Early line matchups for Cdn junior camp

no Gino

May 16, 2005
I was surprised to read how Giroux has struggled so far. I know he's a right winger, so I'm wondering if him playing out of position is the cause of his difficulties right now. I'd imagine that Team Canada would try to find a way to get his skill on the team. He's a sick passer and is a great penalty killer. I also noticed that Downie was playing out of position as well. He's also a right winger that is playing on the left side.

There is a video report at TSN.ca from camp which features Giroux. It talks about how he has impressed at the camp so far. Not sure how accurate that is but differs from reports that he has struggled.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
I'd love to hear how Codey Burki looks on that line with McArdle and O'Marra. He hasn't played wing since early on on the last season with Fehr and Stone and even then I think they had him at center.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
The difference between Pouliot and Latendresse at last year's WJs was big. While Pouliot didn't have a great tournament and performed subpar offensively, he still showed flashes of spark with some occassional great plays with the puck, and more importantly was involved physically. Involved on the forecheck, engaging guys in the neutral zone, pressuring on the backcheck, etc. Latendresse did absolutely none of those things. I don't know what happened to him, but he looked lost and frightened as he floated around the ice. He sucked in the neutral zone and on the forecheck every time he was on the ice, and wasn't doing anything useful with the puck. In a short tournament, you can't afford to play a guy to try to get out of a funk if he is a liability and isn't working his butt off. That's why he didn't get much of a chance after the first few games, and that's why it was the right decision. There is NO question he was the worst forward on the team, and Pouliot isn't even close because he still contributed in other ways despite not producing like he can offensively. I know someone is going to bring up his two stupid penalties, but at least those penalties came out of aggression and emotion, two things Latendresse entirely lacked.

Having said all that, I would be shocked if he didn't make this year's team. They all say how no one has a spot and you have to earn it and whatever else, but realistically you have to play your way off the team if you have already played once. In such a short tournament with a steep learning curve like the WJs, experience is invaluable. I would bet big money he'll be on the team barring injury, and I hope he is, because despite his terrible performance last year his experience combined with the fact that he is capable of such high level play mean he has a chance to be a big difference maker.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The difference between Pouliot and Latendresse at last year's WJs was big. While Pouliot didn't have a great tournament and performed subpar offensively, he still showed flashes of spark with some occassional great plays with the puck, and more importantly was involved physically. Involved on the forecheck, engaging guys in the neutral zone, pressuring on the backcheck, etc. Latendresse did absolutely none of those things. I don't know what happened to him, but he looked lost and frightened as he floated around the ice. He sucked in the neutral zone and on the forecheck every time he was on the ice, and wasn't doing anything useful with the puck. In a short tournament, you can't afford to play a guy to try to get out of a funk if he is a liability and isn't working his butt off. That's why he didn't get much of a chance after the first few games, and that's why it was the right decision. There is NO question he was the worst forward on the team, and Pouliot isn't even close because he still contributed in other ways despite not producing like he can offensively. I know someone is going to bring up his two stupid penalties, but at least those penalties came out of aggression and emotion, two things Latendresse entirely lacked.

Having said all that, I would be shocked if he didn't make this year's team. They all say how no one has a spot and you have to earn it and whatever else, but realistically you have to play your way off the team if you have already played once. In such a short tournament with a steep learning curve like the WJs, experience is invaluable. I would bet big money he'll be on the team barring injury, and I hope he is, because despite his terrible performance last year his experience combined with the fact that he is capable of such high level play mean he has a chance to be a big difference maker.

Excellent post and I agree (same to you BobbyClarkeFan16) I think the experience Latendresse went through last year will do him some good this year and it can also serve as an example to some of the new kids coming up this year

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I'm not making excuses for Latendresse, he didn't play well enough to get playing time, you won't get an argument from me there. However, all this talk of him being horrible is way off base, because like I said, he didn't get the same opportunities to get back on track (despite what you say) like others did. (like Cogliano as you mentionned)

Listen I nor anyone else from what i've read have said hes a horrible player even once....I did say he "played a horrible tourney" which he did...he also did get every opportunity to come back and get back on track just as Cogliano did, and he didnt do it.........he looked horrible.

Oh well, I said he took penalties......that was meant in regards to Pouliot and I accidentally said it about Latendresse.........I still saw every second of every game that team Canada played and know that Lantendresse looked terrible.......the fact that you keep arguing he wasnt bad is the point.........HE WAS BAD.....so bad in fact that on a team that had very little in the way of offense and needed offense, him an offensive player couldnt even get playing time.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Which lends credence to my argument that while Latendresse wasn't great the limited time he was given. He wasn't also given the same chance to try and find his game like Pouliot was. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

Pouliot was not bad defensively either though, he took some penalties, and didnt score.......but he is fast and played hard in the corners and fought for the puck.......unlike latendresse.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Listen I nor anyone else from what i've read have said hes a horrible player even once....I did say he "played a horrible tourney" which he did...he also did get every opportunity to come back and get back on track just as Cogliano did, and he didnt do it.........he looked horrible.

Oh well, I said he took penalties......that was meant in regards to Pouliot and I accidentally said it about Latendresse.........I still saw every second of every game that team Canada played and know that Lantendresse looked terrible.......the fact that you keep arguing he wasnt bad is the point.........HE WAS BAD.....so bad in fact that on a team that had very little in the way of offense and needed offense, him an offensive player couldnt even get playing time.

I know you didn't say he was a horrible player:dunno:

either way, I just don't agree that he was 'horrible' during the tournament.

I kind of link it to the Habs board during this past season. If you got to game day threads after a loss, you've got all these people saying "Sundstrom was horrible or Perezhogin was horrible" yet when I look at their icetime, they're all under 4 mins for the game:dunno:

I just think it's kind of hard to say Latendresse was much of anything, given the fact he barely played, when I formulate an opinion on a certain players game, I like to have a larger sample for me to base that upon, but that's just me.

Your point is well taken though

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I know you didn't say he was a horrible player:dunno:

either way, I just don't agree that he was 'horrible' during the tournament.

I kind of link it to the Habs board during this past season. If you got to game day threads after a loss, you've got all these people saying "Sundstrom was horrible or Perezhogin was horrible" yet when I look at their icetime, they're all under 4 mins for the game:dunno:

I just think it's kind of hard to say Latendresse was much of anything, given the fact he barely played, when I formulate an opinion on a certain players game, I like to have a larger sample for me to base that upon, but that's just me.

Your point is well taken though

well it comes down to what they do during any amount of ice time they get......if he played only 7 or 8 mins and was horrible during those 7 or 8 mins why would the coach play him 15 ? just as if someone like downie plays tough and really good during his 12 mins maybe coach gives him 15-17 cuz he trusts him.

the part i had a problem with was you thinking latendresse didnt get a chance, he had every chance that any other player in the team had....first game it was bertram who was the 13th fwd even if im not mistaking and he just outplayed latendresse and stole his spot.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Oh well, I said he took penalties......that was meant in regards to Pouliot and I accidentally said it about Latendresse.........I still saw every second of every game that team Canada played and know that Lantendresse looked terrible

You have to admit, it's a big credibility gap in considering your argument though. You state that Latendresse was bad and one of your main points was the stupid penalties he took because he was lazy, and then when you're called on the fact he never even had a singly penalty, you quickly reiterate you watched every minute of every game and "just know" that he looked terrible.

I guesss my main point would be, what good is watching every minute of the game, if 6 months later you can't really differentiate between players when posing an argument? You've obviously mixed a few things up along the way, which is ok, no one remembers every detail, but you have to understand that those reading your posts are going to take your points with a major grain of salt about what you vehemently claim to "know" based on the reality you have fundamental facts dead wrong in making your original argument.

Anyways, on to the Red and White game...

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I took in tonight's first scrimmage game at the Canadian Junior Camp. Here are some general impressions:

Cogliano looked really solid. Great wheels as advertised. Scored a beauty unassisted goal on his blazing forecheck. Pretty good anticipation and passing abilities. Strikes me as more of a playmaker than scorer. Could develop into an awesome penalty killer. Downsize is size - he is smallish and wasn't very good in the faceoff circle. Two more years of college will serve him well.

Dirty rat but our dirty rat.Man is Steve Downy a nasty piece of work. Chippy, dirty, mouthy ... but this guy is full out on every shift. He leaves nothing on the ice. Solid offensive skills but prone to bad penalties. Kinda guy you love to hate. Flyers got a good player but will have to live with his hair trigger temper. Had a running battle all game with Chris Stewart. Showed this guy doesn't pick his spots.

Smooth. Toews came as advertised. Solid all around player who showed good playmaking abilities, decent shot, and strong defensive play. Looked very good in the faceoff circle.

Blue-Chip. Jordan Staal will be a star. This guy is HUGE. Looks solid in all facets of the game. Perhaps a little bit passive. But he let go a wicked, wicked wristshot that suggests a guy who will score big in the NHL.

Surprise. I really like the game of Chris Stewart. I think he will be a better player than his brother. Much more polished. Big, good speed and agility, and shows finish. Played with Toews and played very well. Impressed in my first viewing.

NHL ready. Canucks have a good one in Bourdon. Big, physical d-man who will play in all situations but likely be a d-stopper. Showed fire and a short fuse going after a Team Red player.

Kenndal McArdle also had a good, solid game. Tried to hit someone on every shift, looked solid in offensive zone.

Loved the d-pairing of Stall and Parent. Think Stall could be more physical but these are two very smart players.

turnbuckle*

Thanks BEL. Which goalies impressed, or did you pay attention to them?

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
I took in tonight's first scrimmage game at the Canadian Junior Camp. Here are some general impressions:

Cogliano looked really solid. Great wheels as advertised. Scored a beauty unassisted goal on his blazing forecheck. Pretty good anticipation and passing abilities. Strikes me as more of a playmaker than scorer. Could develop into an awesome penalty killer. Downsize is size - he is smallish and wasn't very good in the faceoff circle. Two more years of college will serve him well.

Dirty rat but our dirty rat.Man is Steve Downy a nasty piece of work. Chippy, dirty, mouthy ... but this guy is full out on every shift. He leaves nothing on the ice. Solid offensive skills but prone to bad penalties. Kinda guy you love to hate. Flyers got a good player but will have to live with his hair trigger temper. Had a running battle all game with Chris Stewart. Showed this guy doesn't pick his spots.

Smooth. Toews came as advertised. Solid all around player who showed good playmaking abilities, decent shot, and strong defensive play. Looked very good in the faceoff circle.

Blue-Chip. Jordan Staal will be a star. This guy is HUGE. Looks solid in all facets of the game. Perhaps a little bit passive. But he let go a wicked, wicked wristshot that suggests a guy who will score big in the NHL.

Surprise. I really like the game of Chris Stewart. I think he will be a better player than his brother. Much more polished. Big, good speed and agility, and shows finish. Played with Toews and played very well. Impressed in my first viewing.

NHL ready. Canucks have a good one in Bourdon. Big, physical d-man who will play in all situations but likely be a d-stopper. Showed fire and a short fuse going after a Team Red player.

Kenndal McArdle also had a good, solid game. Tried to hit someone on every shift, looked solid in offensive zone.

Loved the d-pairing of Stall and Parent. Think Stall could be more physical but these are two very smart players.

i'll just add to the great post above, maybe keep some continuity for those who didn't have the opportunity. some of my musings from last nite's scrimmage...

* there is no doubt that calgary is a hockey city. one of the hottest days of summer - around +28 celius when the intrasquad started at 6pm - and the arena is 3/4 full of curious locals, scouts, puck-sluts, etc. Seemingly status quo to see some of the sutter boys hanging around the rink. kings fans should be happy to know hextall was there scouting as well. just a good atmosphere and a great hockey fix. anyways, enough name dropping...

* i agree with BEL that bourdon looks the most NHL ready of all the camp players. he played with an edge last nite, and was asserting himself like a veteran out there. really impressed with the way he can move the puck from his own zone out through the neutral ice. good, powerful skating stride and smart decisions everywhere. didn't stand out offensively, but solid in all aspects.

* you just need to watch downie once to know why bob clarke and the flyers selected him. at last year's wjc, he proved to be an aggravating, in-your-face style of player, and he basically carried that one-ice persona into last nite's scrimmage. he was taking cheap shots whenever chances arose - ie. behind the play, alongside the boards - and his intensity hit a high point when he tripped up bourdon, who wasn't particularly amused. a couple of verbal jarbs exchanged, but nothing more resulted. still, when downie frustrates teammates at an intrasquad, you know he enjoys playing the role. he suprised with some skill too. the puck followed him around the ice quite a bit, and he did demonstrate some nice chemistry with brassard.

* jordan staal: just eavesdropping around the rink, and it seemed consensus that people were expecting more from staal. i'm not sure. at the same summer evaluation camp a few years back, eric staal was not the superior player at camp...you can certainly see that the younger staal possesses the tools and mechanics of pro player. and he is huge out there. not imposing yet, but wait till he fills out. staal wasn't particularly consistent, but he demonstrated flashes throughout the game. ie. he rang a quick, hard snap shot off the crossbar from a tight spot in the slot; showed some big mans puck savvy alongside the boards down low; and used his deceptive speed to take the puck wide around defenders through the neutral zone. you can certainly see the potential, but you can tell he's certainly a few years away.

* claude giroux: stood out as one of the most pleasant suprises. nice hands, shifty and comparably decent, but not breakaway speed. demonstrated some real heady plays, and you can tell he's a more cerebral type of player. not overly huge, so he uses his hockey sense to exploit defences when the opportunities arise. an intriguing flyers pick.

*o'marra: he put up solid numbers in the o' this year, so i was expecting to see a more offensive display than was provided last nite. o'marra looks the part of an nhl prospect for sure, because he's got decent size, speed, mobility. fantastic in the face-off circle, winning almost all of his draws last nite. wasn't playing as physical as he's demonstrated at the previous wjc. he has a nose for the net, and really looks comfortable asserting himself in traffic down low. not flashy by any means, and it appears he'd be best suited to a year or two in the ahl before making the show.

* brassard: stood out offensively. speed to burn, and really shifty. made plays all over the ice, but was clearly most comfortable in the offensive zone, especially off the rush.

* cogliano: i agree with BELs assessment. cogs did for the white team what brassard did for the red. generated chances by using superior speed and solid puckmoving ability. still not sure about the overall package though.

*latendresse: for the habs fans. he played the first period, and was not seen on the ice for the remainder of the game. not sure why. perhaps the ugliest skating stride at camp. that's about the only evaluation i'll make at this point. too bad, because i was curious to see how he'd fare playing alongside downie and brassard.

*toews: again agree with BEL that toews is all about being a complete player, as advertised. he commands attention when he's on the ice, but i don't think he's an overly dynamic player from an offensive standpoint. still, you can tell he's got great anticipation, and enjoys carrying the play. i think he could show more with different linemates, but i really think he contributed to chris stewart's solid outing, as noted by BEL.

that's all the time i've got to spend on hfboards for now. hopefully i've hit on some of the top prospects people are interested in. would love to hear some other viewpoints from those in attendance...

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Still very curious how Codey Burki looked. Did he play on a line with O'Marra as expected?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad