Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Title Defense Day 1: Devils @ Rangers

Championship*

Unless they tell Kreider to slow down (which will really limit his effectiveness), this is going to be a continuous problem. It is what it is. It is not like he is doing it with malicious intent.

Exactly. If they want to blame someone for Chris barreling into their goalie, they should blame their D for getting beat badly and making the decision to try and trip him up.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I really don't get your reasoning here.

Last year he collides with Craig Anderson. Marc Methot admits after the game he tripped Chris into his own goalie.

Vs. Pittsburgh in the playoffs he breaks through the defense. He's hit from behind by a Pittsburgh defender and driven into Fleury and as it happens the puck never leaves his stick until he shoots it a split second before he collides with Fleury and the puck goes in the net. He's not trying to run over Fleury--he's trying to score a goal. I'm sorry but that is just a hockey play.

And against Montreal with Price--Canadiens fans don't seem to want to talk about Emelin's stick bending around his ankle as he dives desperately to hook down Chris and as Chris is going down he shoots it high and wide. He's not trying to hurt Price--again he's trying to score a goal. Another hockey play.

To really run a goalie there needs to be some malice aforethought. There's no malice. They are hockey plays. Kreider is kind of a freak of nature--a very big and powerful power forward who can skate like a gazelle and that's not a combination that comes along very frequently. Asking him not to play to his strengths would be ridiculous. We don't ask Eric Gelinas or PK Subban not to shoot the puck so hard. WTF! That's our ****ing problem when we play those teams. We don't ask Milan Lucic not to hit so hard or venture into our crease area either.

And by the way Lundqvist has been run over plenty of times by opposing players in various kinds of situations.

I thought I was very clear.

Kreider goes to the net just like he is supposed to, but when a player has multiple incidents with a goalie it will inevitably become an issue. Kreider knows it is an issue unless he is an imbecile. To me, that means he will put himself into positions that will result in goalie collisions. Depending on whether you are a Ranger fan or not will influence your feelings on the matter.

Take the case of Scott Stevens. He perfected hitting the opposition in the head with his shoulder pads. Technically it was not illegal but I thought he was a dirty player because of it. A Devils fan would think I was crazy.

Bottom line is that if an opposing player does what Kreider does and Hank gets hurt, people here will call that player filth. Everything depends upon the jersey you root for.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
People crap on John Moore. One thing. AV wants his Ds to move the puck. A defenseman can play three ways in a sense:
1. Move the puck and never fail.
2. Move the puck and fail at times.
3. Not move the puck and play a risk free game.

What way do the Moore haters think AV want Moore to play? It's down to 2 or 3. This is a half reject making what 900k per year on a 3rd pairing. AV will of course pick 2. Should we trash him because he fails at times? WHY? I mean, I never saw anyone trash Dorsett for not playing like Zucc with the puck, but we should trash Moore for not being able to move the puck like McD? Don't make sense.

People criticize Moore for making boneheaded decisions with the puck on his stick and in defensive coverage. Sure, he's 23 years old (almost 24), but he also has over 200 NHL games under his belt. You expect to see him making better decisions with the puck, and he is to an extent, but he's still making many of the same bone-headed errors he has every year since he joined the league. He still rips too many slap shots straight into the shins of defenders. He still skates the puck supremely well, but lacks the vision to distribute it effectively.

I'll never understand how people insist on putting players above criticism simply because of their age. To be honest, I see a lot more people complaining about others hating on John Moore than I do people actually hating on the kid. He has a great set of tools, but until he starts making more of an impact with them, people will rightfully critique him for not living up to his potential. Just like any other player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Kreider goes to the net just like he is supposed to, but when a player has multiple incidents with a goalie it will inevitably become an issue. Kreider knows it is an issue unless he is an imbecile. To me, that means he will put himself into positions that will result in goalie collisions. Depending on whether you are a Ranger fan or not will influence your feelings on the matter.

Take the case of Scott Stevens. He perfected hitting the opposition in the head with his shoulder pads. Technically it was not illegal but I thought he was a dirty player because of it. A Devils fan would think I was crazy.

Bottom line is that if an opposing player does what Kreider does and Hank gets hurt, people here will call that player filth. Everything depends upon the jersey you root for.

You keep talking about what kreider does, implying that he's deciding to make contact with goalies.

What he does is use his strengths and try to score.

Shoddy d men pull and hack and him while he's gunning it toward their goalie. Sometimes he falls and makes contact.

That is in no way comparable to Stevens himself deciding yo throw shoulders at people's heads when nobody puts him in that position but himself.

If our d man blatantly pulled a skater down right in front of Hank, I know who I'd blame. I'd hope any of our d men are smarter then that since they've seen it happen against ck many times now, and they know it puts goalies at risk.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Any player that stakes out territory in front of the opposition net is going to have goalie collisions now and again. Basically that's part of what it takes to be a power forward. You go to the net and you fight for territory and you get bounced around, crosschecked and hacked at.

I don't see the comparison to Stevens' shoulder hits at all. The puck is crossing the goal line after he's shot it while he's being driven into and collides with Fleury. That's not malicious--that's not trying to hurt anyone. That's trying to score a goal. Stevens tried to hurt people. I expect Kreider to use his speed to blow by a defenseman such as Emelin whenever he can. If he gets his feet swept out from under him by Emelin then--well that's not his fault--that's Emelin's fault. Between the split second he crashes into Price he gets a shot off--that again is trying to score a goal. It's a hard play. It's not a dirty play and I don't want him holding back his skating or not going to the front of the net just because someone might get hurt.

And this thing with Kinkaid that happened the other night. That happens literally hundreds of times a year all over the league. That it was Kreider and a bunch (not all) of nitwit Devils fans want to make a big deal out of it is a big so what? for me. And it's not like Henrik hasn't been run over numerous times in his career when other teams jam or crash the net. That's all good I suppose.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
You keep talking about what kreider does, implying that he's deciding to make contact with goalies.

What he does is use his strengths and try to score.

Shoddy d men pull and hack and him while he's gunning it toward their goalie. Sometimes he falls and makes contact.

That is in no way comparable to Stevens himself deciding yo throw shoulders at people's heads when nobody puts him in that position but himself.

If our d man blatantly pulled a skater down right in front of Hank, I know who I'd blame. I'd hope any of our d men are smarter then that since they've seen it happen against ck many times now, and they know it puts goalies at risk.

Hagelin beats the D as often as Kreider. Why has Hagelin managed to avoid goalies?

Clearly this isn't just about fast skating.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Any player that stakes out territory in front of the opposition net is going to have goalie collisions now and again. Basically that's part of what it takes to be a power forward. You go to the net and you fight for territory and you get bounced around, crosschecked and hacked at.

I don't see the comparison to Stevens' shoulder hits at all. The puck is crossing the goal line after he's shot it while he's being driven into and collides with Fleury. That's not malicious--that's not trying to hurt anyone. That's trying to score a goal. Stevens tried to hurt people. I expect Kreider to use his speed to blow by a defenseman such as Emelin whenever he can. If he gets his feet swept out from under him by Emelin then--well that's not his fault--that's Emelin's fault. Between the split second he crashes into Price he gets a shot off--that again is trying to score a goal. It's a hard play. It's not a dirty play and I don't want him holding back his skating or not going to the front of the net just because someone might get hurt.

And this thing with Kinkaid that happened the other night. That happens literally hundreds of times a year all over the league. That it was Kreider and a bunch (not all) of nitwit Devils fans want to make a big deal out of it is a big so what? for me. And it's not like Henrik hasn't been run over numerous times in his career when other teams jam or crash the net. That's all good I suppose.

Your stance is fair because you accept that if the same happens to Hank you accept it as just part of the game. I don't think many fans will react as objectively as you.

My only point with Stevens was that Devils fans viewed him differently than the rest of us. The same may happen with opinions of Kreider.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Your stance is fair because you accept that if the same happens to Hank you accept it as just part of the game. I don't think many fans will react as objectively as you.

My only point with Stevens was that Devils fans viewed him differently than the rest of us. The same may happen with opinions of Kreider.

Don't even think that's a question. Of course I'd be pissed if say David Clarkson ran Henrik. But if it wasn't his fault, I'll still recognize that. It doesn't mean I won't be furious with the player.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Hagelin beats the D as often as Kreider. Why has Hagelin managed to avoid goalies?

Inertia.

Stopping or altering the motion of an object at 186 lbs traveling at 22 mph is not the same as when the object is 226 lbs.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

You're right. It's also about what players do when they beat D men. Krieder has a very nice wrist shot, thinks like a shooter and almost always goes to the net. Hagelin doesn't have as good a shot, doesn't play the same type of game and rarely goes to the net.

Also, Hagelin doesn't have Kreider's size or strength, so D men can play him differently. Kreider weights roughly 50 pounds more than Hagelin.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland

Just wanna clarify something. From the replay that I saw, Kreider going across the front of the net, not directly into kinkade, he got pushed from the left but he kept going forward and he took out kinkade's legs out from behind instead of stopping. I think that's the reason he was called.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Inertia.

Stopping or altering the motion of an object at 186 lbs traveling at 22 mph is not the same as when the object is 226 lbs.

From a physics standpoint I think that might be a little inaccurate. The person who weighs much more is also far tougher to move.

The difference is that Hagelin doesn't take a straight line to the goalie.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

It's about fast skating for a man his size. Hagelin has a lower center of gravity and far less momentum. Therefore he can keep himself under control with less effort.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's about fast skating for a man his size. Hagelin has a lower center of gravity and far less momentum. Therefore he can keep himself under control with less effort.

If Hagelin has less momentum he is easier to steer off course.

In any case, it will be interesting to see if this becomes even more controversial.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
From a physics standpoint I think that might be a little inaccurate. The person who weighs much more is also far tougher to move.

The difference is that Hagelin doesn't take a straight line to the goalie.

Tougher to move, but not tougher to knock off balance. Because of intertia, a smaller guy like Hagelin will have a better chance of avoiding collision than a big guy like Kreider.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just wanna clarify something. From the replay that I saw, Kreider going across the front of the net, not directly into kinkade, he got pushed from the left but he kept going forward and he took out kinkade's legs out from behind instead of stopping. I think that's the reason he was called.

If Zubrus, Clowe or Jagr are fighting for position in front of the Rangers net--it's very likely they'll be banging or pushed into Lundqvist sometime this season. It's pretty much the same story with Kreider the other night. To me it's not that much of an issue--it wasn't a dangerous play. The forwards that can go to the area in front of the crease to screen the goalie or just because it's a prime scoring area are there to score goals. They'll have to battle but it's not about injuring opponents. I expect Kreider to play to his strengths--size, strength, speed like I expect other players to play to their strengths. If you look like someone at Subban--he antagonizes, he has speed--he has a shot--he uses them all to his best advantage--that's what makes him a really, really good player. A guy like Lucic--his size, strength, hitting, fighting, putting up points, his ability to create havoc around the opposition's goal--I don't like it when he plays the Rangers but I admire the player--and it's a problem for us to stop him but it is what it is.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If Hagelin has less momentum he is easier to steer off course.

In any case, it will be interesting to see if this becomes even more controversial.

The problem with Kreider is that he's knocked off balance. This isn't just a study of the dynamics of motion. Muscles come into play too. The point is that the more momentum he has as an object in motion with a high center of gravity, the more muscle he needs to keep himself going where he wants to when an external force hits him. He has to have that ridiculous leg strength we know about just to do that, and it won't always be perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00