OT: EA Sports Reveals Top 5 RW Ratings for NHL 15, Kessel #3

Jacob8hockey*

In what universe is Kessel's shot blocking and body checking an 80?

Also, having his slap show power be higher than his wrist power is...odd.

If you compare the body checking with other players its directly reflective of the size of the player. I don't understand the shot blocking but if I had to guess it is so he doesn't get injured in game as frequently as a CHL player.

If I had to re-work the body checking attribute I would do something like this:

A combination of Balance, Height, Weight, and Strength along with the option of never, rarely, occasionally, and often (similar to the how often the player fights).

Most players in the NHL can hit its just more of how often are they going too. The body checking stat isn't really fair because Kessel can dish out a better hit than 90% of junior players but if he has too low of a rating he will have the hitting ability of a CHL player.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
If you compare the body checking with other players its directly reflective of the size of the player. I don't understand the shot blocking but if I had to guess it is so he doesn't get injured in game as frequently as a CHL player.

If I had to re-work the body checking attribute I would do something like this:

A combination of Balance, Height, Weight, and Strength along with the option of never, rarely, occasionally, and often (similar to the how often the player fights).

Most players in the NHL can hit its just more of how often are they going too. The body checking stat isn't really fair because Kessel can dish out a better hit than 90% of junior players but if he has too low of a rating he will have the hitting ability of a CHL player.

There are definitely some CHL players who are better at hitting than Phil Kessel, and I can't think of the last time I actually saw him throw a body check. So what's wrong with giving him a low score?

Jacob8hockey*

There are definitely some CHL players who are better at hitting than Phil Kessel, and I can't think of the last time I actually saw him throw a body check. So what's wrong with giving him a low score?

Because there is a difference between being able to throw a hit and actually throwing them.

Thats the main reason why I feel the system is broken and I think the system should be how I said earlier in the post.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
In what universe is Kessel's shot blocking and body checking an 80?

Also, having his slap show power be higher than his wrist power is...odd.

I don't know what the ratings are, but on nhl14 I can never score with a slapper from Kessel. Always the wrister (one of the easiest players to score with currently). I don't think I could ever win a game without him.

If anybody ever wants a 1 vs 1 online game on ps3, hit me up my handle is the same on ps3 as it is here.
I'm pretty average, just a lvl 52.

ShortSideFlick

Nov 2, 2011
FIFA is really good, but NHL is right there if not just a step below. Since 09 it's been a pretty great game of hockey, though I stay away from the EASHL because people just exploit there.

I like playing a challenging CPU and 14 has that and is more fun than 13 to boot.

FIFA and NHL are probably the two games/series I've played most. I guess it depends what game mode you spend most of your playing time in when judging the game. I play GM mode in both unless I'm playing with a friend, and I can say without hesitation FIFA is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than NHL when it comes to GM modes. Well, I prefer NHL because I'm a hockey nut, but FIFA is just a better quality product.

I didn't buy NHL 14 (maybe they changed this?) but in NHL if you are looking for players with a specific skillset you can only search out players by going through each team, then sorting through the names, and then either scrolling way over or selecting the player's full profile screen to see stats. It's an enormous pain in the ass. In FIFA, you can simply enter your search parameters and it shows you every player that matches your criteria regardless of team. If NHL applied FIFA's method for searching (which really shouldn't be difficult to do) I could easily find fighters that can actually play, or prospect D that are huge, rate well in hitting, AND can skate. This is extremely difficult in NHL games. I know most current players, but when you factor in often wonky player stats, or you are several years into GM mode and it's a bunch of randomly generated prospect names filling out rosters it becomes ridiculously tedious trying to find what you are looking to acquire.

I also have had bugs in NHL, but never FIFA. I had a GM mode I'd been working on for like 9 months basically ruined by a bug. Several years into a GM mode if I loaded a saved game after the prospect pool for the draft was generated (i.e. if I didn't spend an entire day playing non-stop to finish the season in one go lol), ALL the prospects sucked after being drafted. Like, not one player with more than 2.5 star potential. After multiple seasons in a row where this happened I tested simming the whole season in a continuous session, saving but not loading after the prospect pool was generated. The top prospects had a few high end guys, as should be expected. Loading the save (same names/prospect pool that ended up with multiple high potential guys before) and simming to the draft, all players had 2.5 star potential or less again. Basically broke the game for me since no quality players could be drafted to replace declining players anymore unless I decided to waste a season by simming every game to get through it in one session. Never had bugs playing in FIFA... And of course the in game AI is far better in FIFA.

Shwaguy*

I would absolutely LOVE if the EA NHL series were to diversify their player ratings more a la NBA 2K series does with Player Tendencies

Like how likely are they to take a shot from a certain part of the zone vs How likely to pass

How likely to take a slapper instead of a wrister

How likely to One time

How likely to Hustle Back on Backcheck

How heavy a forechecker they are

Play the puck or the Man (Or play physical D vs Sticklifting D I guess) etc...

This would help diversify a lot of the more dynamic players, like Phil, who's player type is listed as Sniper, but he also looks to set up his teammates a lot, making him more of a hybrid playmaker/sniper. Getzlaf as a playmaker/power forward is another example. You could also have a tendency that determines how likely they are to try and rush end to end or send it back to their dman to set it up. Or whether a Dman is likely to ring the puck along the boards or make the riskier play and carry it up himself.

And something along the lines of Signature Skills/Player Traits from the 2K series as well. I know this can sound a little more cheesy/video game like at first but it actually helps a lot with immersion because it differentiates the players a bit more and makes them feel more unique.

A player could have up to 5 (The only ones with all 5 are the super stars though)

Some examples could be

Finesse Stick Checker - Player excels at stick checking, pokes and stick lifts are 10% more accurate and -10% chance of causing a tripping/slashing penalty (You could even balance them out if you want by giving a small penalty to physicality stats like checking and Aggresion

Bone Crusher - Self Explainatory

Pest - Less likely to have a missed call on him (They've happened in my experience)/More likely to draw penalty - This one would probably be a no go

Rusher - Bonus to Speed/Puck Skills for as long as you have the puck if carrying the puck past your blueline ( or maybe center ice as balance, but you have to have left from your D-zone) (Doughty/Kessel/Karlsson/ and the like

Stay Home D - Pretty much to oppose rusher. Dman get's a boost in defensive stats when the opponent is on the rush

Shutdown D - Neutralizes any player within a certain vicinity's Sig Skills

Puck Protector - Better chance of Protecting the Puck when using "Protect Puck" button or having the puck along the boards (If they ever bother improving board play in the game lol -ie Jagr

Flashy Passer - Makes Flashy Passes (Crosby)

2way forward -

Garbage Man - In front of net skills etc

Workhorse - Reduced Stamina Penalties late in the game or Something

Energy guy perk (These are just ideas some might not be the best idea

Forechecker/Puck Moving Dman etc. You get the picture.

I know some of you will say it's too arcade like. But it'd definitely help with immersion and help you feel like the players you use are more similar to the players you use in real life.

The key is they can't go handing out the perks/traits to every player, only the ones who are elite at what the perks give boosts too (Like Kessel would be the only Leafs player deserving of 5 probably, but even then that depends if there are 5 perks he'd be elite at then guys like JvR/Dion/Bozak/Kadri/Gards/Rielly/Bernier would all probably get somewhere between 1-4, and that's it.

And the traits would have to be balanced and not give too big of a bonus obviously.

MilanKraft*

Horrible ratings in these games.

Toews 93.... top 2 in the game...

More like a 74..

Crappy ratings, 50 players rated 89 or higher..

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Kessel got an 80 rating for body checking? I'm not sure i've even seen him throw a check in his career.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Kessel got an 80 rating for body checking? I'm not sure i've even seen him throw a check in his career.

kesselchara.gif

Decked Chara... Guess that's enough for an 80 :laugh:

The game itself is ****ing horrible. No drafting in Be A GM, no simming between dhifts in Be A Pro... absolutely inexcusable, EA.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
FIFA is really good, but NHL is right there if not just a step below. Since 09 it's been a pretty great game of hockey, though I stay away from the EASHL because people just exploit there.

I like playing a challenging CPU and 14 has that and is more fun than 13 to boot.

Only way to limit the cheese in EASHL is if you play 6s. You can still exploit just as easily in GMC, HUT or regular online versus.

Same goes for FIFA too. Cpu goalies/GKs are just never as effective.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
kesselchara.gif

Decked Chara... Guess that's enough for an 80 :laugh:

The game itself is ****ing horrible. No drafting in Be A GM, no simming between dhifts in Be A Pro... absolutely inexcusable, EA.

Yup, plus no editing players overalls. Ridiculous, I'll wait till patches come out and price drops to pick this up.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
https://twitter.com/Ratingsleak/status/507416992027275264/photo/1

https://twitter.com/Ratingsleak/status/507542899387797504/photo/1

Some interesting ratings to say the least. Bozak and JVR both 87 OVR with elite potential... One does not look like the other....

Also, Clarkson 85? C'mon man.

Hoping that 84 Santorelli got is realistic, but I'm having my doubts.

Also, can't imagine Kontiola is as poor as his rating... Haha

Assuming potential is similar to before, Bozak at 28 years of age is pretty much maxed at 87 with a + or - attached due to performance/random base. JVR on the other hand can still see a raise in his overall. And with Kontiola, well, EA usually never bumps overseas players until they prove something at the NHL level.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Assuming potential is similar to before, Bozak at 28 years of age is pretty much maxed at 87 with a + or - attached due to performance/random base. JVR on the other hand can still see a raise in his overall. And with Kontiola, well, EA usually never bumps overseas players until they prove something at the NHL level.

It say's his potential on the right hand side. It is "elite"

Other Leaf's who have "elite" potential: JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Kessel

As for Kontiola, that makes little sense. Average junior players are ranked better.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
You can't manually draft players. The CPU autodrafts players for you.

Well, that'll do it for me. I bought EA's NHL game every year since '98. Was considering stopping the streak this year, and that just confirmed it.

The game is always just so full of blatantly nonsensical development decisions and half-assed, lazy programming and features.

In-game action is great, but everything else about the game is ****ing broken and always has been.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It say's his potential on the right hand side. It is "elite"

Other Leaf's who have "elite" potential: JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Kessel

As for Kontiola, that makes little sense. Average junior players are ranked better.

Yes I know it says what his potential is, but at his age he is pretty much primed and will not continue to increase in overall like the younger guys. The previous version had grey/white (w/e i forget) stars to designate that a player essentially maxed out once they hit 27 years of age.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Yes I know it says what his potential is, but at his age he is pretty much primed and will not continue to increase in overall like the younger guys. The previous version had grey/white (w/e i forget) stars to designate that a player essentially maxed out once they hit 27 years of age.

Yes, I agree with you that IRL he is. But, in modes such as be a GM, I would guess he has the ability to improve his rating because of the "elite" potential, otherwise it would be pointless.

Not that I really care, just think it's dumb that he got put in that category.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, I agree with you that IRL he is. But, in modes such as be a GM, I would guess he has the ability to improve his rating because of the "elite" potential, otherwise it would be pointless.

Not that I really care, just think it's dumb that he got put in that category.

I'm not talking about in real life. Like I said, in previous years players basically maxed out in overall at 27 years of age, and since Bozak is 28 his "elite potential" is just a tag due to his overall. He won't end up as a 90 or anything and could probably drop after one year. I remember Price was a 90 in 14 but he like hovered from 88 and 90 every season.

He should very well have the "top 6" tag, but by being an 87 he is probably just past the cutoff. I'm not sure if they included "top 3" in this game (haven't seen it) but they are probably just listing every first liner as an elite player.

Last edited:

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
I'm not talking about in real life. Like I said, in previous years players basically maxed out in overall at 27 years of age, and since Bozak is 28 his "elite potential" is just a tag due to his overall. He won't end up as a 90 or anything and could probably drop after one year. I remember Price was a 90 in 14 but he like hovered from 88 and 90 every season.

He should very well have the "top 6" tag, but by being an 87 he is probably just past the cutoff. I'm not sure if they included "top 3" in this game (haven't seen it) but they are probably just listing every first liner as an elite player.

I see what you're saying. Still, there is no reason why he should have the elite tag in the first place.

Also, if you look in the other thread where there is a video, it shows that he is actually "exact elite" which is the same as Kessel, whereas Rielly, JVR, and Gardiner have only "medium elite"

Not sure how anyone can take this game seriously with rankings like that. I will still play, but jesus they need to do a better job.

I also saw a post about how the rankings are done by a professional scout, YIKES.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad