Value of: Dylan Strome

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sabres need a 2C desperately, Strome wouldn't be my first choice but if I couldn't pry Cirelli from Tampa I'd make an offer.

Sabres have a lot of assets to offer, and the bonus for teams dealing with the Sabres is that players from the Sabres organization are very likely to play better when they are in a new and better environment.

Ristolainen and Montour are young vet dmen available, Matthias Samuelsson a top of the 2nd round big dman, Ryan Johnson a late 1st rounder dman, Casey Mittelstadt who I'd be leary of trading, has a ton of skill, Tage Thompson.

I'd trade Risto or Montour straight up for Strome, at most I'd add a 3rd round pick. Possibly Mittelstadt straight up, I think Mittelstadt still has more potential than Strome but the Sabres have to get better now or Eichel is a goner and Mittelstadt could need another half season in the AHL.

Something around ryan strome + for Samuelsson + ?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Surprised to see how available Dylan Strome is. I think getting him cheap could make a team very happy one day, and Chicago will be kicking themselves for messing up their good fortune for having traded for him in the first place.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hawks would likely be looking to make a one for one swap such as RyJo for Seth Jones and Larsson for Hall. Hawks need a long term replacement for Keith, so they would be after a LHD. Whats a realistic return for the Hawks?

TO LEAFS
MURPHY
STROME

TO HAWKS
DERMOTT
KERFOOT

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Surprised to see how available Dylan Strome is. I think getting him cheap could make a team very happy one day, and
Chicago will be kicking themselves for messing up their good fortune for having traded for him in the first place.

A good trade he's available. A bad one he's not.

Reactions: Pertti

BattleLevel

Jan 19, 2014
I'd like to see Strome take over the 2c spot with the Jets. From reading this thread it sounds like the Hawks want D. Is there a trade to be made involving Sami Niku?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He's not an ideal 2C, not the first one I would go after.......but if other options didn't work out then Jets might be interested for the right price if Friedman is correct on the price to get him.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think he'd make a lot of sense for the Oilers, either he could run a strong 3rd line as the 3C or they could give him a shot with McDavid at wing. They're really close friends so it would be worth a try if the price for him is futures.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
As someone who's kind of neutral on Strome, and a Hawks fan....this is my opinion

Things that Strome is elite or borderline elite at:
Hockey IQ
Passing

Things that Strome is above average at:
Shooting
Net-front presence

The Elephant in the room-His skating
There are three aspects to skating: Speed, edge work, and acceleration.

Speed-average
Edge work/Agility-below average
Acceleration-bad

The combination of the latter two skills neuter his average speed. It takes him 2/3 of the damn ice sheet to get to top speed, and then when he has to change directions it's awful. It's easy to see how the Coyotes missed on this stuff.

About his physical play/defense:
He's a big dude but if he plays physically he's liable to get caught out of position. It's a bit of a catch 22 with him on that issue.

If Strome could somehow get better with his edge work and quit skating through mud, He'd have the ability to be a star. Right now, he's pure offense. I don't doubt that in an injury-free season, he's going to be a 65-75 point guy. The thing is because of his issues with agility, edge work and acceleration while skating, he's one of those guys that you're always going to complain about being all empty stats.

I have a feeling he's going to bounce around a bunch on mediocre to bad teams because of this. He contributes offensively, but is completely useless when not scoring. Can you put up with a player like that? Also, being a winger completely neuters his offensive game. So in order to get the most out of him, you have to play him at center. Can your team carry him defensively? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Honestly, I have no idea how to value a player like this. I want borderline 1B/2A Center value, but at the same time if he was on another team there's no way in hell I'd want to give up that value to acquire him.

Last edited:

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
As someone who's kind of neutral on Strome, and a Hawks fan....this is my opinion

Things that Strome is elite or borderline elite at:
Hockey IQ
Passing

Things that Strome is above average at:
Shooting
Net-front presence

The Elephant in the room-His skating'
There are three aspects to skating: Speed, edge work, and acceleration.

Speed-average
Edge work/Agility-below average
Acceleration-bad

The combination of the latter two skills neuter his average speed. It takes him 2/3 of the damn ice sheet to get to top speed, and then when he has to change directions it's awful. It's easy to see how the Coyotes missed on this stuff.

About his physical play/defense:
He's a big dude but if he plays physically he's liable to get caught out of position. It's a bit of a catch 22 with him on that issue.

If Strome could somehow get better with his edge work and quit skating through mud, He'd have the ability to be a star. Right now, he's pure offense. I don't doubt that in an injury-free season, he's going to be a 65-75 point guy. The thing is because of his issues on with agility, edge work and acceleration while skating, he's one of those guys that you're always going to complain about being all empty stats.

I have a feeling he's going to bounce around a bunch on mediocre to bad teams because of this. He contributes offensively, but is completely useless when not scoring. Can you put up with a player like that? Also, being a winger completely neuters his offensive game. So in order to get the most out of him, you have to play him at center. Can your team carry him defensively? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Honestly, I have no idea how to value a player like this. I want borderline 1B/2A Center value, but at the same time if he was on another team there's no way in hell I'd want to give up that value to acquire him.
Thanks for the info on him. Has his skating improved at all? I feel like some coaching could help with edge work and form or is that it?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Thanks for the info on him. Has his skating improved at all? I feel like some coaching could help with edge work and form or is that it?
Actually, he tried some different stuff last summer with a skating coach, and it made things worse than his first season with the Hawks if you can imagine that.

I mean, given his profile I completely understand if you're not interested in acquiring him.

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If Strome is really as available. "I don't think the cost is particularly prohibitive" as the quote goes, you have to imagine Ottawa is in the mix

1. Ottawa has made comments about upgrading the roster at the draft
2. Ottawa has cheap young pieces to bundle for him like Tierney and Duclair that might interest Chicago since they probably don't want to give Strome up for picks who might not play for 3-4 years and don't want to give him up for older players who might cost too much or only be signed for a short term.
3. Ottawa and Chicago have a history of deals together.
4. Strome is in the age group where he'd be considered a long-term piece for Ottawa so they might be willing to give up a young player for him.

Food for thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad