Value of: Dylan Strome

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
If Strome is really as available. "I don't think the cost is particularly prohibitive" as the quote goes, you have to imagine Ottawa is in the mix

1. Ottawa has made comments about upgrading the roster at the draft
2. Ottawa has cheap young pieces to bundle for him like Tierney and Duclair that might interest Chicago since they probably don't want to give Strome up for picks who might not play for 3-4 years and don't want to give him up for older players who might cost too much or only be signed for a short term.
3. Ottawa and Chicago have a history of deals together.
4. Strome is in the age group where he'd be considered a long-term piece for Ottawa so they might be willing to give up a young player for him.

Food for thought.
The Hawks have zero interest in Duclair. He's already spent a half season here and they non-tendered him as a RFA.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The Hawks have zero interest in Duclair. He's already spent a half season here and they non-tendered him as a RFA.
Guys like Mike Hoffman and Danny Briere passed through waivers and every team in the league could have had them for free.

Does that mean that all 29 other teams didn't want them later in their careers when they were stars? Things have changed since then and Duclair has had a bounce back season and an all-star selection.

Chicago actually traded FOR Duclair at one point, so they must have liked something at the time.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Guys like Mike Hoffman and Danny Briere passed through waivers and every team in the league could have had them for free.

Does that mean that all 29 other teams didn't want them later in their careers when they were stars? Things have changed since then and Duclair has had a bounce back season and an all-star selection.

Chicago actually traded FOR Duclair at one point, so they must have liked something at the time.
I think it says a lot that they non-tendered him though. Dude was only on the team for about 30 games and they already had seen enough.

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
As someone who's kind of neutral on Strome, and a Hawks fan....this is my opinion

Things that Strome is elite or borderline elite at:
Hockey IQ
Passing

Things that Strome is above average at:
Shooting
Net-front presence

The Elephant in the room-His skating
There are three aspects to skating: Speed, edge work, and acceleration.

Speed-average
Edge work/Agility-below average
Acceleration-bad

The combination of the latter two skills neuter his average speed. It takes him 2/3 of the damn ice sheet to get to top speed, and then when he has to change directions it's awful. It's easy to see how the Coyotes missed on this stuff.

About his physical play/defense:
He's a big dude but if he plays physically he's liable to get caught out of position. It's a bit of a catch 22 with him on that issue.

If Strome could somehow get better with his edge work and quit skating through mud, He'd have the ability to be a star. Right now, he's pure offense. I don't doubt that in an injury-free season, he's going to be a 65-75 point guy. The thing is because of his issues with agility, edge work and acceleration while skating, he's one of those guys that you're always going to complain about being all empty stats.

I have a feeling he's going to bounce around a bunch on mediocre to bad teams because of this. He contributes offensively, but is completely useless when not scoring. Can you put up with a player like that? Also, being a winger completely neuters his offensive game. So in order to get the most out of him, you have to play him at center. Can your team carry him defensively? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Honestly, I have no idea how to value a player like this. I want borderline 1B/2A Center value, but at the same time if he was on another team there's no way in hell I'd want to give up that value to acquire him.

Good analysis. I agree with pretty much everything in it. I think we can all agree that Strome will never drive the play. But with the right linemates he might become a useful complementary piece on a second or third line. This still has value.

Reactions: Heldig

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Good analysis. I agree with pretty much everything in it. I think we can all agree that Strome will never drive the play. But with the right linemates he might become a useful complementary piece on a second or third line. This still has value.
This sounds exactly like Ryan Strome.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I can see SJ being interested. We plan on competing next year and desperately need affordable scoring forwards without a lot of cap room to work with. We don't have a bunch of assets available, but some of the decent ones would be:
Sasha Chmelevski
Possibly Ferraro, but the org is really high on him for good reason and it would fill one hole while opening another
TBL first
SJS second (34)
Colorado 2nd
Pitt 3rd
Gambrell

Reactions: Mrfenn92

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Could Strome work with some wingers that mitigate his weakness? Id see him do well with Landeskog and Nichuskhin; two of the best defensive wingers in the league.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I think it says a lot that they non-tendered him though. Dude was only on the team for about 30 games and they already had seen enough.
not only that, pretty wide spread rumors Hawks were even more turned off by his attitude and entitlement more than his on ice place. he supposedly dog housed himself with the coaching staff rather quickly. if I recall correctly, he was bitching he wasn't on the power play soon after he got here

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Georgiev+Lias Anderrsson+4th for Strome+3rd

Gives Chicago a goalie and a young player who was projected as a two way player, i don't think he wants to be in NY so maybe Chicago can get him going.

Rangers get a younger center for the 2nd line and can focus on other areas of the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad