Early line matchups for Cdn junior camp

thisyearsgirl

Apr 11, 2005
Latendresse was injured last night. I'm not sure what happened, but he came over and sat in the section of seats. I'm not sure what happened, but he came over and sat in the section of seats I was in and it looked like he was wincing as he sat down. They played McArdle on the Downie/Brassard line in his place. Riley Hozapfel has been invited to take his place.

I wasn't very impressed with Bernier. On the first goal it looked like he lost track of the puck and it ended up getting banged in off the back of his leg. The second goal he misplayed the puck badly behind the net. He got better later, but was outplayed by Price, Plante and Levasseur.

I don't know much about Levasseur, but he made some pretty impressive saves. A number of them were without a goal stick too. He pretty much grabbed Bourdon's stick out of his hands because none of the defencemen would gave him a stick.

I agree with the posters earlier that McArdle had a good game. As did Marc Staal, Toews, Cogliano, and I was surprised by Ryan Russell, I don't think he'll make the team, but I noticed him more than I thought I would.

I liked Brassard's skating again, but in the first period he was too fancy with the puck and kept trying long reach passes that was easily picked off by the white team. But he wasn't the only one on red who seemed to have that problem. The white team were better earlier in the game and that lead to the them winning. White was better at passing, shooting, defence, and Price is the best of the 4 goalies from what I can tell and that didn't hurt last night either.

I thought it was just me, but I thought I'd notice Jordan Staal or at least that he'd have more of a presense on the ice, but I hardly noticed him. I was also some what dissapointed with Ryder (especially since I'm a Flames fan) I think it was him who gave the puck away that lead to a goal. Giroux looked better than he had at practice, I noticed he's a good passer. Oh and Downie was Downie.

Last edited:

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Latendresse was injured last night. I'm not sure what happened, but he came over and sat in the section of seats I was in and it looked like he was wincing as he sat down. They played McArdle on the O'Marra/Brassard line in his place. Riley Hozapfel has been invited to take his place.

Wasn't the line Brassard, Downey and Latendresse? O'Marra was supposed to be with Burki and McArdle.

thisyearsgirl

Apr 11, 2005
Wasn't the line Brassard, Downey and Latendresse? O'Marra was supposed to be with Burki and McArdle.

When Latendresse go injured McArdle moved up to the line with Brassard and Downie for a little bit that I noticed anyway. They then moved Ryan Russell on the O'Marra/Burki line. Sorry I mixed up O'Marra and Downie.

Oh and Latendresse seems to have a concussion or concussion like symptoms according to the WHL site.

http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=4643

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
When Latendresse go injured McArdle moved up to the line with Brassard and Downie for a little bit that I noticed anyway. They then moved Ryan Russell on the O'Marra/Burki line. Sorry I mixed up O'Marra and Downie.

Oh and Latendresse seems to have a concussion or concussion like symptoms according to the WHL site.

http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=4643

How was the chemistry between McArdle and Brassard and Downie or O'Marra, whoever it was. How offensively speaking has he looked? I know he will be a great 3rd liner some day and a possible captain but im not sure on his offensive upsides.

Damn can you stay online for another couple of hours and keep asking my questions.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Regarding Cogliano - Edmonton management expressed when they drafted him that they saw him as a winger at the NHL level, which may alleviate the concerns about his lack of playmaking.

I only saw Cogliano play at the WJC last year, and he didn't impress me much, but that was just a few games.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
if anyone wants to tell me how ryan parent and cody franson have looked, I'd be much 'bliged.

well I haven't been there and haven't seen anything, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Parent looks good.

I don't think he knows how to look any other way.

Tremendous talent for you guys. I'm very jealous. ;)

I swear, if you could combine my Oilers group of young forwards and your group of young D, wow. Just wow. :bow:

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Under 18 camp watchers?

These reports are fantastic guys, please keep them coming and thanks to all!
Will any of you bird-dogs be at the Under 18 team camp?

Roger's Pancreas*

I'm loving what I'm hearing about Giroux and Downie.

They'll both work well with Carter and Umberger as long as their play making skills are up to snuff.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
How has Brad Marchand looked? I noticed he had 1 goal & 2 assists in Thursday's game, along with a goal on Wednesday. Has he stood out like his numbers show?

thisyearsgirl

Apr 11, 2005
Here is what I have from tonights game. I'm no expert on this kinda thing, but this is what I thought from watching anyway.

They reworked all the lines which made things interesting. They started out:
Red
LW C RW
J. Staal Brassard Giroux
McArdle Pyatt Bass
R.Russell O'Marra Downie
Burki Helm Holzapfel

White
LW C RW
Sheppard Cogliano Cliche
Marchand Toews Little
Bertram Ryder Stewart
Neal Azevedo Hamil

However, I don't know what happened but Downie took I think a roughing penalty and that was the last I saw of him from what I can remember. I don't think he played at all in the third period, he may have gotten hurt I'm really not sure.

The lines for team Red then became in or at least what I was able to figure out:
Giroux Pyatt Brassard
McArdle J.Staal Holzapfel
Burki Helm Bass
R.Russell O'Marra
Downie's spot was filled on a rotating basis, but Brassard played a lot more from what I could tell then any other player.

From what I could tell the White lines stayed the same throughout the game.

The line changing for both teams had mixed results I thought.
Toews was very good tonight. He and Marchand seem to have good chemistry going, smooth passing good give and go. Little benefitted from being on the line too as I thought he looked much better than in game #1.

It is very clear that O'Marra is the leader on team red, I'd say Bertram to a slightly lesser extent seemed to be the leader on team white.

With the goalies Price and Levasseur again were the most consitent I'd say. You can tell Price is the better of the 4. His play shows his confidence. He was the best puck handler of the goalies not afraid to retreive pucks in the corners, good laterally, just confident. I still have yet to see why Bernier was the top goalie in the draft, he's not been very good with handling the puck especially behind the net, not sure if that's normal for him or not. He played better tonight then game one, but I'm I expected him to be better.

After the line switch on team Red, I though McArdle and J.Staal worked well together. Earlier I saw Staal get knocked off the puck rather easily on at least two occasions, seemed he found his step a bit more while playing with McArdle. McArdle had a good game. I also thought Pyatt and Brassard were a good fit together.

Giroux made a couple of nice set ups on his line. They didn't necessarily lead to goals, but he's a good passer/set up guy.

I thought Vlasic, Franson, M.Staal, Bourdon and K.Russell were good on defence and had strong games. Franson stepped up his play a lot. With McNeil can someone tell me if hes more of a defensive defencemen or is he known for being more like Kris Russell type? Just curious cause when I did notice him was when he jumped up into the play.

That was some of the better things that I noticed. The not so good was with the line changes I think Bertram's game suffered. He didn't look so good out there. Cogliano was decent, but I think overall both of them along with Sheppard were better when they played together.

With Plante the goals he let in weren't terrible goals on his part, not great either, but I noticed that he didn't get frustrated after them. He did look like he was getting a frustrated with players in his crease, especially after he got run over pretty good.

Another question. What's the deal with Chris Stewart? I guess I thought with his size he'd be more physical. Yet Ryan Russell I thought was far more physical than Chris Stewart in both games and there is a 60+ pound difference in weight between the two.

Overall the red team seems prone to slow starts, at least in these two games. They don't really show anything until the third period when its too late to make up any ground. Until the third they didn't have more than 20 shots whereas the White team was 10-12 shots ahead, until the third.

I tried to notice as much as I could. I didn't notice anything much from the likes of Burki, Helm, Holzapfel, etc. Like I said I am by no means good at this kinda thing.

I will be at tomorrows game. As for the U18 camp I can't go to two of the intersquad games, but I'll be at the game on Aug 1st I think. Hopefully I can make it to one of their practices as well.

Roman Tanner

Aug 5, 2005
Mgmt. Excuseville
How has Brad Marchand looked? I noticed he had 1 goal & 2 assists in Thursday's game, along with a goal on Wednesday. Has he stood out like his numbers show?

I was very impressed with Marchand tonite. Granted he was playing with the best player on the ice but he fit right in with Toews. He's got some edge to his game to. Doesn't back down...Definitely impressed me.

Roman Tanner

Aug 5, 2005
Mgmt. Excuseville
Another question. What's the deal with Chris Stewart? I guess I thought with his size he'd be more physical. Yet Ryan Russell I thought was far more physical than Chris Stewart in both games and there is a 60+ pound difference in weight between the two.

I agree with you. I was going to watch Stewart and Burki and while I thought Stewart had moments when he was flying (no kidding, I didn't realize he was that fast), there were other times that he should have been more physical. If he starts hitting people, look out.

Burki didn't show much, but his icetime seemed cut down (that whole line was largely invisible), and I think he'll have difficulty making the team.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Here is what I have from tonights game. I'm no expert on this kinda thing, but this is what I thought from watching anyway.

They reworked all the lines which made things interesting. They started out:
Red
LW C RW
J. Staal Brassard Giroux
McArdle Pyatt Bass
R.Russell O'Marra Downie
Burki Helm Holzapfel

White
LW C RW
Sheppard Cogliano Cliche
Marchand Toews Little
Bertram Ryder Stewart
Neal Azevedo Hamil

However, I don't know what happened but Downie took I think a roughing penalty and that was the last I saw of him from what I can remember. I don't think he played at all in the third period, he may have gotten hurt I'm really not sure.

The lines for team Red then became in or at least what I was able to figure out:
Giroux Pyatt Brassard
McArdle J.Staal Holzapfel
Burki Helm Bass
R.Russell O'Marra
Downie's spot was filled on a rotating basis, but Brassard played a lot more from what I could tell then any other player.

From what I could tell the White lines stayed the same throughout the game.

The line changing for both teams had mixed results I thought.
Toews was very good tonight. He and Marchand seem to have good chemistry going, smooth passing good give and go. Little benefitted from being on the line too as I thought he looked much better than in game #1.

It is very clear that O'Marra is the leader on team red, I'd say Bertram to a slightly lesser extent seemed to be the leader on team white.

With the goalies Price and Levasseur again were the most consitent I'd say. You can tell Price is the better of the 4. His play shows his confidence. He was the best puck handler of the goalies not afraid to retreive pucks in the corners, good laterally, just confident. I still have yet to see why Bernier was the top goalie in the draft, he's not been very good with handling the puck especially behind the net, not sure if that's normal for him or not. He played better tonight then game one, but I'm I expected him to be better.

After the line switch on team Red, I though McArdle and J.Staal worked well together. Earlier I saw Staal get knocked off the puck rather easily on at least two occasions, seemed he found his step a bit more while playing with McArdle. McArdle had a good game. I also thought Pyatt and Brassard were a good fit together.

Giroux made a couple of nice set ups on his line. They didn't necessarily lead to goals, but he's a good passer/set up guy.

I thought Vlasic, Franson, M.Staal, Bourdon and K.Russell were good on defence and had strong games. Franson stepped up his play a lot. With McNeil can someone tell me if hes more of a defensive defencemen or is he known for being more like Kris Russell type? Just curious cause when I did notice him was when he jumped up into the play.

That was some of the better things that I noticed. The not so good was with the line changes I think Bertram's game suffered. He didn't look so good out there. Cogliano was decent, but I think overall both of them along with Sheppard were better when they played together.

With Plante the goals he let in weren't terrible goals on his part, not great either, but I noticed that he didn't get frustrated after them. He did look like he was getting a frustrated with players in his crease, especially after he got run over pretty good.

Overall the red team seems prone to slow starts, at least in these two games. They don't really show anything until the third period when its too late to make up any ground. Until the third they didn't have more than 20 shots whereas the White team was 10-12 shots ahead, until the third.

I tried to notice as much as I could. I didn't notice anything much from the likes of Burki, Helm, Holzapfel, etc. Like I said I am by no means good at this kinda thing.

I will be at tomorrows game. As for the U18 camp I can't go to two of the intersquad games, but I'll be at the game on Aug 1st I think. Hopefully I can make it to one of their practices as well.

Thanks for the update, quick question, it seems Ryan Russell has been playing pretty well, do you think he has a decent chance of making the team? (he was a longshot from the start). You can wait till after tomorrows games if you want. Also how about Cliche? I see he was put on the 1st line, seems promising. Thanks again.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Game two of the Junior Camp was a bit of a yawner. Team White put a strangle hold on the game and dominated for two periods. A weak goal by their tender Carey Price made it somewhat interesting.

Some general ramblings about tonight:

- Leland Irving IS Napoleon Dynamite. He stood near me much of the game and I was freaked out by how nerdy this newest Flamer appears. In fairness, he seems like a very nice, respectful kid. But hey, he's a Flamer prospect.

Best three players on the night: Bourdon, Toews, and Cogliano.

Bourdon is a beast. Showed skill and ability in all facets of the game. Tough, physical, some snarl and aggression, and good puck moving abilities. This guy is going to be a stud on the Canuckles blueline. Best player on the ice, imo.

Toews is a professional. Great all around abilities. Consistent. Was very good in the face off dot and make his line go. Really liked him tonight.

Cogliano. He is so fast. Super on the forecheck catching wandering goalies with his blazing speed. Was very impressed that he went into greasy spots to battle for the puck. Liked his pluck even though undersized. Showed great vision with a perfect feed that led to a tap in goal. I see an absolute elite penalty killer in his NHL future. The guys a keeper. Weakness is in the faceoff dot. Maybe one one draw tonight.

Talked last night about the Predators wealth of young d-men. Add another one that I overlooked, 6'5" 204 pound Cody Franson. This guy was a physical presence tonight and displayed good mobility and puck movement. Note to Nashville management, hey buddy can ya spare a d-man?

Don't know much about Brad Marchand but this Boston pick has a pretty good night with lots of hussle. Stall was pretty much a passive empty sweater but you can see the flashes of greatness. His size and somewhat lanky frame reminds me a bit of Jeff Carter... Derek Brassard (and Team Red in general) didn't do much but he has a very high skill level.

Poor performer of the night was Steve Downie. Little physical play and offense just bad penalties. Stoll and Parent didn't have their best games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad