Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pushing update now:

- Added 2014-2017 OHL, WHL and QMJHL draft results
- Fixed duplicate players/staff in OHL, WHL and QMJHL
- Added transactions and made various fixes

I have been having a bit of trouble getting the update to work at the moment I believe. Not sure though, I'll tinker. But anyways my point is that on the original rosters posted on July 1 you had 2 "versions" of LW CJ Suess (WPG Jets prospect) in the game. Not sure if it was fixed. Now it wasn't two "CJ Suess" players, it was CJ Suess and CJ Franklin. When the Jets drafted him his name was CJ Franklin, but he had it changed to CJ Suess a year or two after being drafted. So it is the same player.

Reactions: xECK29x

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I have been having a bit of trouble getting the update to work at the moment I believe. Not sure though, I'll tinker. But anyways my point is that on the original rosters posted on July 1 you had 2 "versions" of LW CJ Suess (WPG Jets prospect) in the game. Not sure if it was fixed. Now it wasn't two "CJ Suess" players, it was CJ Suess and CJ Franklin. When the Jets drafted him his name was CJ Franklin, but he had it changed to CJ Suess a year or two after being drafted. So it is the same player.

Will fix

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm using the editor (0.2.9), does anyone have any idea or tips on how to make the international scene more competitive? I kind of want to elevate some nations and increase their talent levels, with the intention on building up nations within the game and hopefully get some their talent into the top leagues.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I have made some adjustments, I haven't touched the 2019+ draft classes too much. I tend to focus on really breaking these down later in the year.

- Hughes is a 150/-10, not sure what else I can really do there. He is very good out of the gate.
- Kakko was untouched, greatly improved him, same with Byram and Lefreniere.
- I knocked Price down a bit but he is still a clear cut #1 goalie.
- Kotkaniemi is a 124/-9
- Boqvist is a 116/-15 (boom or bust)
- I touched up Zadina
- Turcotte was using BK's version, I nerfed him a bit
- Hayton may very well be meh, he is a -8, I don't get Arizona's fascination with that pick, I don't see a top-6 guy, but he has the potential to be one. He was a reach, his stats reflect that.
- Demko is a 110/-9 I bumped up his base stats, should be better now.
- Byfield is there, weird. Touched him up, 130-/9
Isn't 180 considered franchise / generational tho?

KWPower

Mar 1, 2018
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Isn't 180 considered franchise / generational tho?
If your concern is that the difference between 150 and 180 isn't a lot; it really is. And a player with good offensive/defensive roles will grow into a superstar. In the NHL 32, I had Erik Brannstrom from LV turn into a consistent norris winner with just 16/16 in roles at I believe 160 PA. It's sort of over rated.

Reactions: BKarchitect

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
If your concern is that the difference between 150 and 180 isn't a lot; it really is. And a player with good offensive/defensive roles will grow into a superstar. In the NHL 32, I had Erik Brannstrom from LV turn into a consistent norris winner with just 16/16 in roles at I believe 160 PA. It's sort of over rated.

Right, but I'm not sure what you are asking of me, do you want him at 180 out of the gate? The way the game sims I really have no control over, I just try to frame everyone into a scale. There are still a lot of warts in this game, it's extremely difficult to make it align to real-life.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm using the editor (0.2.9), does anyone have any idea or tips on how to make the international scene more competitive? I kind of want to elevate some nations and increase their talent levels, with the intention on building up nations within the game and hopefully get some their talent into the top leagues.

Increase their reputations and try adding club teams at various junior levels with high levels of training and decent reputation...I find the game will tend to try and "fill" clubs over time with youth players. I added a generic Team Japan U20 and Team Japan U18 and the game over time did start to populate those teams with fake players of Japanese nationality. No guarantees it will create anybody worthwhile but worth a shot.

Also, user @S E P H was working on a more internationally diverse database at one point so he might have some tips...

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

The interesting thing is that I've even had Lafreniere flunk out as a 40 point depth forward even though he has a massive built-in CA/PA for his age AND great mental attributes. So while I often think the mental attributes are even more important that than pure ability at times, even sometimes when you have both, you still are not guaranteed of enormous success. Now with Alexis, this was like 1 sim out of 20 that it happened, like 15 of those times he became a HoF superstar but frankly, it doesn't bother me that much because it adds a bit of luck involved which is perfectly realistic.

To me CA and Team Reputation is most important for the CPU to determine the players position on a depth chart - because frankly, the way the sim engine works for CPU controlled teams, if you can't get on a first line or top pair at some point - you are going to be hard pressed to rack up points. And while a human GM may be intuitive enough to know that a young player with a CA of 130 and PA of 160 is worth playing on a top line because of that potential - the same player under control of a CPU GM may very well be stuck on the 4th line or in the minors for a long time if there are a bunch of older CA 135 / PA 135 type players ahead of him in the depth chart...and then he could start to see his CA not go up and his reputation start to dwindle and soon enough, the CPU has turned that guy into a bust. Or, I often see former top prospects with big PA not make it big until they are in their late 20's, when the depth ahead of them has naturally aged on and they finally have more of a shot.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I also cant stress enough that if you really want an accurate sim, it sometimes pays to take control of the CPU teams to prevent them from doing stupid things.

I take control of every CPU (NHL) team at the end of the season and make sure they have extended, at minimum, qualifying offers to all their good RFAs and will waive and buyout guys that absolutely stink...this prevents the UFA pool from being inflated with good young NHL players who the CPU GMs sometimes get themselves into a bind with trying to re-sign.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I also cant stress enough that if you really want an accurate sim, it sometimes pays to take control of the CPU teams to prevent them from doing stupid things.

I take control of every CPU (NHL) team at the end of the season and make sure they have extended, at minimum, qualifying offers to all their good RFAs and will waive and buyout guys that absolutely stink...this prevents the UFA pool from being inflated with good young NHL players who the CPU GMs sometimes get themselves into a bind with trying to re-sign.

I do that sometimes but only with a few teams. Also taking control of a ton of teams all the time can f*** up who has what GMs so it can kinda suck

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I do that sometimes but only with a few teams. Also taking control of a ton of teams all the time can **** up who has what GMs so it can kinda suck

True but I find GM's have little influence in the game. The only time it is important for me is when there is a particular situation. Like in NHL32/36, I have Erik Karlsson programmed to dislike Dorion so he doesn't want to re-sign in Ottawa. But outside cases like that...you'd be hard-pressed to convince me the GM role matters much.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
True but I find GM's have little influence in the game. The only time it is important for me is when there is a particular situation. Like in NHL32/36, I have Erik Karlsson programmed to dislike Dorion so he doesn't want to re-sign in Ottawa. But outside cases like that...you'd be hard-pressed to convince me the GM role matters much.

Compared to other staff, yeah you are probably right. Good scouts and coaches are a lot better imo

But yeah it really does help sometimes to take control. What still pisses me off how so many teams will not trade away the rights of an rfa who goes overseas and never wants to sign with their team again. Didn't realize one game that Matthews went to the KHL and it took him so long to come back.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Another way to make it realistic is if you bump up the cap to a good amount. I have it at 85 million and everyone gets signed.

Reactions: francis246
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

You might want to edit players potentials and current abilities with the EHMAssistant rather than the editor. I have a hard time making the editor work, and the Assistant makes it easier for me to accomplish things. You could also have a bigger database, which allows talent to accumulate more

Reactions: Darkauron

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You might want to edit players potentials and current abilities with the EHMAssistant rather than the editor. I have a hard time making the editor work, and the Assistant makes it easier for me to accomplish things. You could also have a bigger database, which allows talent to accumulate more

Yeah I LOVE the ehm assistant. I cant wait for something like it to be incorporated ingame

Either have the proper link for that?I seriously get lost trying to find the links for stuff that I'm trying to find there

And would anyone be able to divulge if the NHL32 is programmed with an actual expansion draft?

KWPower

Mar 1, 2018
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Either have the proper link for that?I seriously get lost trying to find the links for stuff that I'm trying to find there

And would anyone be able to divulge if the NHL32 is programmed with an actual expansion draft?
ATM there isn't (correct me if I'm wrong) but older versions had an importable spread sheet for the 2017-18 season with one. I suppose the best time to incorporate a new system like that would be at the start of the regular season when team selections are settled and it's clearer how much a team sees in a player.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There is no ability to put the expansion draft "into the game" but previous releases of NHL32 have included a database to create your own expansion draft import file.
I see, so you just create it with the database. Makes sense would otherwise be hardcode.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I see, so you just create it with the database. Makes sense would otherwise be hardcode.

Yes it's not the easiest thing in the world bit it gets the job done, if you are so inclined. I usually release NHL32 updates with pre-done expansion draft import files (which you can then tweak to your liking) but haven't done it for the last update due to free agency. I'll re-do it for the next update most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad