Recalled/Assigned: Eaves and Glendening recalled

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'm wondering if Holland doesn't think they're good enough and is planning on packaging them away - but he doesn't want to tip off the rest of the NHL by actually playing them in the big league.

Then again he said 2 guys in GR would definately be on the roster next year. If not Sheahan/Ferraro/Callahan, then who?

I believe Almquist is out of waiver options next year as well.

I'm not buying the whole not good enough/gonna try to trade em statement. Another team would have the same concerns as to why Holland won't give them a chance and most likely would not give up anything of worthwhile value for them. The Wings have invested a lot in these guys. They owe it to themselves and to the players to let them show what they can do in the NHL. It's not like Emmerton ever did anything great in the AHL to show he was NHL ready, Wings still gave him a chance in the NHL. I don't see how Sheahan or Ferraro are any worse than emmerton.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Every time I've watched Ferraro he looks exactly like what our 3rd/4th line could use. I'm not the biggest Sheahan fan but want to see what he can do on the 4th line, hopefully next year it will actually be a compition for spots and not be guaranteed like always

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Really makes you wonder what's going on. This year has just been a disaster for Holland. Starting to wonder if losing Nill is going to have a bigger effect than most thought. He seemed to have a really good handle on the prospects. Holland just doesn't seem to give them much consideration. Nill has young guys up and down Dallas' lineup. Holland prefers the old timers. :help:

A couple things, a bunch of the guys you reference were in the lineup before he got there. He had the pieces to make the Seguin move and I like it, but what were the other things he did right away.

He went and got Gonchar, traded for Horcoff, and Peverley isn't exactly young. He actually made the Stars quite a bit older in his first few steps, then because he had the pieces he went after Seguin with Peverley. He also bumped up the Texas Stars age with a couple of veteran signings at the AHL level.

He has the 8th oldest team in the NHL, average age 28.08. Wings 2nd 28.85. That is not a world of difference and one could quite easily argue that part of what the Seguin move masked was the fact they got decidedly more veteran in the off-season. One of the first things he did at both the AHL and NHL level was veteran depth.

Nichushkin was a play him or he leaves to Russia and might not come back draft pick. Like that he did it, but my guess is you're about to watch Nill set up a very similar system to what we have in Detroit. As soon as he can get his depth in place it will look oddly familiar.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wish Sheahan was up, but for the record Glendening is a lot better hockey player than he seems to get credit for whenever he comes up. Really solid competitor with a non-stop motor, will score the odd net mouth scramble goal, defensively sound, skates hard, sticks up for teammates, loves board battles, really solid on the pk and face-off dot while actually providing us with a right handed center. Not sure what you guys are looking for, but that is a lot going for him honestly, he can also play all three forward positions.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I wish Sheahan was up, but for the record Glendening is a lot better hockey player than he seems to get credit for whenever he comes up. Really solid competitor with a non-stop motor, will score the odd net mouth scramble goal, defensively sound, skates hard, sticks up for teammates, loves board battles, really solid on the pk and face-off dot while actually providing us with a right handed center. Not sure what you guys are looking for, but that is a lot going for him honestly, he can also play all three forward positions.

At this point, it seems like we know what we have with Glendening. A capable 4th line center who is an upgrade to Emmerton but doesn't seem like much more than that. All the things you said of course.

But people had higher hopes for Sheahan and Callahan. And personally I'd like to see if those hopes were well-founded or not before we lose them this next season.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
A couple things, a bunch of the guys you reference were in the lineup before he got there. He had the pieces to make the Seguin move and I like it, but what were the other things he did right away.

He went and got Gonchar, traded for Horcoff, and Peverley isn't exactly young. He actually made the Stars quite a bit older in his first few steps, then because he had the pieces he went after Seguin with Peverley. He also bumped up the Texas Stars age with a couple of veteran signings at the AHL level.

He has the 8th oldest team in the NHL, average age 28.08. Wings 2nd 28.85. That is not a world of difference and one could quite easily argue that part of what the Seguin move masked was the fact they got decidedly more veteran in the off-season. One of the first things he did at both the AHL and NHL level was veteran depth.

Nichushkin was a play him or he leaves to Russia and might not come back draft pick. Like that he did it, but my guess is you're about to watch Nill set up a very similar system to what we have in Detroit. As soon as he can get his depth in place it will look oddly familiar.

i don't mind at all if average age is high. or low.

i just want to win.

it becomes similar if oleksiak and others prove they are ready but still get sent down next year bc he re-signs cole and other crap, then it becomes similar.

he didn't sign cleary when the roster was overloaded already. didn't trade first for quincey.

who would they have playing on better level or better suited for their job than gonchar, horcoff and peverley? gonch is passable when his minutes are limited and he can mentor big val (who might have the highest potential of all 13 draftees and have no doubt he will be the best winger of the draft). he's been disappointment imo, though. horcoff is ok though he kills offense but he's a solid vet and isn't blocking anyone right now. peverley is good at what he does.

and horcoff and gonch didn't really cost anything.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
At this point, it seems like we know what we have with Glendening. A capable 4th line center who is an upgrade to Emmerton but doesn't seem like much more than that. All the things you said of course.

But people had higher hopes for Sheahan and Callahan. And personally I'd like to see if those hopes were well-founded or not before we lose them this next season.

I don't think they are losing Sheahan or Ferraro unless they are dealt as a part of something. I do think they might try to sneak Mitch through waivers next year, frankly I don't think it matters. We also might as well avoid those that think Callahan is some sort of big physical threat. He has put himself into a position to earn an NHL job in a large part because no longer plays like a lot of the people championing his move to the roster believe. He became a solid hockey player, but is still behind Sheahan and Ferraro. Glendening also likely has a huge advantage in terms of how the Wings look at these players. Ferraro is actually a better forechecker and hitter than Callahan.

Really the best thing for Mitch Callahan would probably be to get out of this organization. I like him a great deal despite the fact I have always questioned his NHL future, guy is a hard worker. Callahan really has done a very good job under Blashill, who absolutely saved his hockey career with some tough love benching and then trust when he would do the right things afterwards. The player Mitch Callahan is would be one of the bigger compliments I can give Blashill. But if we try to sneak him through waivers and it doesn't work out oh well. There is a decent chance it will though at which point if Ferraro or Sheahan or somebody else shows problems they can waive them instead. Would like to watch a couple of these GR kids make Drew Miller or Joakim Andersson expendable in the eyes of management. They can all push each other down at that end of the roster.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i don't mind at all if average age is high. or low.

i just want to win.

it becomes similar if oleksiak and others prove they are ready but still get sent down next year bc he re-signs cole and other crap, then it becomes similar.

he didn't sign cleary when the roster was overloaded already. didn't trade first for quincey.

who would they have playing on better level or better suited for their job than gonchar, horcoff and peverley? gonch is passable when his minutes are limited and he can mentor big val (who might have the highest potential of all 13 draftees and have no doubt he will be the best winger of the draft). he's been disappointment imo, though. horcoff is ok though he kills offense but he's a solid vet and isn't blocking anyone right now. peverley is good at what he does.

and horcoff and gonch didn't really cost anything.

Jim Nill has been one of Quincey's bigger supporters in the organization, find it hard to believe he was against that move. Would even say that is probably one of the teams that calls Quincey this off-season.

Nill is the one that called Quincey a physical 4-6 D-man during his entire development. He believes in his skill set in the role we tried adopting him into with miserable results.

My only point was he did go get veterans, really especially at the AHL level were they got a lot older and have some of those older guys in bigger roles. We will see what Nill does, but Stevie also immediately slowed some of the developmental paths in Tampa, I expect Nill to do similar.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Jim Nill has been one of Quincey's bigger supporters in the organization, find it hard to believe he was against that move. Would even say that is probably one of the teams that calls Quincey this off-season.

Nill is the one that called Quincey a physical 4-6 D-man during his entire development. He believes in his skill set in the role we tried adopting him into with miserable results.

possible.

but i would be very surprised.

i'd like some source for the last sentence. (i can't recall that and it would make my feel a little better, lol)

My only point was he did go get veterans, really especially at the AHL level were they got a lot older. We will see what Nill does, but Stevie also immediately slowed some of the developmental paths in Tampa, I expect Nill to do similar.

they don't have lot of prospects on AHL level. who could be said to have NHL potential.

acquiring (serviceable) vets isn't bad thing.

acquiring garbage and not icing the best roster is bad thing.

the wings have done (in the past) pretty good job with their vets and nill is big believer in that too. his actions and words definitely support that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
possible.

but i would be very surprised.

i'd like some source for the last sentence. (i can't recall that and it would make my feel a little better, lol)

they don't have lot of prospects on AHL level. who could be said to have NHL potential.

acquiring (serviceable) vets isn't bad thing.

acquiring garbage and not icing the best roster is bad thing.

the wings have done (in the past) pretty good job with their vets and nill is big believer in that too. his actions and words definitely support that.

During development he was quite high on his defensive abilities early.

“Kyle’s not going to be an offensive guy. He’s going to have to be a real safe No. 4 to No. 6 defenseman that will play safe and steady and play with offensive energy.” — Nill (2004)

“He’s a hard guy to play against, and kind of an in-your-face type of defenseman, and plays hard … I think you’re looking at a real solid four-to-six defenseman. He’s going to be a steady guy who plays hard in your face all the time, and is going to play hard and make forwards pay the price. And he’s got good enough stick skills that he makes a real safe first pass.” — Nill (2004)

“He brings an element of something we don’t have a lot of on our team, a pretty physical type of player, and he’s just a steady, solid defenseman who makes a smart first pass and plays the man.” — Nill (2005)

http://www.redwingscentral.com/vault/kyle-quincey/

He never exactly had a lot of bad things to say about him, even drafted him a little above his slotted draft position. I think Nill was one of his bigger fans in the organization and had a trust for Quincey's defensive abilities.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I am happy with this just because Eaves is such a cool guy.

Agreed. I hate watching him in the AHL. I hope he can come up, perform, and possibly get dealt. I could also see him on the third line instead of Miller at certain points. Miller has surprisingly looked well though

Good for Eaves. Why no Toots!?

Roster room. Eaves is ebtter than Tootoo, and Glendening was brought up to soley player centre. I also don't get the Glendening hate (not saying you here). He's a solid fourth line defensive forward who is a right handed shot.

And the last time Sheahan was called up, management determined he wasn't anywhere close to being ready for the NHL. Sheahan is a big canadian kid, if Babcock says he isn't ready, he isn't ready.

Agreed again. I can't believe some of the posters here said he'd do better than Joakim Andersson right now on line 3. Crazy. Sheahan is more of a long-term prospect, though he has been iN Grand Rapids for a couple seasons. I'm not against calling him up though. Against Pittsburgh may not be the best idea though.

well kenny says a lots of things but

sheahan, jurco, ferraro and callahan are options. maybe he included mrazek too. that would be 5 kids of which 2 would make the roster next year.

but just 7 months ago he reportedly tried to trade jurco and sheahan (along with 2nd rounder) for bouwmeester.

edit. and yeah. almquist too.

Adam Almquist and Petr Mrazek perhaps. Mitch Callahan, Riley Sheahan, and Landon Ferraro may have a chance to make the team out of camp. This is Detroit, so we'll probably make a free agent signing rather than them coming up, even if they're ready or close to it.

I still don't think Ferraro or Callahan will be in the orginization long-term. Too good for Grand Rapids/out of options, and can't make Detroit.

Tomas Jurco seems very close though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can't believe some of the posters here said he'd do better than Joakim Andersson right now on line 3.

Theres' no way to know if he would or wouldn't. But it's certainly not crazy to think so.

Again to add some context. That quote from Babcock was from April, and Sheahan was called up absolutely last-second. Several of the guys that are on the team now looked shaky in their fist call-up. I think that quote is being a little over-played.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Glendening is fine as a 4th liner, but he and Eaves are not going to address the complete lack of skill that comprises about 50% of our forwards. Seriously:

Z
Pavs
Mule
Alfie
Tatar
Nyquist

And...:shakehead

Recall Jurco and Glendening. Then you start addressing obvious needs.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Ideally you want a good mix of vets and young guys. That's what Nill was trying achieve by bringing in guys like Gonchar and Horcoff. He already had enough youth in the lineup. If Holland had his way Tats and Gus would still be waiver exempt and playing in Grand Rapids....Say the Wings drafted Nichuskin...do you think they would have let him play on the team this year? I'd say hell no, they'd let him keep playing in Russia for a couple more years before they even entertained the idea of bringing him over.

Seguin, Benn, Chaisson, Eakin, Roussel, Jeffery, Dillon, Oleksiak, and Nichuskin all 25 or younger. That's enough youth for one team. He's not trying to be the Edmonton Oilers...

tunasnacks*

Eaves and Glendening? Kind of weak. I like Eaves, but our team lacks serious scoring prowess. Should have called Sheahan/Ferraro and Jurco.

According to Holland, this is a grown man's league, not kids playing... Probably will make them sit in GR to "mature" for a few more years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad