Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Having a good goalie in all 82 games helps teams make the playoffs. Maybe he chose that instead of being a starter on a non-playoff team?
Hey like I said good for the Isles. But he could easily be the undisputed starter on some good playoff teams like Edmonton (ok I get why he wouldn't wanna go there), LA or Colorado

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
You know what, I think this round has a ton of interesting storylines.

1) Goaltending - This is a huge topic for both teams. Varlamov has stolen the net from one of the best goalies in the league, but it still remains to be seen if Roy plays Sorokin in game 1. Either way, I say they have the advantage in net. For the Canes, that's their biggest Achilles Heel. For the Canes, whether or not they'll have stability in net is a recurring theme with the likes of Kotchetkov, Raanta and Anderson giving Carolina a revolving door of Vezina calibre play, injuries, and bad outings.

2) Carolina's contracts - Take a look at the capfriendly page, it's absolutely nuts to see how many new guys are fighting for a new contract or fighting for a raise. Of note, there's Teravainen, Necas, Drury, Jarvis, Skjei, Pesce, DeAngelo, Chatfield and of course, Guentzel. Desperation can create diamonds out of some of these guys, but it can also create mistakes. On the other hand, NY has the entire core locked in long term.

3) The metro sucks - We all know the metro's been terrible this year, so Carolina hasn't really needed to play meaningful hockey in months. They had no way of knowing who they'd face, but home ice advantage was never really in doubt. New York's been playing playoff do-or-die hockey since Patty Roy was brought in. Not to mention, they've been severely underscoring compared to their offensive metrics since the ASB, so if the pucks start going in then they'll be a force. Yes the Canes are 8-2-0 in the last ten, but these games have been fictitious for them. NY are 8-1-1, so it's two of the three hottest teams in the league facing off against one another (Dallas is 8-2-0 int their last 10)

Honestly, I think we see an upset here. Guentzel isn't enough to overcome the goaltending concerns and I seriously think the Isles are going in with the confidence and goaltending to pull this off. I also can't forget Bo being GPG in the bubble and think he'll pop off similarly again.

I predict Isles win in 5, but that 2-3 of those games go to OT. Carolina management are left wondering what to do, and if this core has what it takes to show up in the moments that count.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hey like I said good for the Isles. But he could easily be the undisputed starter on some good playoff teams like Edmonton (ok I get why he wouldn't wanna go there), LA or Colorado

I can't speak for Varlamov, but given his injury history maybe he is just saying maybe better to play a lighter schedule and extend his career a couple years, either that or maybe he just likes NY(although I would have to guess NJ probably tried to make an offer in the summer)

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Canes goaltending has been terrific in the 2nd half. I get the skepticism about Andersen based on the past, but Kochetkov really should be getting more love for what he's done. Since the season turned around in Ottawa on 12/12: .923/2.05 over 30 starts. He has the draft pedigree to match. Canes fans/media don't do good enough of a job hyping him up.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The lack of Islanders in 4 votes is startling

Regardless I voted Canes in 6....might change it later to 5

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is a bit of a trap series for the Canes. Everybody expects them to win - and rightfully so.

But it also means pressure is on them. They loaded up at the trade deadline. Losing would be a disaster.

Last year it never felt like the Isles were going to win the series, which is why it's easy to forget that they still won a game and the Canes needed overtime twice.

You just never know. If the Isles get something magical going, whether it be goaltending or just bounces, it could be tight.

But yeah, the Canes are the better team obviously. I hope this is their year.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Canes goaltending has been terrific in the 2nd half. I get the skepticism about Andersen based on the past, but Kochetkov really should be getting more love for what he's done. Since the season turned around in Ottawa on 12/12: .923/2.05 over 30 starts. He has the draft pedigree to match. Canes fans/media don't do good enough of a job hyping him up.
The "doubt" is just people speaking on things they haven't a clue about Freddie has been a .935 sub 2 gaa goaltender for us In past playoffs and if he hadn't had the blood clotting issues he would be the hands down Veniza winner with the way he's played this year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240415_230006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_230006_Chrome.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad