Easier franchise to fix, Ottawa or Montreal?

Easier road to recovery, Ottawa or Montreal?

• Total voters

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
You can’t fix what is happening to Ottawa, that is the most disgraceful situation hockey has every heard of in my opinion. Bullying a mother and father who lost her child is a disgusting as it gets, what makes it worse is it’s by that mans teamtes wife..

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Don't rebuild.

They need centers. Get centers.

OR

Get wingers who you THINK can play center

146706443.0.jpg

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Ottawa, fairly easily too.

They have potential trade chips that could garner a huge return to boost their rebuild. Montreal doesn't have that.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
You can’t fix what is happening to Ottawa, that is the most disgraceful situation hockey has every heard of in my opinion. Bullying a mother and father who lost her child is a disgusting as it gets, what makes it worse is it’s by that mans teamtes wife..

Sounds like you got confirmation it was Hoffman and his wife. Can you post the link, thanks.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I voted for Montreal for the simple fact that Geoff Molson is not a crazy owner as Eugene Melnyk. Although that's not saying much when you consider the moves Marc Bergevin has made as the Canadiens GM.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
People are saying “you just have to change the owner” like that is a simple trade people make.
I just think it's inevitable at some point.

He's bleeding money due to debt and there's a pretty strong boycott by Sens fans right now. Maybe he'll continue to be stubborn for a little longer, but what happens when he can't afford to even spend the minimum?

Almost every Sens fan I know won't spend a dime on the team until he sells.

Last edited:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Ottawa has the better players/prospects on paper but as previous posters have mentioned, a GM is a lot easier to replace than an owner. With that being said, a new GM can't be assumed to automatically fix Montreal's dreadful drafting and terrible contracts. They would likely be starting from complete scratch whereas even with a garbage owner, Ottawa has the talent to push for a playoff spot as soon as next year.

I'll go with Sens.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I reckon it is more likely to see a GM fired than an owner to sell his franchise.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Over the long haul, I'd still rather rebuild Montreal. The team still has a lot of cachet. It's just been mismanaged for the last few decades.

Reactions: amethyst

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Don't rebuild.

They need centers. Get centers.

Bergevin traded away Subban, segachev, and galchenyuk and didnt even manage to get a centre.

Habs 3rd pick wont get them a center

Where are the habs gonna get that number 1 centre without rebuilding? They have no pieces valuable enough

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bergevin traded away Subban, segachev, and galchenyuk and didnt even manage to get a centre.

Habs 3rd pick wont get them a center

Where are the habs gonna get that number 1 centre without rebuilding? They have no pieces valuable enough
Sign Stastny.

Trade Alzner/Shaw for Seabrook/Anisimov.

Trade Pacioretty for a Rubtsov++.

Center depth.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Montreal.

They get a real Gm and they could be going somewhere, where as Ottawa's problems are going way over Gm.

CCM19

Not Phased
Apr 2, 2015
Wasn’t one of these clubs almost in the finals a year ago?

Easy answer here.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
As bad as the current situation in Ottawa is, an ownership change (which will happen eventually, what Melnyk is doing is not sustainable) would pretty much fix most things. I just fear that it'll be too late when he decides to sell and everyone will talk.
He’s not going to sell until at least the Lebreton Arena is built and they’ve played some games. He’s not just going to sell at a lower value than he can get because fans don’t like him

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Changing a GM and tanking is easier than selling the team, somehow not relocating, building a new arena, firing your GM and then tanking.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Its Montreal by a fair margin, due to the financial power they can wield. They can do what the Leafs did a few years ago and make the problems go away if they want to. Weber Island, if you will.

It becomes even easier if we get a lockout in a few years with compliance buyouts. Buy Price. Buy Weber.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Short term Ottawa is easier to fix as they do have some talent but just need to remove the owner and fix some other internal issues, Montreal is easier to fix long term if the do a proper rebuild. The problem with Ottawa is that it's unlikely they get a new owner and fix those internal issues quickly so they have a bleak long term outlook. Montreal could change their GM but it doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon either, on top of that the new GM would have to get on board with a proper rebuild.

If I had to pick one it would be Montreal as they have the money, just not the leadership to do a proper rebuild. They need to bring in some better scouts, replace their GM and commit to rebuilding.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He’s not going to sell until at least the Lebreton Arena is built and they’ve played some games. He’s not just going to sell at a lower value than he can get because fans don’t like him
There are doubts that he even has the money or financing to make Lebreton happen. He’s toned down the talk and seems content with Kanata now.

The opposing Lebreton bid group were/are interested in buying the Sens. They’ll most likely have direct access to it if they get the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad