Series Discussion: Eastern Conference Finals: Caps vs. TBL

Who and how many?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Trotz says he wants to play with discipline tonight. That tells me he wants to play safe and turtle, which means either more penalties because you are getting beat or they score at will 5 on 5. We should play as aggressive as we can. Concentrate and not committing penalties means a crappy game. They need to play a heavy north south game..afraid they won't.

I’m as big of a Trotz critic as there is but come on. They’ve taken dumb penalties and they need to stop taking dumb penalties. It has nothing to do with altering their style of play at 5v5.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Guess you didn't watch Hockey stop 2 or 3 great scoring chances after he hadn't faced any shots in some time. Do you not remember Holtby stopping Johnson on a breakaway and then shortly later stopped Kucherov point blank range.
Your guess is wrong. 2, 3, 4 chances dont mean a jack if your team outshot the opponent badly, had a big advantage in scoring opportunities and still lost. Stand your ground and do your job.

I like this look.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The new lines get a thumbs up from me. I really want to see the special teams play adjusted though, particularly on the PK. They have the force Hedman to be the shooter and not allow Stamkos to keep firing one-timers.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Your guess is wrong. 2, 3, 4 chances dont mean a jack if your team outshot the opponent badly, had a big advantage in scoring opportunities and still lost. Stand your ground and do your job.
NaturalStatTrick had the high danger scoring chances at 11-9 Lightning at 5-on-5. CSA had high percentage chances at 7-4 Lightning. The Caps held the territorial advantage but it's hard to say you've outplayed a team when they broke down so easily defensively compared to how poorly they managed to do the same in the offensive zone. Zone time doesn't equal quality opportunities. We've seen that with this team time after time. The lack of screens and second chances were a real departure from the first two games. Why they went away from what was working is beyond me.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
How many of us thought the Caps would win this series, seriously?

Even up 2-0 I said to myself unless they win game three they aren't winning the series, because even the Caps wouldn't blow a 3-0 lead, but 2-0, the Caps do that all the time.

I can't even be mad at it really, you just know it will happen so you accept it.

I'm ok with this season overall, next season with new coach and more kids in the lineup will be fun.

Reactions: SBraun

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How many of us thought the Caps would win this series, seriously?

Even up 2-0 I said to myself unless they win game three they aren't winning the series, because even the Caps wouldn't blow a 3-0 lead, but 2-0, the Caps do that all the time.

I can't even be mad at it really, you just know it will happen so you accept it.

I'm ok with this season overall, next season with new coach and more kids in the lineup will be fun.

I’m sorry no. Fighting for the Cup is fun. looking forward to another regular season grind isn’t.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I think there’s a slim chance we win game 6 based on their body language and difficulty scoring goals. However, just as I thought it was unlikely Tampa would lose 3 straight at home to us, it would be hard to imagine us losing 3 straight at home. So gonna call it 50-50. That said, if we win game 6 I think we take the series. Just a hunch.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
^^^ Agree, and I don't even watch anymore in the regular season. I'd honestly consider not watching them much next year until they get in the playoffs. Regular season is old hat and the caps have not really shown me that they can win. I used to watch all games every single on every year from Bondra era. Now no thanks, no way to this team that always chokes in the playoffs.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

aquablue

May 4, 2010
I’m sorry no. Fighting for the Cup is fun. looking forward to another regular season grind isn’t.

I was talking about this post btw. Agree, i don't see how you can watch all the games. I used to watch every single one, from 90's era, and I thought this era was the team that could win a cup. But OVI and Backy are fading and getting older and worse as years go on, so the time is ticking away.. now I'll just tune in casually for next years playoffs, not worth the bother really.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I was talking about this post btw. Agree, i don't see how you can watch all the games.

Eh, the regular season is a grind and it is hard, it is watching players and teams emerge or collapse, it is something different every night. The playoffs, and not just cause the Caps stink, is so much about luck of the draw, non-calls, calls, bounces, injuries, etc.

I mean the playoffs can be awesome of course but if Vegas (and Carolina in '06, Caps just a pick any number of years) has taught us anything it should be that winning the Cup is not the best team winning, it's a hot goalie and a lot of luck.

Jets have been better than the Knights for 3 of the 4 games they are down 1-3, Caps have been better than the Bolts for all but a few periods, they are down 2-3. Sadly, it is what it is.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Jets have been better than the Knights for 3 of the 4 games they are down 1-3, Caps have been better than the Bolts for all but a few periods, they are down 2-3. Sadly, it is what it is.
I still don't get this better stuff. Being better as a team also includes goaltending and VGK/TBL have had the better in that regard. They've also been opportunistic. Not that Holtby deserves to be thrown under the bus because the Caps have been way too sloppy/careless since G3 but it's a team effort. Some degree of being more territorial just doesn't matter, particularly when chances generated aren't all that great and score effects are factored in. Winnipeg has done a better job of second effort, second chance type pressure compared to the Caps. Washington has pressured and held a territorial advantage but much of that has to do with how poorly they've started and how it's forced them to play that way. Without starting on time and being more disciplined from the net out, it's hard to truly believe they're the better team. That stuff matters, too. Tampa Bay elevated their game once the series shifted to Washington and the Caps have mostly been fighting it since. Tampa Bay has also been too passive at times but they haven't paid for it.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I still don't get this better stuff. Being better as a team also includes goaltending and VGK/TBL have had the better in that regard. They've also been opportunistic. Not that Holtby deserves to be thrown under the bus because the Caps have been way too sloppy/careless since G3 but it's a team effort. Some degree of being more territorial just doesn't matter, particularly when chances generated aren't all that great and score effects are factored in. Winnipeg has done a better job of second effort, second chance type pressure compared to the Caps. Washington has pressured and held a territorial advantage but much of that has to do with how poorly they've started and how it's forced them to play that way. Without starting on time and being more disciplined from the net out, it's hard to truly believe they're the better team. That stuff matters, too. Tampa Bay elevated their game once the series shifted to Washington and the Caps have mostly been fighting it since. Tampa Bay has also been too passive at times but they haven't paid for it.

I agree with a lot of this especially the goalie stuff and turnovers.

It's just that I watch the games, the Caps (and the Jets) pore it on, wave after wave, shift after shift, possession, pressure, shots, etc., and nothing breaks for them, some is bad luck, bad bounces, like the one that went over Buffs stick that led directly to the winner in game four, some are goal posts, some are great saves. In the regular season this stuff is forgotten immediately, in the playoffs we the fans never forget it because it turns an entire series around.

I'm not mad or bitter, I really just expect it to be honest, especially the goalie's turning into Hasak for a series or a few games, especially against the Caps.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Making the ECF is an accomplishment but it's still a failure to the players and coaches. Losing after going up 2-0 would be another psychological blot.

They must win at least Game 6 or getting by the Pens will be of little help to the choking mentality.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Eh, the regular season is a grind and it is hard, it is watching players and teams emerge or collapse, it is something different every night. The playoffs, and not just cause the Caps stink, is so much about luck of the draw, non-calls, calls, bounces, injuries, etc.
In my view casual fans show up for the playoffs. This is my fav sport so I'm involved in the reg season. Having said that I'll admit that this season has been my first post STH and a long time without some ticket plan. Thus I attended the least number of games this season in over a decade. A few health incidents didn't help. Don't agree that the Caps "stink". Who in their right mind expected them to reach the ECF this season :huh: It's discouraging to get off to a good start then lose 3 straight. But we see "runs" like this all the time in the reg season and think little of it. In the playoffs it's just greatly magnified.

I mean the playoffs can be awesome of course but if Vegas (and Carolina in '06, Caps just a pick any number of years) has taught us anything it should be that winning the Cup is not the best team winning, it's a hot goalie and a lot of luck.

Now this is truth.
I've been saying this for decades regarding the playoffs. Statistically the reg season is a much better measure of which are the best teams. Enforced parity gives us even reg season results that are close for the middling 15-20 teams. What in hell to people expect in a first to 4 wins series?? The variance of outcome is high, especially in low scoring games like hockey or soccer. In layman's terms upsets are not unusual in hockey.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Yeah, it seems the people posting has doubled since the playoffs. I hope the series is tied for everyone’s sake.

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
I think the Pens, Kings, and Blackhawks have proven it is about far more than just "luck" or a "hot goalie" over the past decade. In an individual game, yeah, that can make a huge difference. But championship level teams find a way to win 4 out of 7 games and move on.

I'm hoping the Caps saved rgeur best for tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia