Easier franchise to fix, Ottawa or Montreal?

Easier road to recovery, Ottawa or Montreal?

• Total voters

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Exactly, that's why I feel they are easier to fix. They also have some decent prospects in the system (Brown, White, Chabot if you still consider him a prospect, Drake Batherson), lots of reason for optimism.
Yeah we need some veteran front office execs to insulate PD,I believe he could develop into a decent GM with some help,for that too happen the team,s biggest issue would first need to be resolved....EM grrrr

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Depends on the way you look at it.

Ottawa is pretty fixable through one quick thing - ownership change. The team itself has more pieces to work with, with Duchene, Karlsson, Hoffman, Stone and Chabot. They also have White and Brown coming up, and the #4 overall pick (which could be Zadina, knowing Montreal).

Montreal is a mess from top to bottom, but they can fix themselves. Although it would be harder, it's also more possible since Melnyk doesn't seem like he's willing to sell the team.

LaMascarade

Sep 9, 2016
Montreal won't rebuild.
They have elite players at key positions, a decent young core and even some cap space.
They need to sign a center or two and will probably make playoff next year.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Homer vote to Habs here.

As much as MB is awful, I think Habs are getting underrated on HF because of last season. I still believe this team is a playoffs team pending major injuries (a la Weber/Pacioretty) + Price being above average next year (if him being the Price that we know, even better).

Not saying they are SC caliber, far from it, but I belive they are a playoffs 1st/2nd round team.

Oh boy did MB screw that team... if that wasn't for him, we wouldn't have this thread.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Montreal won't rebuild.
They have elite players at key positions, a decent young core and even some cap space.
They need to sign a center or two and will probably make playoff next year.

You sound like Toronto fans of 10 years ago. I feel sorry for you, really.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa has the splashier headlines, but I think they have more attractive assets and better contracts on their team overall. Montreal has a bunch of crippling long-term contracts.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Ottawa. Hoffman and Karlsson are both gone this summer, they'll fetch a good return, Melnyk's days as owners are probably numbered. Meanwhile in Montreal they have a goalie albeit Price who turns 31 in August, locked down for the next 8 yrs. paying him 15 million next season and they just traded Gally for Domi.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ottawa because there's less pressure.

In Montreal I have the owner up my butt, the fans up my butt, the media up my butt, and two massive contracts all while trying to learn French.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Habs fire everyone in management & trade everyone older then 24 who has any value and rebuild from scratch.

Sens.....can’t fire the owner.

Habs are easier to fix.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ottawa.

What if Price doesnt return to form????? Like that contract kills them.
Shea Weber has 8 years left which is a hell of a lot term.

Ottawas only brutal contract is Bobby ryan with 4 more years.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Habs easily. All we have to do is get rid of M.B. We have an owner willing to spend and lots of cap space.
Ott is a hot pile of DO-DO right now. They are going to lose 2 of their top players and even if they get a great return they will lose those guys next time their contract comes up because their will not pay.
What's easier to replace G.M or Owner. WE all know that answer.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I think it's Montreal, but it should be Ottawa. Stone/Karlsson + 4OA (or a top 3 pick next year if they give up the pick this year) is a better and younger core than what Montreal has, but the franchise is such a gong show and it's doubtful they can keep that core together (or find a supporting cast if they extend them). Problem is the money, it's quite possible Karlsson is gone even if they can afford to offer 12X8 and if they extend Stone and Duchene they're running out of money without much left to elevate that core which just finished in the basement. At the very least we know the Habs can spend to the cap and back up the money truck if necessary, while the Senators are doing things like getting Bodker and Gaborik to save a few million in real dollars and reach the cap floor.

People overreact to Weber's contract too, practically speaking the remainder of the contract is 7.8X5 for his 33-37 seasons. Going into the upcoming season he has 4 years paid 6M, 1 year paid 3M, and then 3 years of 1M. If you think Weber is playing out those final 3 years for 1M each after making 107M the prior 11 years I have a bridge to sell you. 7.8MX5 under an 80M and rising cap isn't really some franchise damning albatross. It also doesn't make any sense as a dealbreaker in this comparison, if Weber is supposedly going to kill the Habs then how do you pick the Senators with the Ryan contract? Weber is still a useful top pair defender, and Ryan costs nearly as much and only 1 year less to be a 3rd line winger. I just have a hard time imagining Ottawa being able to build something without a new owner, and I think the Habs can fixing the "hockey" side of things is much more likely than the Senators either fixing the business side or finding a new owner. If they extend Stone/Karlsson/Duchene as their core at say, 8M/12M/7.5M, those three contracts plus Ryan are going to cost 35M in actual dollars and at that point you're left with maybe 25-35M to fill out the remaining 19 spots on the roster.

If the Senators could spend to the cap it wouldn't be an issue and I'd much rather take over a core of Stone/Karlsson/Duchene as a new GM, you could just hang on to Ryan and still be more or less fine under an 80M+ cap with that core. But it seems like the Sens internal budget is something like 60M right now and that's tough, especially because the knock-on effects are things like losing out on Ceci for Hall because you need financial approval, greatly reducing the return for Karlsson by including the Bobby Ryan contract, downgrading from Phaneuf to Gaborik to save cash, trading Zibanejad for Brassard to save cash, ditching Turris to save cash instead of having both Duchene and Turris, or trading Hoffman for Boedker to save 1M and reach the cap floor (his cap hit is 4M and salary 3M) instead of getting half decent picks from Florida. That's a long line of bad moves that mostly happened due to financial constraints, and a GM in Montreal wouldn't have to deliberately lose trades just for financial reasons.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Ottawa. Hoffman and Karlsson are both gone this summer, they'll fetch a good return, Melnyk's days as owners are probably numbered. Meanwhile in Montreal they have a goalie albeit Price who turns 31 in August, locked down for the next 8 yrs. paying him 15 million next season and they just traded Gally for Domi.

Well.... hopefully one of them will

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Montreal easily

Even if you take all variables out of the equation, the Habs are still the Habs.

The Sens are a train wreck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad