Easier franchise to fix, Ottawa or Montreal?

Easier road to recovery, Ottawa or Montreal?

• Total voters

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
As bad as the current situation in Ottawa is, an ownership change (which will happen eventually, what Melnyk is doing is not sustainable) would pretty much fix most things. I just fear that it'll be too late when he decides to sell and everyone will talk.

Jan 21, 2018
Ottawa easily, how is this even a question?

Montreal can't even rebuild properly with those terrible contracts on the team. All the Sens have to do is get a new Owner and they can essentially rebuild from scratch after this upcoming season.

Sens will have a decade filled with guarenteed lottery picks. Habs I'm sure will have some decent seasons, some finishing bottom 10, bottom 15 etc It's not even close.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Montreal needs to draft much better, and perhaps trade Price for some young pieces. Individually, Ottawa has better talent, but they'll lose half of that talent before training camp.

I think Ottawa is more toxic on a number of levels. Montreal has a management competence issue, while Ottawa is ... yuck.

Reactions: amethyst

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Not to be too harsh, but MTL is just a dreadful team. It will take 7 years to properly rebuild and the key word is properly, whether or not MB is able to do that remains to be seen. However they're only bad.

While Ott has far more assets that could speed up the rebuild and good young players ready to come in their issue is they will never win with that owner, and now that their culture is a nightmare no one is going to want to be a part of that and there is no estimate for how long that will take to fix. Thus I think Ott is in the worse spot.

Both are just awful teams with the main issue stemming from incompetence at the top which is really unfortunate for the fans.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Neither, both of these teams have idiot owners(Ottawa's we all know but Montreal's is also an idiot, the Montreal owner has let the GM run the team into the ground, Montreal has $18+ million committed to a goalie and a defense men that may have seen his best days, a GM whose drafting and trading are nothing to write home about.) With the history and fans that Montreal has, had the owner been honest and upfront, Montreal could have been a good team. Had the Montreal owner just said to the fans, "we need to go through a rebuild, we will get another GM for job, the race, the nationality or language of the new GM will not matter because we are going to get the best candidate for the job, please be patient with us and we will do this properly and we will become Stanley cup Contenders" had he just said this, the fans would have understood and be patient and supported the team.

Both of these teams are a mess and will likely take new owner ship to fix this(more for Ottawa than Montreal.)

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Ottawa easily, how is this even a question?

Montreal can't even rebuild properly with those terrible contracts on the team. All the Sens have to do is get a new Owner and they can essentially rebuild from scratch after this upcoming season.

Sens will have a decade filled with guarenteed lottery picks. Habs I'm sure will have some decent seasons, some finishing bottom 10, bottom 15 etc It's not even close.

No. Both require that certain personnel leave the team.
A GM is easier to replace.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Ottawa still should be a middle of the pack team with all there best players in their mid to late 20s. Unless they tear it all down they'll be a bubble playoff team for the next 5 years. At least Montreal is bad enough to maybe draft a franchise player.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Habs
Easily

Sens have crap owner
Owner doesn't want to pay Karlsson
Karlsson and his wife were getting bullied and aren't happy
Karlsson may leave, Hoffman may leave.
There was other issues with someone in management touching someone
Dorion is following command and is cheap
Boucher is a crap coach after 1-2 seasons and time is up
No 1st rounder next year
No Dahlin
Best player in franchise history isn't happy with owner

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Montreal is an extremely easy fix:
Fire Bergevin
Get what you can for Patches, Weber and Price (retain if need be)
Move forward

Habs will always be the Habs in legend status, they can always spend the money and people will always want to play there. If they got 3 1sts and a few prospects for those names with 3-4 million retained total, Habs would be looking pretty decent.

I think Galchy, Gallagher, Mete, Lindgren are great starting points to build behind, sorta like Naz, Rielly, Gardiner and co were solid start pieces for Toronto, still needed more top end talent, but they can find that in the draft.

EDIT: JUST SAW THAT TRADE. holy f*** HABS ARE f***ED!!!!!

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Mtl has some horrible contracts and a garbage gm.

Ottawa has a terrible owner and some strange off ice issues.

If i was gm id rather be mtl bc Atleast u can wait out the contracts or try to trade them (price at 10m for 8 years ahahha).

I dont think melnyk is leaving for a long time.

Both are pretty f***ed tho for the next 5-10 years

Reactions: amethyst

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Habs have the resources to run a top notch organization. Just need the right people in the right places.

Reactions: bert

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
idk, both better than the Canucks with Benning & Linden

edit: to expand on the above, Ottawa and Montreal are making big grand moves

Canucks GM is death by a thousand cuts, which is worse.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Montreal is an extremely easy fix:
Fire Bergevin
Get what you can for Patches, Weber and Price (retain if need be)
Move forward

Habs will always be the Habs in legend status, they can always spend the money and people will always want to play there. If they got 3 1sts and a few prospects for those names with 3-4 million retained total, Habs would be looking pretty decent.

I think Galchy, Gallagher, Mete, Lindgren are great starting points to build behind, sorta like Naz, Rielly, Gardiner and co were solid start pieces for Toronto, still needed more top end talent, but they can find that in the draft.

EDIT: JUST SAW THAT TRADE. holy **** HABS ARE ****ED!!!!!
Can I change my vote?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
They're both f***ed. Ottawa has the worst owner in the league but Montreal have two of the worst contracts in the league along with absolutely nothing down the middle.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Montreal should be taking this easily. Money is not an issue in Montreal and Montreal has not traded 2019 high first rounder.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
You are married to price through a rebuild. How is that going to work?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ottawa. I think more would be fixed by changing their owner than Montreal’s GM. Bergevin has already dug the hole.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
If I was a GM and had to pick one of those to fix, I'm taking Ottawa. Prices and Webers contracts are going to absolutely kill Montreal in years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad