Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Sebastian Aho has 58 points in 63 playoff games. That would be the 3rd best all time PPG in New York Rangers history with a minimum of 60 games.

?

And he's no showed in the Carolina/NYR 2022 series which they arguably win with ease if he or Svech show up. He was not good in the Devils series last year with Nico shadowing him, I love Aho but he needs to show up big in the playoffs this year for them to win the Cup. No more of this Martinook or Kotkaniemi, I doubt teams allow the Devils series from last year to happen.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
?

And he's no showed in the Carolina/NYR 2022 series which they arguably win with ease if he or Svech show up. He was not good in the Devils series last year with Nico shadowing him, I love Aho but he needs to show up big in the playoffs this year for them to win the Cup. No more of this Martinook or Kotkaniemi, I doubt teams allow the Devils series from last year to happen.
Yes, but your point of him not showing up big is wrong when he shows up every year and leads Carolina in playoff points. I can somewhat agree with Svechnikov. He was hurt twice in his first two playoff appearances and the most recent one in 2021-22 he was a no show. Aho is in his best form at the moment I would be surprised if he somehow fell off. The line with Guentzel and Jarvis is going to be electrifying. Also, I think Carolina's playoff success really depends on how the 2nd line performs rather than the 1st.

Reactions: cptjeff

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yes, but your point of him not showing up big is wrong when he shows up every year and leads Carolina in playoff points. I can somewhat agree with Svechnikov. He was hurt twice in his first two playoff appearances and the most recent one in 2021-22 he was a no show. Aho is in his best form at the moment I would be surprised if he somehow fell off. The line with Guentzel and Jarvis is going to be electrifying. Also, I think Carolina's playoff success really depends on how the 2nd line performs rather than the 1st.

I'm not trying to be controversial, I think most people would agree he can't go in hiding. Aho is a tremendous player, he'll be the focal point of other teams top pairs. Guentzel will be a god-send for him but the series that they've lost in recent years he has no showed big time. He's a great player but Carolina is going absolutely nowhere without him producing, they'll just lose to NYR again round 2 if the Islanders don't do it to them, they can get away with his defense presence since Jordan Staal is virtually a top 5 C on that side of the puck.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think it’ll be the Hurricanes in 6. I’ve liked how they’ve been coached for a number of years, and I think their depth at each position is superior in this series. But I think the Isles have enough pluck to take some games.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
I'm not trying to be controversial, I think most people would agree he can't go in hiding. Aho is a tremendous player, he'll be the focal point of other teams top pairs. Guentzel will be a god-send for him but the series that they've lost in recent years he has no showed big time. He's a great player but Carolina is going absolutely nowhere without him producing, they'll just lose to NYR again round 2 if the Islanders don't do it to them, they can get away with his defense presence since Jordan Staal is virtually a top 5 C on that side of the puck.
The rangers are in a similar situation. They can absolutely advance if Aho doesn’t produce, they have Jarvis and Guentzel.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The rangers are in a similar situation. They can absolutely advance if Aho doesn’t produce, they have Jarvis and Guentzel.

I've been on the Rangers case too with Zibanejad and have had their fans agree that he needs to show up come the spring. It's nothing to get overly mad about, lol. I think Aho will come out guns blazing this playoffs, he's done historically well against NYI.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Can't escape this f***ing team in the playoffs.

If NYI can match Carolina's pace and aggressiveness in all three zones (Roy has them playing aggressive), they will make this a series (and possibly advance). At the very least, they will make Carolina fight for every inch of that ice. This iteration of NYI is quicker and plays faster, I think that will be an interesting dynamic in this series. This year Barzal is healthy.

Ultimately the Canes will prevail, just too much talent, w/ that said, *if factors come into play (attacking system, limiting penalties, goaltending), NYI could advance.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
This feels like it's going to be a very low event series but I'll watching every second. That Detroit Habs game just blew me away and got me pumped for round. I hope the eastern series will offer the same level as the what the west likely has in store.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Happy for the Islanders fans to be able to watch some playoff hockey but unfortunately a team that lucked into a spot with a -18 G/D is going to get wasted by the highest G/D in the league.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Happy for the Islanders fans to be able to watch some playoff hockey but unfortunately a team that lucked into a spot with a -18 G/D is going to get wasted by the highest G/D in the league.

Pretty much on point.

Considering that Carolina is going to out volume anyone 5v5 (its just what they do) I have a tough time seeing the Isles, with their league worst PK and crappy PP being able to hang with Carolina who is top 2 in both.

It'd be a success for the Isles if they could stretch this to 6.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Carolina

horse.gif

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
A play in round is inevitable as this is the lowest percentage of teams making the playoffs that they’ve had in sometime and would also make the end of the regular season a lot more interesting than it currently is
Would it? Or would it just draw the line in a different spot?

Fans are always complaining that the regular season doesn't mean enough. Adding play-ins would just devalue the regular season even further. Half the teams in the league get in. That's the perfect number, IMO. Every round of the playoffs, half the teams are eliminated. It should be the same in the regular season.

We can argue about how those 16 teams are chosen (current format, top 8 by points in each conference, top 16 by points in the league, whatever), but I don't see the NHL going to a play-in. Whenever it has come up, Bettman has quickly shot it down.

We had a play-in during the 1st covid-shortened season. Was that really better?

They could make it so the top-24 teams get in and Buffalo would probably still find a way to miss :laugh:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I chose Carolina in 7. I think the Islanders will make this a tough series. They have been playing very well lately, and the things they are good at will make it difficult for the Canes.

Carolina always seems to be the team that scores less than the fancy stats say they should, particularly in the playoffs. Guentzel may help to reverse that trend, but the Islanders are good defensively and in goal. I could see them frustrating the Canes. The Islanders also seem to be more opportunistic in their scoring. That combination could spell trouble for the Canes, but I think the Canes are the better team and will ultimately win the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad