HF Habs: Early Bird Mock Draft 2022 (COMPLETED!)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The Calgary Flames are proud to select from Metallurg Zhlobin forward Alexander Suvorov...

Please post your draft.

Thanks for playing

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Tampa Bay Lightning is proud to select, from the Prince George Cougars in the WHL, RHD Josef Viliam Kmec.

Big, strong right-handed defensive dman who plays physical and has decent mobility, great frame to build on, and has some offensive potential.

This is my last pick, I'll post the whole draft when I come back home.

@Vachon23 is next.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm gonna go with a pure personal choice here, since where at the end of the 7th round and it's for fun

Toronto Maple Leafs (I would prefer to select him with an other team but no choice here) are proud to select from the Victoriaville Tigers RW Maxime Pellerin

Really good 200 ft game and he's really good to win puck battle in the corners with great strength in his upper body. He posses a great shoot that make him a trait on the PP and get underrated hands. Can play a power game as much as skill game and he's a really good kid, 95 % average in the classroom. His act like a real professional already and work extremely hard during the summer to elevate his game. He had a really good progression this year and he's caring the team since Christmas.

Pittsburgh
24: Kevin Korchinski
120: Raul Yakupov
152: Pier-Olivier Roy
184: Samuel Savoie
216: Owen Van Steensel

Toronto
29 : Lian Bichsel
78: Matthew Seminoff
221: Maxime Pellerin

I got players I really wanted, but I've lost a lot of players I really wanted. I would give me a B for that draft but I'm still happy.

Thanks @MarkovsKnee for hosting this draft, you could't do a better job and it was a pleasure !

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm gonna go with a pure personal choice here, since where at the end of the 7th round and it's for fun

Toronto Maple Leafs (I would prefer to select him with an other team but no choice here) are proud to select from the Victoriaville Tigers RW Maxime Pellerin

Really good 200 ft game and he's really good to win puck battle in the corners with great strength in his upper body. He posses a great shoot that make him a trait on the PP and get underrated hands. Can play a power game as much as skill game and he's a really good kid, 95 % average in the classroom. His act like a real professional already and work extremely hard during the summer to elevate his game. He had a really good progression this year and he's caring the team since Christmas.

Pittsburgh
24: Kevin Korchinski
120: Raul Yakupov
152: Pier-Olivier Roy
184: Samuel Savoie
216: Owen Van Steensel

Toronto
29 : Lian Bichsel
78: Matthew Seminoff
221: Maxime Pellerin

I got players I really wanted, but I've lost a lot of players I really wanted. I would give me a B for that draft but I'm still happy.

Thanks @MarkovsKnee for hosting this draft, you could't do a better job and it was a pleasure !

Thanks for playing!

Reactions: Vachon23

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Florida Draft:

3. Nicholas Moldenhauer (W) - USHL
4. Kocha Delic (C) - OHL
5. Cedric Guindon (C) - OHL
6. Adam Engstrom (LD) - J20 Nationell
6. Nils Bolin (W) - J20 Nationell
7. Dennis Good Bogg (LD) - J20 Nationell

Just realized final 3 picks are all Swedes.

No 1st. No 2nd. Only late picks for Fla.

Reactions: Goldenhands

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Florida Draft:

3. Nicholas Moldenhauer (W) - USHL
4. Kocha Delic (C) - OHL
5. Cedric Guindon (C) - OHL
6. Adam Engstrom (LD) - J20 Nationell
6. Nils Bolin (W) - J20 Nationell
7. Dennis Good Bogg (LD) - J20 Nationell

Just realized final 3 picks are all Swedes.

No 1st. No 2nd. Only late picks for Fla.
Well you drafted a good Bogg and not a bad one. Impressive.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Mr. Irrelevant is none other than future Norris winner, a true Adam Fox/Cale Makar hybrid:

Charlie Leddy
RD
NTDP

HM to James Stefan, Vinny Borgesi, Jared Davidson, and whoever WTK's sleeper is.

Colorado draft:

3, 96) Devin Kaplan, RW
5, 160) Maddox Fleming, C/RW
6, 192) Tyson Dyck, C
7, 224) Charlie Leddy, RD

Dartboard for Colorado. I think Leddy likely has the best shot at playing in the NHL of that motley crew.

@MarkovsKnee - you are greatly appreciated. Thanks for running this!

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That's it, guys!

Draft over!

It started April 10th. Completed April 28th.
We completed a 7 round draft in 2-and-half weeks! :eek3: Unreal!

We made 224 picks in 19 days. That's an average of 11-12 picks per day. Or, half a round per day. WOW! :wave:

Anyway, don't forget to check back on your draft once the real draft is completed. See who got a steal (5th rounder taken in 2nd) or over drafted, or didn't get drafted all.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Perfect Mock.

Anaheim: @bcv
Arizona: @WeThreeKings
Boston: @Pompeius Magnus
Buffalo: @NotProkofievian
Calgary/St. Louis: @Weber Fan
Carolina: @David Suzuki
Chicago: @Schooner Guy
Colorado/Nashville: @covfefe
Columbus: @WinterLion
Dallas: @Hope Of Glory
Detroit: @Habs76
Edmonton/Vegas: @CristianoRonaldo
Florida: @MarkovsKnee
Los Angeles: @Goldenhands
Minnesota: @JeffreyLFC
Montreal: @bopeep
New Jersey: @KevSkillz4
NYI/NYR: @calder candidate
Ottawa: @Treb
Philadelphia: @le_sean
Pittburgh/Toronto: @Vachon23
San Jose: @Toene
Seattle: @SOLR
Tampa Bay: @L4br3cqu3
Vancouver: @Stive Morgan
Washington: @Duff88
Winnipeg: @zaluty

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That's it, guys!

Draft over!

It started April 10th. Completed April 28th.
We completed a 7 round draft in 2-and-half weeks! :eek3: Unreal!

We made 224 picks in 19 days. That's an average of 11-12 picks per day. Or, half a round per day. WOW! :wave:

Anyway, don't forget to check back on your draft once the real draft is completed. See who got a steal (5th rounder taken in 2nd) or over drafted, or didn't get drafted all.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Perfect Mock.

Anaheim: @bcv
Arizona: @WeThreeKings
Boston: @Pompeius Magnus
Buffalo: @NotProkofievian
Calgary/St. Louis: @Weber Fan
Carolina: @David Suzuki
Chicago: @Schooner Guy
Colorado/Nashville: @covfefe
Columbus: @WinterLion
Dallas: @Hope Of Glory
Detroit: @Habs76
Edmonton/Vegas: @CristianoRonaldo
Florida: @MarkovsKnee
Los Angeles: @Goldenhands
Minnesota: @JeffreyLFC
Montreal: @bopeep
New Jersey: @KevSkillz4
NYI/NYR: @calder candidate
Ottawa: @Treb
Philadelphia: @le_sean
Pittburgh/Toronto: @Vachon23
San Jose: @Toene
Seattle: @SOLR
Tampa Bay: @L4br3cqu3
Vancouver: @Stive Morgan
Washington: @Duff88
Winnipeg: @zaluty
And thank you once again for your hard work :thumbu:

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
2022 Tampa Bay Lightning draft.

25. F Marco Kasper
103. F Reid Schaefer
153. F Beau Jelsma
169. LHD Alexander Pelevin
185. F Brody Crane
217. LHD Seamus Powell
220. RHD Josef Viliam Kmec

Was surprised at first to see that Tampa still had their 1st pick this year, then surprised to see they had 4 picks in the last 2 rounds and that I'd have to dig a bit more than I expected to have something 'presentable', even though I also expect to have some undrafted among the lot.

Also, well before each draft I take a look at the depth of the team I get and try to go accordingly, I try to follow various rankings but I also go by perceived needs, except in the 1st where I try to go BPA.

Kasper, thought he would potentially fit like a glove with Tampa if and when he develops, I don't see a huge offensive upside but rather a very well-rounded, middle-6 2-way PF down the road. Love that pick, plays hard and aggravates opponents with his relentless forechecking.

Schaefer is one of the few 'pure' powerforwards in the draft, of course needs to work on a couple of things but top-9 upside is there. Plays physical, creates space for his teammates, scored 32 goals in the regular season, plays on a good team but isn't a passenger.

Jelsma and Crane could become 2-way forwards down the road, Jelsma is great defensively and has some untapped offensive potential, he's the definition of a jack-of-all-trades and can lineup as a center or at wing with equal ease. Crane is burrowed on a stacked London Knights team but is doing his best to contribute, more physical than Jelsma but will have to produce next season.

Pelevin is a pure gamble, a high-risk/high-reward type of prospect, great skater, loves rushing the puck and has great vision, but is way too aggressive at times, takes way too many risks and is very undisciplined. Also didn't produce too much given his tools. If he works on the mental side of what he is, he could reap rewards.

Seamus Powell, brother of Lightning's own Eamon, is similar in style, a fleet-footed 2-way rearguard who plays well in his own zone, has a good 1st pass and can move the puck up ice, but will have to way more assertive in that department to get to the next levels.

Josef Viliam Kmec, hesitated quite a bit before choosing him, cause surprisingly enough, had 5 others who I thought were interesting at that point. But Kmec is a big right-handed, defensive D, very physical and pretty assertive in his own zone, could also have some untapped offensive potential, but not sure it's in his mindset, will still have to find a way to produce a bit cause even defensive dmen who doesn't put up points rarely pan out.

Overall, I like my draft, not the most skilled bunch out there, but mostly building blocks to solidify a team filled with star players, mostly in support roles. Kasper, Schaefer and Pelevin may be the only ones with more to give, with Pelevin being a very risky one. Time will tell ! (wouldn't mind one bit if our Habs did draft Kasper and/or Schaefer)

Thanks a lot to everybody involved, was a very fun draft, pace was seriously great, one of the fastest one I've seen in a long time.

Most of all, thanks to @MarkovsKnee for that expertly hosted mock draft, you did really, really well !

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
2022 Tampa Bay Lightning draft.

25. F Marco Kasper
103. F Reid Schaefer
153. F Beau Jelsma
169. LHD Alexander Pelevin
185. F Brody Crane
217. LHD Seamus Powell
220. RHD Josef Viliam Kmec

Was surprised at first to see that Tampa still had their 1st pick this year, then surprised to see they had 4 picks in the last 2 rounds and that I'd have to dig a bit more than I expected to have something 'presentable', even though I also expect to have some undrafted among the lot.

Also, well before each draft I take a look at the depth of the team I get and try to go accordingly, I try to follow various rankings but I also go by perceived needs, except in the 1st where I try to go BPA.

Kasper, thought he would potentially fit like a glove with Tampa if and when he develops, I don't see a huge offensive upside but rather a very well-rounded, middle-6 2-way PF down the road. Love that pick, plays hard and aggravates opponents with his relentless forechecking.

Schaefer is one of the few 'pure' powerforwards in the draft, of course needs to work on a couple of things but top-9 upside is there. Plays physical, creates space for his teammates, scored 32 goals in the regular season, plays on a good team but isn't a passenger.

Jelsma and Crane could become 2-way forwards down the road, Jelsma is great defensively and has some untapped offensive potential, he's the definition of a jack-of-all-trades and can lineup as a center or at wing with equal ease. Crane is burrowed on a stacked London Knights team but is doing his best to contribute, more physical than Jelsma but will have to produce next season.

Pelevin is a pure gamble, a high-risk/high-reward type of prospect, great skater, loves rushing the puck and has great vision, but is way too aggressive at times, takes way too many risks and is very undisciplined. Also didn't produce too much given his tools. If he works on the mental side of what he is, he could reap rewards.

Seamus Powell, brother of Lightning's own Eamon, is similar in style, a fleet-footed 2-way rearguard who plays well in his own zone, has a good 1st pass and can move the puck up ice, but will have to way more assertive in that department to get to the next levels.

Josef Viliam Kmec, hesitated quite a bit before choosing him, cause surprisingly enough, had 5 others who I thought were interesting at that point. But Kmec is a big right-handed, defensive D, very physical and pretty assertive in his own zone, could also have some untapped offensive potential, but not sure it's in his mindset, will still have to find a way to produce a bit cause even defensive dmen who doesn't put up points rarely pan out.

Overall, I like my draft, not the most skilled bunch out there, but mostly building blocks to solidify a team filled with star players, mostly in support roles. Kasper, Schaefer and Pelevin may be the only ones with more to give, with Pelevin being a very risky one. Time will tell ! (wouldn't mind one bit if our Habs did draft Kasper and/or Schaefer)

Thanks a lot to everybody involved, was a very fun draft, pace was seriously great, one of the fastest one I've seen in a long time.

Most of all, thanks to @MarkovsKnee for that expertly hosted mock draft, you did really, really well !
Great write up!

Tampa will find a way to add to their prospect system in this draft. They gave up their 2023 & 2024 1st round picks in Hagel trade.

They'll get someone good with their 1st pick and probably one more with their other picks.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The Chicago Blackhawks would like to announce that the following players have accepted invitations to our prospect development camp:

Nolan Lalonde - G - Erie - OHL
Thomas Milic - G - Seattle - WHL
Jackson Edward - LD - London - OHL
Kirll Steklov - LD - London - OHL
Grayden Siepmann - RD - Calgary - OHL
Marek Hejduk - RW - USA-NTDP
Colton Smith - LW - London - OHL
Connor Hvidston - RW - Swift Current - OHL

:naughty:

Thanks a million @MarkovsKnee for coordinating this mock draft! It was fun.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Im surprised no one took a chance on Matthew Morden in the last 2 rounds. Big mobile defenseman with interesting raw tools.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The Chicago Blackhawks would like to announce that the following players have accepted invitations to our prospect development camp:

Nolan Lalonde - G - Erie - OHL
Thomas Milic - G - Seattle - WHL
Jackson Edward - LD - London - OHL
Kirll Steklov - LD - London - OHL
Grayden Siepmann - RD - Calgary - OHL
Marek Hejduk - RW - USA-NTDP
Colton Smith - LW - London - OHL
Connor Hvidston - RW - Swift Current - OHL

:naughty:

Thanks a million @MarkovsKnee for coordinating this mock draft! It was fun.
Steklov will definitely get a camp invite and get signed by someone.

Hvidston will get drafted. He had a good rookie season with Swift Current and was actually good for Canada U18.

A lot of Russians in this draft.

Theo Keilin also wasn't drafted. I was debating between him and Good Bogg with my last pick. I went with Good Bogg because he made U18 team, big, aggressive D.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad