News Article: Eberle had confidence issues by being an oiler

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
When you factor in goals scored for the team, kind of important, he deserved to 'have it better than just about anyone' on the roster.[/QUOTE]

He did didn’t he?

Nobody was allowed to criticize him and a couple of others publicly for years. Smid and Peron were traded for doing so. The media themselves never printed or said a bad word about him for years, even though the team itself was horrible. Considering how much he was paid he had it very well here.

Expectations for this team changed after McDavid was drafted and Chiarelli and Mclellan came aboard. They demanded players compete a certain way. As the team improved around him, his play deteriorated. We all watched the games, don’t deny it didn’t happen. That he finally got some criticism shouldn’t have come as a surprise to anyone, especially him. The free ride is over when everyone else around you is giving everything they’ve got to try and win and you are bailing out on plays.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He did didn’t he?
Did what? Have it better than everybody else? I dunno about that.
I think RNH for one was lucky to get propped up by Hall and Eberle for the first three years of his career.
No way that guy is making six million without Hall and Eberle to make him look good those first few years.
Anyway, coach makes the lines. I wouldn't be bitching if Eberle had been demoted a couple of lines.
Sometimes his game probably did warrant a wake up call from the coach.
Fact is though, coach saw he was the best winger we had and played him in an appropriate place in the lineup.
You aren't going to convince me that he was consistently played above his abilities because he was leading some kind of charmed life or something.
Nobody was allowed to criticize him and a couple of others publicly for years. Smid and Peron were traded for doing so. The media themselves never printed or said a bad word about him for years, even though the team itself was horrible. Considering how much he was paid he had it very well here.
Nobody was 'allowed'? I call bull shit on that.
More like his game (top thirty goal scorer league wide since breaking into the NHL) was usually one of the least of the Oilers problems.
You say he was paid well. OK. I say he more than pulled his weight for this team. Seems fair.

As for Perron, are you talking about the guy who's worn out his welcome on a half dozen NHL teams? He should probably keep his mouth shut.
And Smid? Pffft. That guy was so useless by the time he was traded it makes Gryba look like a Norris candidate. Thank god MacT saw a chance to get something for him.
Expectations for this team changed after McDavid was drafted and Chiarelli and Mclellan came aboard.
Expectations may have changed but the product hasn't changed much. Here we are in last place again, except the Eberle haters have nobody to blame this time. Must be frustrating for them. McDavid is doing his part, Chiarelli and coach M, not so much. Maybe they should have focused more on doing their jobs instead of whining that Eberle sucks in the corners and then shipping him out for nothing.
They demanded players compete a certain way.
Maybe they should have realized that all NHL payers are not the same and don't compete the same way.
The guy who had chipped in on more than 40% of Oiler goals prior to the Hall trade wasn't the guy to be directing to the corners.
As the team improved around him, his play deteriorated. We all watched the games, don’t deny it didn’t happen.
He had a weak year. By his standards. And a weak playoffs. I do not accept that his game 'deteriorated'.
I'm also not sure the team 'improved' so much as McDavid carried the team, and we finally had a goalie able to stop some shots.
That he finally got some criticism shouldn’t have come as a surprise to anyone, especially him. The free ride is over when everyone else around you is giving everything they’ve got to try and win and your bailing out on plays.
I'll take Eberle at 70% over most of our wingers right now.

Last edited:

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Pretty sure Carey Price has had a lot more crap from the media/fans to deal with than Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yak combined.
Same with Koivu when people hated him because he wasn't french.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think RNH for one was lucky to get propped up by Hall and Eberle for the first three years of his career.
No way that guy is making six million without Hall and Eberle to make him look good those first few years.
Anyway, coach makes the lines. I wouldn't be *****ing if Eberle had been demoted a couple of lines.
Fact is though, coach saw he was the best winger we had and played him in an appropriate place in the lineup.
You aren't going to convince me that he was consistently played above his abilities because he was leading some kind of charmed life or something.
Nobody was 'allowed'? I call bull **** on that.
More like his game (top thirty goal scorer league wide since breaking into the NHL) was usually one of the least of the Oilers problems.
You say he was paid well. OK. I say he more than pulled his weight for this team. Seems fair.

As for Perron, are you talking about the guy who's worn out his welcome on a half dozen NHL teams? He should probably keep his mouth shut.
And Smid? Pffft. That guy was so useless by the time he was traded it makes Gryba look like a Norris candidate. Thank god MacT saw a chance to get something for him.
Expectations may have changed but the product hasn't changed much. Here we are in last place again, except the Eberle haters have nobody to blame this time. Must be frustrating for them. McDavid is doing his part, Chiarelli and coach M, not so much. Maybe they should have focused more on doing their jobs instead of whining that Eberle sucks in the corners and then shipping him out for nothing.
Maybe they should have realized that all NHL payers are not the same and don't compete the same way.
The guy who had chipped in on more than 40% of Oiler goals in his tenure wasn't the guy to be directing to the corners.
He had a weak year. By his standards. And a weak playoffs. I do not accept that his game 'deteriorated'.
I'm also not sure the team 'improved' so much as McDavid carried the team, and we finally had a goalie able to stop some shots.
Eberle was never criticized in the media until last year. We aren’t going to agree on whether or not he deserved any before then. He certainly deserved it last year as he had a terrible year. There are plenty that deserve it this year too. Nobody should be complaining about getting any when they underperform and are in a high profile position. It comes with the territory.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pretty sure Carey Price has had a lot more crap from the media/fans to deal with than Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yak combined.
Same with Koivu when people hated him because he wasn't french.

The media and fans in Edmonton are teddy bears compared to Toronto and Montreal.

I think actually what happened to Jordan is he was not able to handle the extra pressure after the McDavid lottery. Expectations on the franchise sky rocketed and all of the players were no longer given a free pass for underperforming.

And then when Hall was traded it got worse for Eberle because he was expected to step up and be the lead winger on the team and he could not handle the pressure. He cracked, went into the summer trying to change his shot, and collapsed under expectations.

That's also why I've said trading Hall was a mistake -- Eberle could not handle the stress to perform put on him, it was predictable, both he and RNH cannot perform on demand, they are fragile personalities and need to be coddled.

Last edited:
Reactions: McCanovin

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Nobody should be complaining about getting any when they underperform and are in a high profile position. It comes with the territory.
Was he complaining about the coverage or just saying that it caused him problems with his confidence. I liked @Dorian2 comment a few pages back. If Eberle's confidence took a hit what's wrong with admitting that?

Reactions: Dorian2

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Was he complaining about the coverage or just saying that it caused him problems with his confidence. I liked @Dorian2 comment a few pages back. If Eberle's confidence took a hit what's wrong with admitting that?

It seems odd to me, you'd think losing 333 games out of 540 over the years he was here would be a bigger blow than a couple bad articles.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Look at this headline by Eric Francis in Calgary. Granted it's not over hockey, it's the CFL, but you think you'd ever see the Edmonton media with a headline like this?

FRANCIS: Choke artist Stamps continue to shoot themselves in the foot

FRANCIS: Choke artist Stamps continue to shoot themselves in the foot

Francis is just as hard on the Flames if not more so. In reality I think Edmonton media is definitely softer than Toronto and Montreal and probably even more so than Calgary or Winnipeg. Edmonton's about par with Vancouver.

Spector is the toughest Edmonton media guy, and he's generally a bit of an idiot, but still I would say he's pretty easy going as long as you try.

Wasn't the Flames broadcast team just one year ago caught on a hot mic calling Dougie Hamilton a f***ing moron? EDIT: Yep.

“If you don’t rip Dougie Hamilton, I will. Stupidest [expletive] penalty you can take.”
“How about the T.J. Brodie one, too? But you’re right, that Dougie Hamilton one.”
“Does he had a [expletive] brain?”
“He doesn’t. He’s stupid as [expletive].”
“I don’t know him that well.”
“He’s not an intelligent guy.”
“You’re Mr. Flames, so you probably know him better than I do.”

Last edited:

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Also, another point:

This offseason was the one where Nuge took so much ****ing scrutiny, more so then he's ever got. From me, the media and a lot of fans. What did he do? He came back way better. That's the difference.
Hall and Ebs should take a page out of Nuge's book. Now that is a consummate professional. This guy has taken a beating recently.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It seems odd to me, you'd think losing 333 games out of 540 over the years he was here would be a bigger blow than a couple bad articles.
Its a fair point, couple of thoughts on it.
1. Did Eberle do less than he could have over those 540 games?
Maybe. But if he would have played like a demon every night it still wouldn't have been enough to change the fortunes of a roster that badly constructed.

2. Was it Eberle's fault the team lost 333 games?
No. That honor goes to Katz, Tamby, Eakins, MacT and Lowe in that order.

3. Do we know that losing 333 games didn't impact Eberle or contribute to his confidence issues?
No. It may have been part of the problem for him. Or not. I have no idea. But its not fair for you to suggest that is was water off his back.

Edit - I'm also not at all clear why posting that Price or Kessel or Hamilton or the Stamps also have it hard means anything. Like really, what does that prove? Nobody has suggested that Eberle was the most maligned sports figure of all times.

Reactions: Dorian2

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Its a fair point, couple of thoughts on it.
1. Did Eberle do less than he could have over those 540 games?
Maybe. But if he would have played like a demon every night it still wouldn't have been enough to change the fortunes of a roster that badly constructed.

2. Was it Eberle's fault the team lost 333 games?
No. That honor goes to Katz, Tamby, Eakins, MacT and Lowe in that order.

3. Do we know that losing 333 games didn't impact Eberle or contribute to his confidence issues?
No. It may have been part of the problem for him. Or not. I have no idea. But its not fair for you to suggest that is was water off his back.

Edit - I'm also not at all clear why posting that Price or Kessel or Hamilton or the Stamps also have it hard means anything. Like really, what does that prove? Nobody has suggested that Eberle was the most maligned sports figure of all times.
I think in general he needed a wake up call, it took getting traded before you would hear quotes like him trying to get faster to stay in the league.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey

Because a few people were saying Edmonton was the worst and no other city is bad like Edmonton.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Hall and Ebs should take a page out of Nuge's book. Now that is a consummate professional. This guy has taken a beating recently.
Consummate professional? Really?
I like RNH and all but of the three, he's the guy who did the least for his $6 million. By quite a bit.
Because a few people were saying Edmonton was the worst and no other city is bad like Edmonton.
Those people were wrong. I think we can agree on that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Consummate professional? Really?
I like RNH and all but of the three, he's the guy who did the least for his $6 million. By quite a bit.
If someone offered you 1.5x what you were worth, would you turn it down and be like no I dont deserve that?

This falls more on the GM that signed them rather than RNH.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Can anyone actually point out the "scathing" articles about Eberle?

Shouldn't be that hard.
I'm having a hard time remembering any article that singled out Eberle. He was untouchable for most of the time he was here despite numerous issues that could have been written about, such as his total disinterest in playing in the defensive zone, floating, or avoiding contact his final few years as an Oiler. The worst criticism I can remember was from the HNIC panel (Hrudey and Kypreos) when they showed video of him coasting back on a goal against. Did anyone in our media rip into him for starting the Ducks' rally in Game 4 because he was afraid of getting hit by Corey Perry? He was atrocious for most of the playoffs and got called out on it, but the criticism was no worse than what others also got or have gotten before.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
We're just talking about media scrutiny and how players handle it. Nuge keeps his mouth shut and works hard. I like that. Maybe that would change if he left. Hall could probably talk about Edmonton like an ex GF until he is 50. It's like there is something in the water here. Players love taking shots/talking about the city instead of owning up to things or just turning the other way.

The media in Edmonton are probably some of the nicest there is. Cgy is much tougher. Vancouver is tougher. Montreal and Toronto tougher. I guess that's why those guys are starting to flourish now. They play in markets where most people don't give a ****. Less pressure on them, Not every player can handle the pressure playing in a hockey mad city.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I love the double standard so many people operate under.
Lets see ... when it comes to public comments.

Oscar 'Big Game' Klefbom calls out Hall for no reason. Applause all round hfoil.
Ben 'Five Hole' Scrivens seconds Klefbom's ill advised comments on Hall for no reason. Applause all round hfoil.
Andrew 'Tweet Master' Ference wades in to criticize team mates for no reason. Applause all round hfoil.

Sheldon Souray calls out management. Gets absolutely crucified on hfoil.
Hall and Eberle call out toxic environment. Get absolutely crucified on hfoil.

So what we learn is that throwing your team mates under a bus publicly is just fine with fans on this site.
Calling out media, management, toxic environment (like we all do on this site daily) is a big no no and will result in hundreds of simple minded posts reviling the player bold enough to do so. This in spite of the fact that we know the latter is true while the former remains only cheap speculation.

Laughable stuff right here folks.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I love the double standard so many people operate under.
Lets see ... when it comes to public comments.

Oscar 'Big Game' Klefbom calls out Hall for no reason. Applause all round hfoil.
Ben 'Five Hole' Scrivens seconds Klefbom's ill advised comments on Hall for no reason. Applause all round hfoil.
Andrew 'Tweet Master' Ference wades in to criticize team mates for no reason. Applause all round hfoil.

Sheldon Souray calls out management. Gets absolutely crucified on hfoil.
Hall and Eberle call out toxic environment. Get absolutely crucified on hfoil.

So what we learn is that throwing your team mates under a bus publicly is just fine with fans on this site.
Calling out media, management, toxic environment (like we all do on this site daily) is a big no no and will result in hundreds of simple minded posts reviling the player bold enough to do so. This in spite of the fact that we know the latter is true while the former remains only cheap speculation.

Laughable stuff right here folks.

Toxic environment? Here comes the hyperbole train. Jordan was given every opportunity for success in Edmonton.

Top six minutes, Given an A, Constant PP time, no defensive responsibilities, 6 million dollars and was seen as ambassador for the oilers brand.

Just cause the media gets on him ONCE in his entire career and RIGHTFULLY so, that constitutes a toxic environment?

I personally love how brave Jordan is for standing up against the wicked hand of the oilers organization, one that gave him every single opportunity to be a great player (which btw he achieved for the majority of his time here), and the totalitarian media.

Some just don’t appreciate the heroism. Forgive HF. After all, we’re just simple minded ;).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Anyway, coach makes the lines. I wouldn't be *****ing if Eberle had been demoted a couple of lines.
Nobody was 'allowed'? I call bull **** on that.

The guy who had chipped in on more than 40% of Oiler goals prior to the Hall trade wasn't the guy to be directing to the corners.

Double edged sword in my mind. Had he actually played for a competent organization, he would have gradually moved into the lineup, likely even playing a year or 2 in the AHL before being called up. Limited chances, and more limited oportunities. The benefits would have been protection in the lineup and the chance to enjoy a winning, stable atmosphere.

The other side of the sword was being thrown into the starting lineup almost immediately, and in a top 3 position, simply due to no competition. Little chance for solid and safe growth, but also, tons of minutes, lots of chances to pad stats, and ultimately get that long term whopping deal, and when he was scoring, he was idolized here, which was most of his term. Last year, as the team finally turned into something and moved up the standings, he looked lost. And the playoffs were the place his many admirers said he would shine, due to his WJC days. Instead, the opposite was true. He shrunk badly in the ultimate spotlight, so much so, he had to be demoted down the lineup near the end.

So, for the most part, I think the media was very kind to him, regardless of the circumstances, throughout most of his career here.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A lot of guys have been traded from this team, that were upset they were moved. Ryan Smyth is one that stands out. Even Hall appeared upset when he was moved. If the media and fans are so bad in this city, I wonder why he kept commenting to the media about how upset he was that he got moved?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Oh look. Its Eberle with his tenth tonight.
Addition by subtraction. hfoil math style.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Oh look. Its Eberle with his tenth tonight.
Addition by subtraction. hfoil math style.
And what a snipe it was . Oh well time to get behind Strome and just goes to show again when fans get the blinders of hate on for a player reality escapes them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad