Line Combos: Early look at the 23-24 Habs

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The real interesting thing will be what Hughes will do about Price?

3 options

1. LTIR before opening day and we maximize his cap ($83.5 & $10.5m). Is the worst option as it kills our cap space on day 1, and we can't open up or accrue space.

2. Don't use LTIR at all unless we need to do it due to injury. That means he's only on IR not LTIR to start season. Doing it this way means we get the full use of his $10.5m during the season if we need it. It also allows us to accrue cap space if we don't. However, it gives us a $73m cap for rest of team if we do it this way.

3. Do what we did last year with Byron. Maximize Price's LTIR before opening day then put another player on LTIR on opening day to use as cap space. We do not accrue space doing this either, but might still be best option. We would need to trade for a short-term LTIR player. Someone like Jake Muzzin from Toronto if Toronto doesn’t want to use LTIR and instead accrue cap space.
Me:
high-guy.gif

Yes.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Caufield-Suzuki-RHP
Newhook-Dach-Anderson
Slaf-Monahan-Gallagher
Heineman-Evans-Yolonen
Hoffman,Armia

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Xhekaj-Harris
Kovacevic

Montembeault
Allen

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

It sounds like they're going with option #2. Don't put Price on LTIR (so he's included in the $83.5m cap) before season opener, go a bit over that cap prior to opening day (no more than $3m) send RHP, Xhekaj, etc down day before opening day to get to $83.5m. On Opening Day, put Price on LTIR - voila $10.5m in cap space. Recall players that were sent down.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
CC - Suzuki - Newhook
RHP - Dach - Anderson
Slaf - Dvo - Monahan
Armia - Evans - Gally
Ylonen, Pez, Pitlick
(Hoffman in A or traded)

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Kovacevic

Monty
Allen

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
CC - Suzuki - Newhook
RHP - Dach - Anderson
Slaf - Dvo - Monahan
Armia - Evans - Gally
Ylonen, Pez, Pitlick
(Hoffman in A or traded)

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Kovacevic

Monty
Allen
That first line is too small IMO.

They should put Monahan there with the kids.

Reactions: Doublechin

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Caufield Suzuki Newhook
Slafkovsky Dach Monahan
RHP Dvorak Anderson
Hoffman/Armia Evans Gallagher

It should be better then last year if we stay healthy.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
CC-Dach-Newhook
RHP-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Monahan-Armia
Heineman-Evans-Gallagher
Pezzeta-Ylonen

Matheson-Savard
Ghule-Barron
Xhekaj-Harris

Montambault
Allen

LTIR:Dvorak
Sent to minors: Pitlick, Wideman, hoffman

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Caufield - Suzuki - Monahan
Slafkovsky - Dach - Anderson
Newhook - Dvorak - Spinach
Pezzetta - Evans - Ylonen

Guhle - Matheson
Savard - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris

Montembault
Primeau

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
It sounds like they're going with option #2. Don't put Price on LTIR (so he's included in the $83.5m cap) before season opener, go a bit over that cap prior to opening day (no more than $3m) send RHP, Xhekaj, etc down day before opening day to get to $83.5m. On Opening Day, put Price on LTIR - voila $10.5m in cap space. Recall players that were sent down.
Last step with the freed 6-9M$: trade for a bad contract (short term) in exchange for a compensation maybe?

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Last step with the freed 6-9M$: trade for a bad contract (short term) in exchange for a compensation maybe?

Too late to do that immediately probably. Everyone has to be cap compliant by opening day, but it's possible to do that a bit later.

Florida for instance will use LTIR for Ekblad to begin the season whether or not they'll have cap room to take him off is another question.

I don't expect Montreal to do a Monahan trade this year. Reason we were able to do that last year was because Byron was put on LTIR the day of opening day, and Price was put on pre-season LTIR.

Monahan was essentially added to fill the Price LTIR space then Byron's LTIR was used as our season cap space, but we were running out by mid-season, and put Monahan on LTIR to help out.

Price's LTIR should carry us through the season just fine, and probably help at TDL too.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
I feel sick seeing that 6.5 million dollar boat anchor Gallagher flipping between 3rd and 4th lines, knowing that we're stuck with him as long as the cap raises remain flat. It really hurt this offseason, seeing the UFA talent that was available at a deep discount on short term deals, but knowing that the Habs were handcuffed with Gallgher/Armia/Hoffman eating up a massive chunk of cap while bringing very little.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Caufield-Suzuki-RHP
Newhook-Dach-Anderson
Slaf-Monahan-Gallagher
Heineman-Evans-Yolonen
Hoffman,Armia

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Xhekaj-Harris
Kovacevic

Montembeault
Allen
RHP and Newhook could switch but that's your top six. I like Gallagher with Slaf and Monahan at the start because he is going to be at his healthiest and you might as well take advantage of it, when he slows down someone can be promoted. The absence of Dvorak I'm not sure, if there is an injury at C, which is likely does Newhook move to 3C ?. At least one extra forward.

Reactions: Hickflyer

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
RHP and Newhook could switch but that's your top six. I like Gallagher with Slaf and Monahan at the start because he is going to be at his healthiest and you might as well take advantage of it, when he slows down someone can be promoted. The absence of Dvorak I'm not sure, if there is an injury at C, which is likely does Newhook move to 3C ?. At least one extra forward.
I didn't put Dvorak because it's been reported he'll most likely start the year on the IL. But yeah, once he'll comes back, he'll probably take someone's spot.

Hughes has to find a way to get rid of some deadwood in the next 3 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beer and Chips

Hickflyer

Feb 21, 2023
Space Coast

I really like the top two lines. Hope it happends.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Sherwoo9

Jul 17, 2018
Roster in 3+ years. Premature but fun to try to project.

Caufield / Suzuki / Dach
Slaf / Dubois / Michkov
Roy / Beck / Anderson

* RHP, Farrell, Ylonen, Kidney, Davidson, Tuch

Guhle / Mailloux
Matheson / Xhekaj
Hutson / Engstrom

Monty, Dobes

* Got to keep searching for goalies

(Barron, Mesar, Harris, Dvorak traded for Dubois). We retain the Panthers 1st and draft a goalie or RD.
Been a hard 2 weeks for that prediction

• Haha
Reactions: Habs Halifax

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I feel sick seeing that 6.5 million dollar boat anchor Gallagher flipping between 3rd and 4th lines, knowing that we're stuck with him as long as the cap raises remain flat. It really hurt this offseason, seeing the UFA talent that was available at a deep discount on short term deals, but knowing that the Habs were handcuffed with Gallgher/Armia/Hoffman eating up a massive chunk of cap while bringing very little.
If you ever happen to run into Bergevin give him a big thumbs up for a job well done. We could have given a Bruins fan the reins for a day and they scarcely could have hamstrung the team worse than this. On the plus side, this offseason the team cleared $9M in his ill-advised contracts to Byron and Drouin so we just need a little more patience.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Pez deserves a spot on this team next year, I think we will need his forecheck a bit and size. Evans seems like he's on the way out

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Would love to see Dach as a CENTER (no? yes? we need at least one big/tall center for crying out loud!).

Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson
Pinard/Slaf - Dach/Monahan - Monahan/Dach
Slaf/Pinard - Newhook - Gallagher
Pezzetta/Hoffman - Evans - Armia

Dvorak (injured?)
Ylonen

Guhle - Savard
Matheson - Barron
Xhekaj - Kovacevic

Harris
Wideman
Struble (10-15 games+...?)