Early Conn Smythe company

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The only two teams with a clear standout candidates are LVK and Caps.

There is so much bullshit in this sentence I need to go change my entire outfit.

Guentzel - 21 points (10 goals) in 10 games. +12
Crosby - 19 points in 10 games. +9
Pastrnak - 19 points in 10 games.

Caps don't have anyone who would remotely come close to the top 5 right now. Their leading scorers have 13 points (AO and Backstrom) and both have greatly relied on the PP to get those points. Holtby saved them in the 1st round but he's behind 2-3 goalies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
There is so much bull**** in this sentence I need to go change my entire outfit.

Caps don't have anyone who would remotely come close to the top 5 right now. Their leading scorers have 13 points (AO and Backstrom) and both have greatly relied on the PP to get those points. Holtby saved them in the 1st round but he's behind 2-3 goalies.

He meant those 2 are the teams with guys who are obvious picks at the moment(for their team), while other teams its more clouded.

At least I hope thats what he meant. I know hes a Pens/Crosby hater...but nobody could be that ridiculous.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
On the eye test for the teams left:
Preds-PK
Jets-Schlifle (sp?)
Knights-Flower
Sharks-Jones
Boston-Pasta
Bolts-Hedman? No one has really stood out above the rest. A lot of great play from them
Caps-Ovi
Pens-Crosby

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
If you look at the box score: Guentzel

If you watch the actual game: Crosby

I'd have them as 1A / 1B for the Pens at this point, up to personal preference. Crosby drives the play more, but Guentzel is more directly involved with the goals. The way these two get deflections, it's a bit up to chance, and so far, Guentzel has gotten a bit more luck on his deflections than Crosby.

Interesting stat we noticed on the Pens board: Crosby has been on the ice for all Pens goals this series. I think that's up to ten in a row. I wonder what the record is, or if it's even tracked?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
If you look at the box score: Guentzel

If you watch the actual game: Crosby
Do YOU actually watch the game or are you just assuming that?

Not taking anything away from Sid cause he has been plying out of his mind, but Jake is helping Sid A LOT.

Reactions: Future GOAT

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Do YOU actually watch the game or are you just assuming that?

Not taking anything away from Sid cause he has been plying out of his mind, but Jake is helping Sid A LOT.

I never said anything disrespectful about Guentzel. He's been amazing.

Crosby has simply been better in my opinion. Flying all over the ice and making great plays everywhere. Hell he should be one point behind considering Sheahan missed an empty net from 20 feet away. Points are very meaningful, but Crosby is the fire behind the Pens thus far.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The only two teams with a clear standout candidates are LVK and Caps.

Is that because you think the other teams have more than one candidate?

Otherwise, this is a bad post.

I'd give it to Sid the kid again if he continues his play. Guentzel has been great, but Crosby has been better. Jake has had some really bad penalties and doesn't drive the play like Crosby.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Is that because you think the other teams have more than one candidate?

Otherwise, this is a bad post.

I'd give it to Sid the kid again if he continues his play. Guentzel has been great, but Crosby has been better. Jake has had some really bad penalties and doesn't drive the play like Crosby.

I wouldn't worry about that. With recent history (Kessel), Crosby is going to get it guaranteed if Pens win.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
He meant those 2 are the teams with guys who are obvious picks at the moment(for their team), while other teams its more clouded.

At least I hope thats what he meant. I know hes a Pens/Crosby hater...but nobody could be that ridiculous.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

I don't hate Crosby or Pens, but I do currently hate their fans.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
There is so much bull**** in this sentence I need to go change my entire outfit.

You need to change your outfit because you are a baby. That's not what I meant at all. See my post above.

beir32

Feb 1, 2010
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

I don't hate Crosby or Pens, but I do currently hate their fans.

I guess I'll stop knitting that "Best Buddies" sweater I've been working so hard to make for you. I had to send away for a kit and take classes and everything. :(

Reactions: Crosbyfan

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You need to change your outfit because you are a baby. That's not what I meant at all. See my post above.

I'm a baby? I think your reasoning skills put you in that category sir.

Apparently you think the Caps have a clear front runner (I'm assuming Ovechkin) yet outside of a few games he's been rather invisible. Not out in front of the points race on his own team. Doesn't play D. Doesn't take face offs. Typical production from him. Half his points are on the PP. Stay out of the box and you greatly limit the Caps and Ovechkin in particular. Plus his line is bleeding goals right now. Wash, rinse, repeat.

You also must not be watching much Winnipeg because Byfuglien is easily the front runner for them so far. Other than Fleury, he's probably the easiest Smythe player to pick out from any team I've watched. Guy has been an absolute stud at both ends.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Why do we need to do this now? There is a 0% chance anyone not in the SCF wins it. And 75% of the teams remaining won't get that far.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Too early to tell, but if they have a "reverse Conn Smythe" for dumbest or least valuable contribution, and the Pens win this Caps series, im totally voting Tom Wilson...

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I'm a baby? I think your reasoning skills put you in that category sir.

Apparently you think the Caps have a clear front runner (I'm assuming Ovechkin) yet outside of a few games he's been rather invisible. Not out in front of the points race on his own team. Doesn't play D. Doesn't take face offs. Typical production from him. Half his points are on the PP. Stay out of the box and you greatly limit the Caps and Ovechkin in particular. Plus his line is bleeding goals right now. Wash, rinse, repeat.

You also must not be watching much Winnipeg because Byfuglien is easily the front runner for them so far. Other than Fleury, he's probably the easiest Smythe player to pick out from any team I've watched. Guy has been an absolute stud at both ends.
1. Scoring wingers are not typically expected to take faceoffs and be elite two-way force. Just like defensemen are not expected to lead their team in points.

2. Whatever Ovy's shortcomings are, he is a clear cut MVP of his team in this playoffs. Same as MAF in LV. All other teams have more than one such player. Even Winnipeg, where Scheifelle is pretty on par with Biff.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad