Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
There has been some improvements in 1.5 in this area if you check the change notes, but mostly on the front end (where if we hard code a name of someone in the database for historical record, but that name isn't linked to an active staff it won't generate a random name pulled from the nationality pool). Also historical records are now properly generated from all career/team histories as a new game is started.

Riz mentioned on his twitter (back in 2017. or 2018.) that he worked on improving 2d engine. I didn't see this mentioned in 1.5 changelist. Is list of changes not complete or this 2d improvements are postponed for 1.6 update ?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
@xECK29x I've noticed the prospects from the 2019 draft are relatively low. Is there a way to fix that for next update? Jack Hughes should be better, I've noticed in the recent updates that the prospects from the 2019 draft don't develop anymore or don't have a high impact.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Another thing that I wish was on the changelist for 1.5 is retirements.

Player announces they're going to retire at the end of the year.
Player sits on your team until late August, giving you no cap room to sign free agents,

Once they announce that, if they're plans haven't changed by July 1st, they should auto retire.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Thanks, either Archi or myself will let Riz know about it.
Hey, any word if riz or @archibalduk or anyone found what's the issue here? I traded the player to an AI team and soon after the suspension was gone. Since then I've played couple of seasons with no problems but now the issue is back with another player...

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Riz mentioned on his twitter (back in 2017. or 2018.) that he worked on improving 2d engine. I didn't see this mentioned in 1.5 changelist. Is list of changes not complete or this 2d improvements are postponed for 1.6 update ?

I'm sure there are updates to that engine but the change list posted is the same one I have.

Reactions: pukovnik

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Hey, any word if riz or @archibalduk or anyone found what's the issue here? I traded the player to an AI team and soon after the suspension was gone. Since then I've played couple of seasons with no problems but now the issue is back with another player...

Haven't heard anything yet, waiting for Riz to get on his next EHM session, believe he is on an FM sprint right now.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Another thing that I wish was on the changelist for 1.5 is retirements.

Player announces they're going to retire at the end of the year.
Player sits on your team until late August, giving you no cap room to sign free agents,

Once they announce that, if they're plans haven't changed by July 1st, they should auto retire.

I will mention this to him, good suggestion.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
@xECK29x I've noticed the prospects from the 2019 draft are relatively low. Is there a way to fix that for next update? Jack Hughes should be better, I've noticed in the recent updates that the prospects from the 2019 draft don't develop anymore or don't have a high impact.

Of course, everything is going to be updated but Hughes did have a rough go at things in year one, though I'm happy to take specific feedback.

Reactions: francis246
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Has Riz mentioned anything on historical stat tracking? I asked him about it maybe 2 years or so ago and he mentioned it was a possibility to be added one day.

The biggest flaw with this game, IMO, for long-term simmers like myself, is that once players retire, they’re pretty much gone from the game. FHM does this really well. It saves almost everything in the historical archives of your game world.

If I’m in 2049 and I want to look at the Edmonton Oilers player stats from 2030, I should be able to find that information. I should be able to click on players after they are long retired and see their year by year statistics.

Hopefully one day.

edit: Found his response from 2017

“A historical archive of player stats is certainly doable but it would be a big task to implement it. And it would have to be optional and league-based only, so you could tick it on for the wanted league(s) as storing this much information will bloat the saved games quite quickly. And it would likely need to be limited to just the core player stats (the same that can be entered historically in the DB) instead of storing all the detailed stats (like hits, takeaways, faceoffs, fights etc.) that we currently track for each season for each player in the game.

But yeah, an interesting idea and I will log it for my wishlist for the future.”

this was easier to achieve in EHM07. When players retired and they became staff members, you would have their history there. With EHM1, some players will retire, become staff, and their whole history and achievements will be gone.

I don’t necessarily care about season stats, but their achievements like trophy winnings and player of the week I like in there.

ECK mentioned this too a while back (hopefully I’m getting this right) that keeping track of current historical entries is a tough task. The game will ‘fake’ out the entry for some reason, which is why you will see ‘Alexandr Ovenkov’ when Ovechkin retires. But once the game gets into the far enough future, the newgen pool and their name will be correct when they retire.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

He went back and added the missed changes to the post:

UPDATE: The 2d engine changelist was missing from the initial post, so here it is added:
In-Game Engine v85
=========================
- Scoring level adjustments in general
- Adjustments to better bring out the technical abilities of the very high end players
- Adjustments to the number of shots taken
In-Game Engine v84
=========================
- Adjustments to energy and condition levels during game based on tactical settings
- Adjustments to penalty calling AI
- Scoring level adjustments

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

I'm honestly fine with Riz never implementing an editor in EHM because I think the EHM editors already available are good enough.

I don't think it will ever be the full editor, I mean more of a screen like FHM to allow you to swap teams or expand leagues before playing. That is pure speculation on my part, also what I'd like to see. I do NOT want to do my editing in-game.

Reactions: Darkauron

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I haven’t played EHM in quite some time and was thinking of jumping back in.

What is the main difference between the TBL roster set and the Premier Pivot database? I see both listed as the most popular addons in the steam workplace.

Also, can someone give me a refresher on the newgen system? From what I understand, prospects aren’t generated from scratch using a creation system such as in FHM, but it’s not the usual old EHM 07 regen system either. So if I sim 30-40 years into the future, will every good/star player in the game world at that time technically be regenerated from a current player? Or does the game create prospects randomly some how as well? Is there more randomness in the newgens/regens development now? Or will the Ovechkin newgen/regen be a guaranteed star every time? Can a newgen based on a crappy real life player turn into a star unexpectedly? Or will they be capped as being the same quality player?

Thanks!

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England

I'm honestly fine with Riz never implementing an editor in EHM because I think the EHM editors already available are good enough.

Given the limited time on developing EHM, I entirely agree. That said, there are benefits to having an editor built into the game - e.g. it will remain fully up to date as and when database structures change with patches and there's always the risk I suddenly disappear/can no longer work on my own editor (not that I have any plans to disappear!!).

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
I haven’t played EHM in quite some time and was thinking of jumping back in.

What is the main difference between the TBL roster set and the Premier Pivot database? I see both listed as the most popular addons in the steam workplace.

They're essentially the same save that the trades/roster movements in the TBL Rosters are frozen as at NHL opening night whereas the Pivot Rosters are kept continually up to date. It's really down to your preference as to whether you want to start a game on the basis of opening night rosters or current rosters.

Also, can someone give me a refresher on the newgen system? From what I understand, prospects aren’t generated from scratch using a creation system such as in FHM, but it’s not the usual old EHM 07 regen system either. So if I sim 30-40 years into the future, will every good/star player in the game world at that time technically be regenerated from a current player? Or does the game create prospects randomly some how as well? Is there more randomness in the newgens/regens development now? Or will the Ovechkin newgen/regen be a guaranteed star every time? Can a newgen based on a crappy real life player turn into a star unexpectedly? Or will they be capped as being the same quality player?

Thanks!

The EHM 1 system is a hybrid between the regen and newgen systems. I don't remember many of the details but there are plenty of people here who I'm sure can answer you in more detail. The idea behind the system is to avoid the carbon copies of players that were in EHM 2007 under the regen system by introducing a level of randomness.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Is there a known way to fix the "goalie attempting to take the place of skater" glitch?

Every so often when a player is penalized, the goalie will attempt to take to the ice. The game soft freezes and you cant advance the game, at least to my knowledge.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Is there a known way to fix the "goalie attempting to take the place of skater" glitch?

Every so often when a player is penalized, the goalie will attempt to take to the ice. The game soft freezes and you cant advance the game, at least to my knowledge.

If you can get us screen shots or something of this happening, even a save after the game we can try to have it debugged by Riz.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Anyone else still got this bad boy lying around? Found this when cleaning out the drawers around the computer.

6B195C37-F180-44C0-96BB-0D7E0FE58CEC.jpeg
CA4B0FAA-8067-4A4C-A652-DEA1CBC1B7AC.jpeg

Reactions: DaBossN and xECK29x

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
If you can get us screen shots or something of this happening, even a save after the game we can try to have it debugged by Riz.

Here is a screenshot. I cant upload a save after the game since as I said, the game "hard locks" I cant advance during the game, I cant exit said game without killing the EHM application. I believe this is one of the first 5 games of the new (2021) season, and my last save was July 1st.

Wait... I just turned my monitor back on and after leaving it over night, the game unlocked itself (we forfeited, which is actually fine cause I'm rebuilding lol)

Attachments

• 20200522_100112.jpg
    20200522_100112.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200522_100121.jpg
    20200522_100121.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200522_100127.jpg
    20200522_100127.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: xECK29x

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Here is a screenshot. I cant upload a save after the game since as I said, the game "hard locks" I cant advance during the game, I cant exit said game without killing the EHM application. I believe this is one of the first 5 games of the new (2021) season, and my last save was July 1st.

Wait... I just turned my monitor back on and after leaving it over night, the game unlocked itself (we forfeited, which is actually fine cause I'm rebuilding lol)

So I guess I can provide a saved game, sorry if this has been answered before, where could I do this?

Reactions: xECK29x

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
Anyone else still got this bad boy lying around? Found this when cleaning out the drawers around the computer.

View attachment 347063 View attachment 347064

I still have mine along with CD-ROMs of EHM 2005 and EHM 2007 (the 2007 one being relatively rare IIRC). IMO it was far more fun pre-ordering the CD copies and them arriving in the mail rather than just downloading them via digital download. I remember EHM 2004 and 2005 came in the mail a couple of days before release which was great!

Fun fact: Did you know that the photo of the suited coach on the front cover is Riz?

member 96824

Hey everyone I need your help with something. I have put together a short survey regarding some design ideas we have been testing with internally. These answers will help guide our direction for the 2020-21 DB. If you could please take the 5 seconds it will take to fill this out I would greatly appreciate it!

Direction of the Pivot and TBL EHM databases for the 2020-21 season

I’m a little curious to why these options are even on the table, are people asking for them?(Seattle and covid cup)

Just one guy but I’m kind of shocked people would be asking for a 2020-2021 roster pack that isn’t representative of the 2020-2021 rosters..or play a playoff that isn’t representative of the 2020-2021 playoffs (assuming the 24 team playoff doesn’t happen again next year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad