Recalled/Assigned: Eaves and Glendening recalled

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Good for Eaves. Why no Toots!?

This.
If roster space is an issue, I would waive Sammy as well. (I know he gives only 100K space but that's not an issue with Z on LTIR).

Also I would try someone other than Glendening. We already saw how he plays. Why not try some other centers.

Last edited:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
This.
If roster space is an issue, I would waive Sammy as well. (I know he gives only 100K space but that's not an issue with Z on LTIR).

Also I would try something other than Glendening. We already saw how he plays. Why not try some other centers.

This. Sheahan and Ferraro are both natural centers aren't they, and their waiver exemption runs out after this season so why not call both of them up for 4th line duties and see what they can do.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The fact that they recalled Eaves makes me curious. Are we planning on sitting another forward? Is Eaves any good at the shootout?

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
The fact that they recalled Eaves makes me curious. Are we planning on sitting another forward? Is Eaves any good at the shootout?

We were forced to play both Sammy and Cleary last game with no extra forward.
Eaves will replace one of them.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
We were forced to play both Sammy and Cleary last game with no extra forward.
Eaves will replace one of them.

Ah, duh. I did the GDT but forgot about Weiss being down again.

I'm betting Eaves replaces Sammy.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I cant for the life of me understand why they keep calling up Glendening instead of checking out our natural centers... Waive Samuelsson and send him down, keep eaves down and call up one of toots or glendening together with a center.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is pretty stupid. Should have called up Ferraro or Sheahan. Or Sheahan or Jurco.

Kind of weird Ferraro and Sheahan are out of waivers next year and they're just not getting called up.

They just gona throw em in the fire and hope for the best, or are they not in the plans?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
This is pretty stupid. Should have called up Ferraro or Sheahan. Or Sheahan or Jurco.

Kind of weird Ferraro and Sheahan are out of waivers next year and they're just not getting called up.

They just gona throw em in the fire and hope for the best, or are they not in the plans?

They were high picks. That can't be the case. I still believe this is Babcock making the call. He wants to play his way and trusts Glendenning and Eaves.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They were high picks. That can't be the case. I still believe this is Babcock making the call. He wants to play his way and trusts Glendenning and Eaves.

Thank god Babcocks not GM. He'd trade all our 1st and 2nd round picks for 5th and 6th rounders with no skill and roll out a team of grinders.

crashman

Glendening hasn't done jack **** in any of the games he's played in Detroit this season. I don't get Babcock's mancrush on him.

It's good to see Eaves get the call-up though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Works for me. Glendening and Eaves should massively improve our 4th line. Good reward for Eaves' good play down in GR.
As for Glendening I like what I've seen and I think Babcock has him in his plans for the team come playoff time so I bet that's why he gets another call-up instead of Ferraro/Sheahan/Callahan/Jurco who have basically zero chance of being on the team this season.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
So are we looking at

Eaves-Glendenning-Clears ?

Pretty meh. I really want Tatar and Nyquist on the same line.

Alfie-Dats-Bert
Tatar-Mule-Nyquist
Miller-Andersson-Gator
Eaves-Glenden-Cleary/Sammy

a 4th line of

Ferraro/Eaves-Sheahan/Gator-Toots would be worlds better.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Doesn't seem like they have much faith in Sheahan

Which is odd given that what endears Glendening to Babs is the same stuff that Sheahan does well (plays with structure, is on the right side of the player and puck, good on the draw, defensively responsible, good stick position, yadda).

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Which is weird because he was called up once or twice the past couple years to play a few games IIRC. I think this is all Babcock. Glendenning is his boy. He trusts Glendenning.

And the last time Sheahan was called up, management determined he wasn't anywhere close to being ready for the NHL. Sheahan is a big canadian kid, if Babcock says he isn't ready, he isn't ready.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Works for me. Glendening and Eaves should massively improve our 4th line. Good reward for Eaves' good play down in GR.
As for Glendening I like what I've seen and I think Babcock has him in his plans for the team come playoff time so I bet that's why he gets another call-up instead of Ferraro/Sheahan/Callahan/Jurco who have basically zero chance of being on the team this season.

:laugh: That speaks volumes about how awful our 4th line has been. Glendening isn't anything special, a marginal-if-at-all upgrade over Emmerton. I'd rather have Eaves in place of Cleary or Sammy, but then again I'd much rather see Jurco up in the top 9 somewhere to provide more scoring punch.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
And the last time Sheahan was called up, management determined he wasn't anywhere close to being ready for the NHL. Sheahan is a big canadian kid, if Babcock says he isn't ready, he isn't ready.

The last time he was up, Babs wasn't impressed:

"He was OK, but he's going to get a trip to the minors (today)," Babcock said. "He's going to be a player for us, but he's got to get quicker and he's got to have more pace to his game. When you're ready and you come here, you show you're ready.

"When you're not quite, then you're going to get caught."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/04/rookie_riley_sheahan_not_ready.html

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1 game back in April seems like a pretty lame excuse not to call up Sheahan in December.

Nyquist and Tatar weren't that impressive in their first game either. Then look at them 20 games later. Using 1 game is a pretty crappy excuse to call up an undrafted dude that can't even win draws over a 1st rounder out if options next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad