Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I've been trying to start a new game using the "[2018-19] xECK29x's Premier Pivot Rosters (v3.5)" database, but it keeps crashing at "Initializing Game Data".

Any idea what the issue is?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I've been trying to start a new game using the "[2018-19] xECK29x's Premier Pivot Rosters (v3.5)" database, but it keeps crashing at "Initializing Game Data".

Any idea what the issue is?

Usually this is caused due to the amount of leagues selected. Can you provide me which are selecting as View Only or Enhanced? You do not need to select them all for them to be included.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Ugh the CPU GMs are killing me, the Jets just let Patrik Laine walk...probably because of the salary bug issue so I'm going to try and do a hot-fix today, you may want to hold off on downloading till a bit later today, will notify when fixed. Thanks.

Update: Fixed as of 13:35 CST. Main guys affected were Laine, Point, Fiala, Joakim Ryan and Sissons. Their cap hit will not quite be the actual cap hit IRL but close enough so that they don't get inflated salaries or affect their teams' cap or ability to re-sign them. Same download links as above, all varieties fixed.

Hey BK, in the latest link you provided, the link for the Quebec-Seattle 32NHL database is the same as the regular Seattle 32NHL database. I'd like to start a new file today with the Quebec one, is there a link available?

Thanks for your usual awesome work by the way, you are keeping this game alive!

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

SWEDEN
: SHL structure updated for 2018-19 season. HockeyAllsvenskan structure/teams updated for 2018-19 season. Hockeyettan (third tier) teams updated for 2018-19 season...not playable though. There is promotion/relegation between SHL and Allsvenskan and betweeen Allsvenskan and Hockeyettan. ALL TEAM NAMES, COLORS & LOGOS (with logopack addition below) updated for all the leagues above for 2018-19.

- FINLAND: Liiga structure updated for 2018-19 season. Mestis teams updated for 2018-19 season. Suomi-sarja (third tier) teams updated for 2018-19 season...not playable though. There is promotion/relegation between Mestis and Suomi-Sarja. ALL TEAM NAMES, COLORS & LOGOS (with logopack addition below) updated for all the leagues above for 2018-19.

Now will all of these improvements also be set with the TBL rosters? Or will this be just set with the NHL 32/36 database?

I'm just wondering because that Allsvenskan bug stopped me from playing a save a year ago.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Now will all of these improvements also be set with the TBL rosters? Or will this be just set with the NHL 32/36 database?

I'm just wondering because that Allsvenskan bug stopped me from playing a save a year ago.

We are all sharing our fixes with each other, so I would expect a lot of the great work BK has done will cascade down into TBL (I know I use TBL as a base still).

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
What was the bug?

its more or less this bug that I see, it's something with the Swedish HockeyAllsvenskan. This personally isn't my save, but I've seen people ask about it before.

I've seen it on here and on the TBL forums but I don't know what it stems from.

We are all sharing our fixes with each other, so I would expect a lot of the great work BK has done will cascade down into TBL (I know I use TBL as a base still).

Nice! sounds exciting. The more leagues and teams programmed into the DB the better! I know I enjoy seeing a player from the Swedish fourth-tier develop into a star and have a great career from such a tiny club.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Well I haven't played Allsvenskan but I did sim multiple seasons with it on full detail and no crashes...plus promotion/demotion seemed to work fine. Probably some rules and stuff I have wrong or old but I would suspect by the time the TBL rosters come out later this year, they'd probably have it fixed as well. I'm the opposite from you, I don't care at all about Swedish 4th division but that's what TBL rosters are for :)

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
its more or less this bug that I see, it's something with the Swedish HockeyAllsvenskan. This personally isn't my save, but I've seen people ask about it before.

I've seen it on here and on the TBL forums but I don't know what it stems from.

Yup that's the one, it requires hard coded schedule dates for HockeyAllsvenskan and possibly others. Which would suck because it would remove the use scheduling templates, which are used to dynamically create new schedules each year.

Basically because of leap years and what not it throws schedule dates out of wack when it goes into the next stage of progression for that league. A stage that is required to end never does before the next one begins.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Yup that's the one, it requires hard coded schedule dates for HockeyAllsvenskan and possibly others. Which would suck because it would remove the use scheduling templates, which are used to dynamically create new schedules each year.

Basically because of leap years and what not it throws schedule dates out of wack when it goes into the next stage of progression for that league. A stage that is required to end never does before the next one begins.

Would that be something that Riz would look into? Or is it just bad luck?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Would that be something that Riz would look into? Or is it just bad luck?

Just bad luck. The game is functioning properly, the databases we create and download have nothing to do with the base code. However, what Riz could improve is more graceful error handling within the game. Maybe there are improvements to the game that could work around issues like that.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England

Just bad luck. The game is functioning properly, the databases we create and download have nothing to do with the base code. However, what Riz could improve is more graceful error handling within the game. Maybe there are improvements to the game that could work around issues like that.

No this is not quite correct. It's not bad luck; you'll always get hit with this issue in the same year (i.e. 2026 IIRC) regardless of start date. The issue relates to the schedule dates used for the Allsvenskan regular season and the HockeyEttan playoffs (note that this is distinct from schedule templates which are not used/relevant to this issue). In order to allow for the promotion/relegation playouts between the two leagues, the HockeyEttan playoffs must be complete before the Allsvenskan regular season finishes. All of this is set up in the database. Each season the game will adjust the dates so that they fall on the correct days (e.g. so that games scheduled for a Saturday always take place on a Saturday). Everything works fine until 2026 when the dates are shifted to inappropriate dates which results in the Allsvenskan running early in comparison to the HockeyEttan playoffs. The game crashes because it is unable to draw/find teams from the HockeyEttan for the playouts.

The solution is simply to tweak the dates entered into the database. However, EHM can be a bit unpredictable with how it adjusts the dates each year and this makes it hard to test when you have to sim all the way to 2026 (which takes hours even with a minimal DB and sim settings). I think the way in which the game draws teams for next stages could be a little more relaxed in order to get around issues like this (really, it shouldn't matter if the HockeyEttan playoffs are complete before the end of the Allsvenskan regular season; rather, it should only matter once the relevant post-season stage of the Allsvenskan proceeding the playouts has completed). I can't remember if I have mentioned this to Riz but I plan to drop him an email about some odds and ends soon anyway.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
No this is not quite correct. It's not bad luck; you'll always get hit with this issue in the same year (i.e. 2026 IIRC) regardless of start date. The issue relates to the schedule dates used for the Allsvenskan regular season and the HockeyEttan playoffs (note that this is distinct from schedule templates which are not used/relevant to this issue). In order to allow for the promotion/relegation playouts between the two leagues, the HockeyEttan playoffs must be complete before the Allsvenskan regular season finishes. All of this is set up in the database. Each season the game will adjust the dates so that they fall on the correct days (e.g. so that games scheduled for a Saturday always take place on a Saturday). Everything works fine until 2026 when the dates are shifted to inappropriate dates which results in the Allsvenskan running early in comparison to the HockeyEttan playoffs. The game crashes because it is unable to draw/find teams from the HockeyEttan for the playouts.

The solution is simply to tweak the dates entered into the database. However, EHM can be a bit unpredictable with how it adjusts the dates each year and this makes it hard to test when you have to sim all the way to 2026 (which takes hours even with a minimal DB and sim settings). I think the way in which the game draws teams for next stages could be a little more relaxed in order to get around issues like this (really, it shouldn't matter if the HockeyEttan playoffs are complete before the end of the Allsvenskan regular season; rather, it should only matter once the relevant post-season stage of the Allsvenskan proceeding the playouts has completed). I can't remember if I have mentioned this to Riz but I plan to drop him an email about some odds and ends soon anyway.

Ahh ok thanks Archi!

Reactions: MasterMatt25
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
No this is not quite correct. It's not bad luck; you'll always get hit with this issue in the same year (i.e. 2026 IIRC) regardless of start date. The issue relates to the schedule dates used for the Allsvenskan regular season and the HockeyEttan playoffs (note that this is distinct from schedule templates which are not used/relevant to this issue). In order to allow for the promotion/relegation playouts between the two leagues, the HockeyEttan playoffs must be complete before the Allsvenskan regular season finishes. All of this is set up in the database. Each season the game will adjust the dates so that they fall on the correct days (e.g. so that games scheduled for a Saturday always take place on a Saturday). Everything works fine until 2026 when the dates are shifted to inappropriate dates which results in the Allsvenskan running early in comparison to the HockeyEttan playoffs.

Thanks for the heads up Arch. So if this error comes up during my gameplay, do I just try to carry on, or does the game automatically crash and the save is done?

I think I actually had this issue happen around 2026/2027. The game wouldn’t progress through a certain date and after not playing the save for about a month or so, the game has been normal ever since.

Thanks again for explaining everything Arch and ECK.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I'm afraid the saved game is probably done. However one user did apparently make a fix you can apply to the saved game using the Editor if/when you reach that season: Error: failed to setup next stage: 0 (Allsvenskan) - EHM The Blue Line

The default save that I mentioned is currently now in 2032. It hasn’t had any crashes or bugs since it was doing it a long time ago. (I just remember it kept crashing during those certain years, it could’ve been this issue).

I’ll head on over to TBL if the issue comes up in the new season database that will come up for this new season.

billbillbill

Jun 8, 2006
I think it's going to be very dependent on how you choose to do your sim and what leagues you select. There are still some issues with mine that need to be worked out.

What configuration would you recommend for your rosters at this point?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Depends on how you are playing. My rule of thumb is this, I want to only enable leagues with Enhanced details for those I either have an affiliate in or I scout heavily. But it also depends on how you play the game, for instance if you are only focused on playing as a Canadian Junior team you only really want Canadian Major Juniors and maybe some other leagues to pull talent from like the USHL, most of the leagues there would be filler leagues that will auto-generate players/staff.

What helps speed the sim up is lowering the detail level for leagues or tournaments you won't really care about/scout.

But for a typical NHL play-through I use the following:

Affiliate leagues:
AHL: Enhanced
ECHL: Enhanced

Scouting Sources:
Canadian Major Juniors: Enhanced
USHL: Enhanced
NCAA: View Only
KHL & Russian Minor League: View Only
NLA & U20: View Only
SHL/J20: View Only
Liiga/Jr A: View Only
Czech/DHL: View Only

Just because a league isn't selected during setup does NOT mean it's not included in the sim.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The way I run the xECK29x rosters, playing at the NHL level, is NHL on Enhanced, with AHL and ECHL on View-Only. The only other leagues I make a point to add are the Canadian Memorial Cup leagues and the US Frozen Four leagues (also on View-Only) because I like seeing my junior prospects develop and win monthly awards and so forth. Everything else I leave unchecked (because otherwise the game crashes) and I rely on the "Retain All Teams" to populate the SHL, KHL, Liiga, DEL, etc. with real players.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but this keeps the game somewhat lean and fast and still relatively realistic.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
The way I run the xECK29x rosters, playing at the NHL level, is NHL on Enhanced, with AHL and ECHL on View-Only. The only other leagues I make a point to add are the Canadian Memorial Cup leagues and the US Frozen Four leagues (also on View-Only) because I like seeing my junior prospects develop and win monthly awards and so forth. Everything else I leave unchecked (because otherwise the game crashes) and I rely on the "Retain All Teams" to populate the SHL, KHL, Liiga, DEL, etc. with real players.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but this keeps the game somewhat lean and fast and still relatively realistic.

Would love to know what crashes you experience if you can throw me a PM or hit me up on Steam. Happy to troubleshoot.

Next release squashes a few bugs, doing some long-term testing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad