Eastern Conference QF: Columbus Blue Jackets vs Tampa Bay Lightning

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Some of y'all are insane if you really think we could sweep Tampa again. We couldn't sweep Toronto- a highly skilled offensive team in their own right, but lacking in elements that Tampa has- but we're going to sweep Tampa?

Here's the elements of Tampa that didn't worry me about Toronto:
  • Revenge factor (for this reason alone I wanted to play Tampa the least of any of the possibilities)
  • Strong team oriented play (Generalizing here, but Toronto is a bunch of individuals that play like individuals)
  • Experienced offensive depth (Beyond the big offensive guns, they have Johnson, Killorn, Palat, Cirelli, Gourde)
    • Those guys I listed above, 3 of them have 70 games of playoff experience, and Cirelli and Gourde, a couple of the least playoff-experienced Tampa forwards, have the same amount as any of the Leafs forwards outside of Spezza, Clifford, and Tavares.
  • An all around massively better, more experienced defense.
  • A more talented goalie (who admittedly played like shit last year, but still Vasy > Anderson)
That's a lot of stuff that Tampa has that Toronto doesn't have. I'm hoping we can take this one to game 6 or 7, just for the excitement of a long series and a game 7, but I'm thinking we win one game. Play like we did last night all series and we'll win two or hopefully three.

I think the odds are a lot longer this series. I was 50/50 last round, It won't be that easy this time. But from your tenor you make it seem impossible to pull out a series win, and I don't agree with that. We're still playing a game where anything can happen.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Am I crazy to think Foudy is gonna really help the PP?

I think maybe yes. He doesn't move the puck quickly and his shot is not even average.

I know he had a bad series but we should get Bjorkstrand back on there. We need him going.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
They and Boston feasting on their crap division.

They were 3-6-1 in their final 10 games, featuring two losses to Toronto, a SO loss to Detroit (LOL), a win against Montreal, and a win and a loss against Boston. Before that, they had won 11 in a row...none against teams from their own division.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Congrats Blue Jackets. You did Canada a favour beating the Leafs. I wish a could find the post I made last year to you guys saying Foudy was a dandy. He really impressed me junior. Great wheels

Yes Foudy is a special player.

Were you a Cape Breton Oilers fan by chance? I grew up watching that team.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I think the odds are a lot longer this series. I was 50/50 last round, It won't be that easy this time. But from your tenor you make it seem impossible to pull out a series win, and I don't agree with that. We're still playing a game where anything can happen.
No of course not, I believe we can, moreso than some series in the past as well. It's just not the most likely outcome. The main intention of my post was to point out that Tampa is a very different team than Toronto, and that as a fan, if you think you are going to sweep them again, it's probably best to temper expectations. I do believe we could win the series though.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Lets play some hockey!!! Tampa Bay is one hell of a hockey team, I am looking forward to this series. I don't bet, so I don't really care about the odds, but I bet this will be a great series eh?

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
They were 3-6-1 in their final 10 games, featuring two losses to Toronto, a SO loss to Detroit (LOL), a win against Montreal, and a win and a loss against Boston. Before that, they had won 11 in a row...none against teams from their own division.

They were 18-5-1 vs their division. 37 of 48 points or .771 percentage of available points. 25-16-5 vs rest of the league with a .598 percentage rate.

The CBJ were 13-2-5 vs the Atlantic. It’s a crap division. They were lucky Habs knocked out Pens to keep the Metro from owning 6 of 8 Eastern Conference spots.

Boston is lucky they had a bye. I think Canes may curb stomp them

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think maybe yes. He doesn't move the puck quickly and his shot is not even average.

I know he had a bad series but we should get Bjorkstrand back on there. We need him going.

It seems like he could play a small part of Panarin's role that is critically missing on the PP IMO - possessing the puck, skating it away from danger, and buying time.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It seems like he could play a small part of Panarin's role that is critically missing on the PP IMO - possessing the puck, skating it away from danger, and buying time.

I think the Jackets PP is substandard even when it gets set up properly, what it needs is more quick puck movement after it gets set up, and Foudy can't help us there.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think the Jackets PP is substandard even when it gets set up properly, what it needs is more quick puck movement after it gets set up, and Foudy can't help us there.

Well, gotta get set up properly, first, and feels like Foudy helps there since they're not good at that, either. :)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Tampa’s defense without Hedman = Toronto’s defense

Tampa D without Hedman is still probably better, and it's much better than Toronto D without Muzzin. McDonagh is moving much better this postseason than he was a year ago, he is still a top quality defender when he is playing like this.

Reactions: cslebn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad