Pre-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Semi-Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
The only player that really scares me is Nash. Against the Bruins he can just turn away on the rush at will and keep the puck on his stick and snipe it home. The Bruins did not have an answer for that at all in the games they played earlier in the season.

Thankfully Gaborik is gone though. He was another Bruins killer.

This right here, the guy was a total Bruins killer, hopefully never to be seen again in the Western Conference.

The I looked up his career stats vs Boston.

21 games, 9 goals, 3 assists.

So really not that bad.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2416/splits;_ylt=AnfC6IPIKIXabNkx2W3Jm6fCfgM6?year=career

Rick Nash 12 games, 2 goals, 5 assists.

So not a real Bruins killer either.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
It's interesting, the Leafs definitely had a noticable amount of fans in Boston. Now the question, given that the Leafs play much farther away, will the Rangers match, exceed, bring a good number?
Will Boston have any presence in New York?
Or was the Leaf turnout due to the insanity of that fanbase?

I watched parts of the Knicks Celtics series, and didn't seem there were many Celtic fans in New York, seemed the Knicks had a good amount in Boston but still not much.
Wondering if that is bell weather for this series.

Unfortunately, a number of NY snot-nosed, arrogant pukes attend college in Boston and show up at games in force. Hopefully, many will have returned home for the summer.

House Targaryen

May 9, 2013
Boston / San Jose
LOl when I heard that stat I was like really that good against us. Thats really scary

same here. i knew he played us tough, i didn't know it was THAT tough. for whatever reason, i always thought we had better luck versus them. guess not.

must be all the afternoon games, which we struggle with :laugh:

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
Discipline will be the key word for this series. The Rangers are good at drawing penalties. They don't hesitate to throw the head back when there's little to no contact, and they fall pretty quick. Bs are going to have to minimize getting penalties and putting the NYR on the PP.

Why would the Bruins have to limit the Rangers PP....it sucks. :shakehead

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
felger is a tool, but those stats do sound right.

derek stepan is one of the guys i'm watching, not richards/nash.

NMF

May 24, 2012
This right here, the guy was a total Bruins killer, hopefully never to be seen again in the Western Conference.

The I looked up his career stats vs Boston.

21 games, 9 goals, 3 assists.

So really not that bad.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2416/splits;_ylt=AnfC6IPIKIXabNkx2W3Jm6fCfgM6?year=career

Rick Nash 12 games, 2 goals, 5 assists.

So not a real Bruins killer either.

This, this and this. Just came in here to post this exact same thing. The Rags losing Gaborik severely hurts them against us in my opinion.He may not have the best stat total, but he always was a threat in games against us. Them not having him will severely hurt the Rangers in this series. I get why they got rid of him, because he definitely showed up when he wanted to, but it seemed like always showed up against the Bruins. The other thing that I think may get lost in this whole conversation is that the Rangers have four player from the anemic Columbus Blue Jackets. Four.Brassard,Dorsett, Moore, and Nash. Thats four guys who have come from a loosing culture and three of them played 15 games for the Rags this season. It will take longer for those three to grasp a winning culture and make a significant impact.Sure Brassard may have compiled nine points against the Caps, but lets face it the Capitals are not as committed to defense as the Bruins are. They have improved a lot, but nowheres close to the tight system that the Bruins play. The Rangers averaged 29.3 shots per game against the Capitals. Unfortunately for the Caps, they have Holtby in net. A guy that although his numbers were fairly decent, is nowhere near the caliber of a tender that Rask is. Our D corps might be a bit depleted, but in this series Claude's style will help, due to the commitment of the forwards to play defense. Last series I was all about opening up more against the leafs and taking advantage of their run and gun style and so-so defense. Now the game plan for this series should be to play good defensive hockey and make sure to get pucks on net against King Hank, with a ton of traffic out front of him

The Rangers are a mirror image of us and play a strong defensive game. They are very committed to the d-zone maybe a little more than we are. However, on the front end we have a huge advantage. Outside of Clowe an Richards. And Clowe is doubtful for part of the series at the very least. I like the games of Stepan and Callahan, but I wouldn't take either of them over their counterparts on our team Lucic and Krejci. There defense will have the upper hand this series, with the injuries that have accumulated for us. I probably would still take them over our squad when full healthy, but it would be very close. King Hank is better than Rask, but I think the forwards that we have will put a lot more pressure on him than their forwards will put on Rask. Im taking the Bruins in 6 and it will be because of our superiority up front. Tuukka will hold his own. I won't be surprised if two games go deep in to OT because of the style of play. Expect a sandpaper series with a bunch of grit down low and dirty goals. Should be a good one.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Which ones did you get wrong? I thought they were all easy but then I knew all the Bruins specific ones.

I am a Rangers fan. Don't forget ;)

I am actually quite proud I only got 2 wrong. One of them was regarding opponents in the 2010 Cup run. The other, not sure.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Lundqvist Career Playoff record:

29 Wins 33 Losses .921 Save % 2.24 GAA....

He has lost more games than he won. He is a very good goalie but he can't stop what he does not see. The key will be to park someone in front of the net and screen him, get him off his game... He is not invincible. The team that wins the battles in front of the net wins this series. The Caps play on the perimeter and rely on Ovechkin, when the B's are playing at their best they are banging in front of the net and get goals from a few players . The last 3 goals scored against the Leafs are an example of what I am talking about, this is what they must do.

More reasons not to fear him...

2006/2007 6th seed won first round 4-0 v Atlanta lost in 6 to Buffalo round 2

2007/2008 5th seed won first round 4-1 v NJ Devils lost in 5 games to Pittsburgh round 2

2008/2009 7th seed lost in seven to the Caps

2010/2011 8th seed lost to the Caps in 5 games

2011/2012 1st seed won 4-3 v Senators, won 4-3 v Caps, lost 4-2 v Devils

Is this a record to fear? This is not Brodeur in his prime...

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The last time the Bruins met NYR in the playoffs

The Adams family had sold the team to TV38 (Storer Broadcasting) in December of 1972.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...mssAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yMwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1782,2070885

The Bruins were still a powerful team even with the defections to the WHA but they missed Cheevers baedly. Eddie Johnston, Ross Brooks and John Adams were the goalies.

Brooks and Adams played well as backups but Harry gambled on Jacques Plante.

Bruins lose series to NYR in 5 games losing all 3 games at the Garden.

Storer would sell the team 2 years later to Jacobs for $10M but Jacobs only paid $2M in cash as the other $8 million was for TV38 to keep TV rights for 20 years.

Mazzie

Jan 19, 2006
Southwest Florida
I was negative four years old at the time, lol. It kind of melts your head that these teams have somehow avoided each other in the playoffs for 4 decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad