News Article: Eberle had confidence issues by being an oiler

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Good Riddance you $6million wuss, grow a pair. Connor and the boys got you finally in the playoffs and you showed what you were made of!

Reactions: longtimeoilfan

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The fans in Philly were all chanting in unison last night to fire Dave Hakstol. But our fans are horrible. LOL.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The fans in Philly were all chanting in unison last night to fire Dave Hakstol. But our fans are horrible. LOL.
Those chants are hard to get going too. If you can’t get them going quickly you stick out like a sore thumb. I’m pretty sure some of the guys that tried at Rexall a few years ago were hauled off by security and never heard from again. (I’m kidding of course...kind of)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The key to having non stop fan and media negativity is losing all the time. The real culprits are Lowe and Friends. The amount of crap people watching and covering the Oilers have gone through is unprecedented for a market were fans actually care. If you missed the playoffs for 10 years straight in montreal, the fans probably would have burned down their arena.

In any case, even though Hall says the negativity can affect you, it never seemed to affect him. Doubt it could, kid is way to proud to let anything get in the way of how he wants to play, even the coach. Ebs on the other hand, if he has skin that thin, maybe it is best for him to play on a team where fans just stop watching and caring, and the media coverage focuses on other sports if the team is doing poorly. Funny how the negativity didn't affect him before, but I guess last year actually had real expectations that were within reach for the first time in his career in Edmonton.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The key to having non stop fan and media negativity is losing all the time. The real culprits are Lowe and Friends. The amount of crap people watching and covering the Oilers have gone through is unprecedented for a market were fans actually care. If you missed the playoffs for 10 years straight in montreal, the fans probably would have burned down their arena.

I think you're getting Hab fans confused with Canuck fans.:D:laugh:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

In any case, even though Hall says the negativity can affect you, it never seemed to affect him. Doubt it could, kid is way to proud to let anything get in the way of how he wants to play, even the coach. Ebs on the other hand, if he has skin that thin, maybe it is best for him to play on a team where fans just stop watching and caring, and the media coverage focuses on other sports if the team is doing poorly. Funny how the negativity didn't affect him before, but I guess last year actually had real expectations that were within reach for the first time in his career in Edmonton.
Well put.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Give me a break Eberle. The quality of play he spit out last season was horrible.

What is the media suppose to do, turn a blind eye and coddle you?

Reactions: longtimeoilfan

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The one thing I find funny is all these guys seem to think there was an issue, some admit it hurt them. So why if they are seeing this didn't any of them take another rookie in Yakupov under their wings and protect him when he was struggling?

Just seems to show the character of guys.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Give me a break Eberle. The quality of play he spit out last season was horrible.

What is the media suppose to do, turn a blind eye and coddle you?

The sad thing with Eberle is that the media did coddle him and the otheres. For the longest time, it was Tambo or coach's fault for not bringing the right support etc etc. It was only when McDavid was playing for us was when expectations out of him individually was higher and media criticism increased.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

North

Jun 25, 2009
I honestly don't recall any article ripping Ebs at any point in time
was it last year's playoffs? I mean, score a goal and contribute then the media wouldn't be on you Jordan

he was a good player for the Oilers during the very bad times despite most of HF wanting him gone last year:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/eberle-must-go.2150003/page-42

(I defended him a lot in that thread)

Jordan had a tough year and got some criticism but I think other players have had it worse.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The one thing I find funny is all these guys seem to think there was an issue, some admit it hurt them. So why if they are seeing this didn't any of them take another rookie in Yakupov under their wings and protect him when he was struggling?

Just seems to show the character of guys.
Because Yakupov asked to be traded twice and made it very clear he was playing for himself and not the team?

Reactions: VainGretzky

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

This seems a bit revisionist to me and not necessarily supported by data.

Hall's seasons ranged from 0.65ppg to 1.11ppg that's a huge swing of 0.46ppg.
Eberle's seasons ranged from 0.62 to 0.97... a swing of 0.35ppg

The last three years here Hall scored 1.07, 0.72, 0.79 ppg... his regression was 26%
The last three years here Eberle scored 0.78, 0.68, 0.62 for a regression of 21%

Hall's average ppg in Edmonton was 0.86. His actual season by season stats were "close" (let's say +/- 0.10) to 0.86 exactly twice in 6 years.
Eberle's average ppg in Edmonton was (interestingly) also 0.75 and there are 4 of 7 seasons when he was right in that range.

Someone can do a standard deviation on that... but Hall was the far less consistent player. Clearly more impacted by the things going on around him that Eberle.

Frankly I think they were both impacted by the negativity, and I don't blame them... but to me Eberle was by far the more consistent of the two (don't confuse that with more talented).

Even in his last season, Hall was playing terrible with McDavid, then lighting it up with Draisaitl (well over a point per game), then moping again when McDavid came back and they weren't reunited. He ended up at 0.79 after having been among the league leaders in scoring for much of the time McDavid was away.

Reactions: oilers'72

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
For my take... I thought Eberle's offense last year was dreadful, but it was the ONLY year I actually saw him commit to defensive play. I honestly thought he'd bought in. In his first 2-3 playoff games he was even HITTING on the forecheck instead of turning away from the D.

I do think the criticism last year had everything to do with him not putting up numbers and had NOTHING to do with a real (positive) change in what we all hated about him before... poor defensive play and commitment to the team structure. I saw him fix that last year but unfortunately his numbers dipped and he hadn't changed peoples minds about his poorer traits (it takes longer to erase years of poor defensive play, since any new F-up just reminds you of the past).

In contrast offense is all about "what have you done for me lately", it's so much easier to see the output.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Hahaha, fans like me. Sorry but my opinions aren't in any way somehow transmitted to the players. You take this crap way too seriously, it's freakin hockey we're talking about, shooting a rubber disc on frozen ice. How can NHL athletes who give the most boring muted interviews ever be effected by articles etc written about them once theyu've been ****ting the bed for months. This city turns on players after they've been terrible for a long stretch.

Edmonton is just a garbage franchise, and none of us will really ever know the reason's why without being a part of the organization. It's all just useless speculation from a bunch of clueless individuals.

Your opinions on this board aren't transmitted to the players but fans at home games what start booing a player every time he touch the puck when he is struggling can get to a player . Every player has a burning desire to be the best they can be . Heck if they weren't competitive they would never have made the NHL . Being heckle and booed constantly would be emontionly draining and that is worst then physical

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Your opinions on this board aren't transmitted to the players but fans at home games what start booing a player every time he touch the puck when he is struggling can get to a player . Every player has a burning desire to be the best they can be . Heck if they weren't competitive they would never have made the NHL . Being heckle and booed constantly would be emontionly draining and that is worst then physical

I never remember Eberle getting booed by fans, when did this happen?

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
Hockey players disagree with you.
No regrets, Souray says

"For instance, the reception in Montreal from a blowout might be a little more severe there than in Edmonton, he (Souray) suggested."

Come on, that's hardly definitive. What are Sheldon's thoughts after being run out of Edmonton?

People think they have a right to spit vitriol and overreact to everything. Well have fun, I guess. Depressing to watch the team and getting even harder to find common ground with "fellow" fans. If it helps your blood-flow, go ahead and prattle on about "man up" this, and "baby" that - clearly it's so damn effective.

Reactions: harpoon

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Because Yakupov asked to be traded twice and made it very clear he was playing for himself and not the team?
While true, he wasn't like that at the start when guys like Rishaug ragged on him left right and center.

Feb 9, 2013
Writing "good riddance" might be a little harsh, but I am not sorry to see him gone. I was never really a fan, and didn't like it when he was drafted.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
While true, he wasn't like that at the start when guys like Rishaug ragged on him left right and center.
I see. So what you are saying is that Eberle or Hall or Schultz or somebody should have seen Rishaug's unfavorable comments and stepped up to support Yakupov. I agree that would have been nice.

Just to be clear, I've never defended Eberle 'the person' or Hall 'the person' because I don't know them. Maybe they both were kind of cold to Yakupov, who knows. I'm defending the hockey players and the contribution to the team. Its a lot harder for me to muster up sympathy for Yakupov because he so rarely contributed anything. And then he publicly asked to be traded before even playing a season's worth of games in Edmonton.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I see. So what you are saying is that Eberle or Hall or Schultz or somebody should have seen Rishaug's unfavorable comments and stepped up to support Yakupov. I agree that would have been nice.

Just to be clear, I've never defended Eberle 'the person' or Hall 'the person' because I don't know them. Maybe they both were kind of cold to Yakupov, who knows. I'm defending the hockey players and the contribution to the team. Its a lot harder for me to muster up sympathy for Yakupov because he so rarely contributed anything. And then he publicly asked to be traded before even playing a season's worth of games in Edmonton.
Either defended or stood up for the guy and made him feel welcomed. When you seen the social media pics Yak was never apart of the team. And it's fine if guys have different interests, but when a guy is being picked on maybe you as a teammate should just tell him "I don't care you are coming out and being with the boys tonight". Or find something different to do that works for him

Some times guys need to be forced a little more as they are shy.

Instead Yak spent his time by himself or with the homeless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad