Early thoughts on Babcock

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Wings fan coming here in peace, as I have not followed this board or the Leafs at all this year, I was just wondering what the early thoughts on Babcock are? It was well documented the frustration a lot of the Wings fans had with some of his ways ie line combos/icetime distribution etc. Are you seeing a lot of the same this year? I know one thing that frustrated people was always having a "piano puller" with the skill guys. Has he adapted to different type of roster at all?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
He seems to like that "piano puller" with skill guys theme, and organizationally we seem to be building our prospect system that way, but they aren't dumb brutes.

Our "piano pullers" are Komarov, Leipsic, Soshnikov, Timashov, Herzog, etc.

Not knuckle-draggers but guys with heart and edge and who play the body and fight hard in puck battles. And Komarov especially has elite level takeaway skills.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Wings fan coming here in peace, as I have not followed this board or the Leafs at all this year, I was just wondering what the early thoughts on Babcock are? It was well documented the frustration a lot of the Wings fans had with some of his ways ie line combos/icetime distribution etc. Are you seeing a lot of the same this year? I know one thing that frustrated people was always having a "piano puller" with the skill guys. Has he adapted to different type of roster at all?

My thoughts on Babs

The man is a rock , the kind of anchor and leader this organisation was in dire need of.

I feel our young players and prospects are in very safe hands.

As for line combos and ice distribution, those are mote points right now.

He does not have the player resources right now to create a winning team.

but he does have the right attitude and style to create a winning culture.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
No talent on this roster at all, and he's getting a lot out of it. The team plays with actual structure, Corsi is WAY up from last year, and his main selling point is accountability. You work hard on this team or you don't play. You produce, you get minutes. He doesn't get caught up in who's being paid the most or who's the most high profile. It's all about how hard you work and if you produce.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Evaluating Babcock the way OP wants isn't really possible at this stage, because we're icing a Franken-roster of guys we're just trying to pump the value up on to deal at the deadline. So guys that Babs might never play in the best of circumstances are getting looks that are purely to give the team a chance to move them for better value.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Evaluating Babcock the way OP wants isn't really possible at this stage, because we're icing a Franken-roster of guys we're just trying to pump the value up on to deal at the deadline. So guys that Babs might never play in the best of circumstances are getting looks that are purely to give the team a chance to move them for better value.

Thats kind of what I expected to hear but was simply just curious. It's good that the fans (at least those that have replied) are being patient with the process!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Many Wings and Devs fans said said it was times for these people to go.
They came to a place, where we haven't had an "it" factor. Both have done at starting a new culture.

This current roster was meant to tank, and has done so. Its a great testment, of what he has done with so little. Still good to be leading the league in extra-man goals (not the PP), 6th in shots for, top half of the league in faceoffs wins.

Its too early, as both Mike and Lou, will be going into a strange territory, which they haven't really gone to. Mike will eventually ice a quite young roster, one which he hasn't done since his Spokane days.
Lou will have to show, that his past 5 years with NJ are a fluke, and can actually build a team, as something he has done before. His cone of silence was something, that was desperately needed for the Leafs.
The drama has to stay contained and it has. Look at how the public the rift within the Habs are...just look at the main board. No salutegate this year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
-has improved the team defensively quite a bit
-has maintained full control of the dressing room
-compete level is noticeably higher than previous seasons
-manages the media very well
-put Phaneuf in the type of role where we were able to move him without retaining any salary

He was never going to be a silver bullet. The talent level on the team is simply laughable at the moment. Seeing what he can do over the next few years with the likes of Nylander, Marner, our 2016 1st, Brown, Kapanen, Johnson, Dermott, etc will be fun to watch.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Aside from the thoughts from the posters above which I would echo, one thing is clear: most of us feel confident with Babcock. He's well respected, well spoken, well liked. These alone make him better for our organization than we've had in a long time.

Time will tell for how he manages our young new kids. Time will tell if he can draw enough out of the team in the next years to be a contender, with the hope that we have some of the personnel to do so by then as well.

For now, I have nothing bad to say.
I have pretty much the same exact comments about all of our management group now.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Bought credibility to the team. Has had no impact on the expected outcome.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In part it's hard to evaluate his performance since 1) the roster is nearly void of skill, 2) likely only 2-4 players in the team will be with the leafs beyond 2-3 more seasons.

I also love his media relations - says what needs to be said but doesn't throw players under the bus. You can tell he's attempting to create a sheltered environment for his young guys.

That said, his use of systems is already superior to the previous two coaches. You can tell that once he gets the tools (players) he needs it will be a lethal combination.

The largest criticism is give him has been his over usage of Hunwick - who has been terrible all year getting major minutes. Though perhaps he's being showcased for a trade.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
-put Phaneuf in the type of role where we were able to move him without retaining any salary

He was never going to be a silver bullet. The talent level on the team is simply laughable at the moment. Seeing what he can do over the next few years with the likes of Nylander, Marner, our 2016 1st, Brown, Kapanen, Johnson, Dermott, etc will be fun to watch.

He managed to pump a #5-6 string D's tires, getting paid $7M year... and trade him without retaining salary. Babcock gets an A+ for that, Fantastic!

Hopefully he can mentor Marner and Nylander into NHL superstars.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He managed to pump a #5-6 string D's tires, getting paid $7M year... and trade him without retaining salary. Babcock gets an A+ for that, Fantastic!

Hopefully he can mentor Marner and Nylander into NHL superstars.

Calling Phaneuf a 5-6 D is one of the reasons some people believe this fan base is stupid. Seriously man?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He has given us a certain amount of respectability even as a last place team.
That's not easy to do. I'm sure other teams aren't approaching us as such.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I think his biggest impact has simply been stability, and accountabiity.

In past seasons, there was constant talk of coaches being on the hot seat etc. With Babs on an 8 year deal getting paid more than many of the players, there's none of that. Babcock has the full authority to do whatever he see's fit to instill a hardworking culture in this group, and the players know that if they don't meet expectations there will be repercussions.

Perhaps surprisingly, this season has been much more upbeat than many in the past when the team was more competitive. Just from watching the team, it seems like a much funner group to be around - despite all the losing, there's none of the drama we've become so used to in Leaf Land; everyone is pulling on the same rope.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Loooooove him. The fact he has this roster playing as well as they are speaks volumes.

He has remade Jake Gardiner into a top 4 dman. He remade Phaneuf enough for us to get a favourable deal for him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Nothing early about it. He is the best coach in the game and gets alot out of very little every game. The players respect him so thats all you need. He is brutally honest and fair rotten ha.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
His record isn't great, but he's a good coach. The Leafs record is worse than their play, they've lost a lot of close games and should have more. At least they are losing competitively, there aren't too many nights where the opponents can say we kicked your butt. Babcock has brought the best out of a low talent team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
With the exception of the Leafs losing 7-0 in San Jose and 7-2 in Chicago, Babcock has had them playing a lot better and even a lot of their other loses have been close games which could have went the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad