confidence was gone.

He's just not a strong mental player like a Hall, McDavid, etc. He should hire a psychologist. Some guys can block it out. Some can't.

This is professional sports. Being criticized comes with the territory. Lets be real though, he was only criticized his last year here and with his dismal playoffs.

That's why we should have never fired Kreuger, remember Yakupov's rookie year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad