Dylan Strome Sucks

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strome also benefits from having Stepan, who shares some of the same strengths (hockey IQ/positioning) and weaknesses (skating), as a mentor.

Strome is 21, he's showing positive strides, moving into an NHL 3C role is the logical next step.
I certainly feel a lot better after the last few games. Not because of points but because of poise. He looks like he belongs. He's not passive and scared looking. Looks confident and like he wants to be a difference maker. I'm encouraged as much as possible by a tiny 3 game sample.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I certainly feel a lot better after the last few games. Not because of points but because of poise. He looks like he belongs. He's not passive and scared looking. Looks confident and like he wants to be a difference maker. I'm encouraged as much as possible by a tiny 3 game sample.
Small sample, but I agree, he is much better, I always watch players like Strome without the puck. When he has the puck, he looks great, its without the puck that he needs to be solid in all 3 zones.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think he looks a lot more physically mature. Tyson's comment of "he's becoming a man" was actually appropriate. He protected the puck behind the net. He separated his man from the puck in the neutral zone using his frame. At the beginning of the season, he flat out couldn't do that.

His patchy facial hair just makes him look dirty. But it's still better than Peter Mueller's soul patch.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Strome is weak on the puck. I'm pulling for him but it's unlikely at this point. He may be a minor leaguer.

Yeah, let's wait until Strome has even a full season's worth of games under his belt before making that type of conclusion. From what I've seen he's been far more effective overall in this call-up than in his previous ones.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Yeah, let's wait until Strome has even a full season's worth of games under his belt before making that type of conclusion. From what I've seen he's been far more effective overall in this call-up than in his previous ones.
just based on past history of high draft picks he really isn't where he needs to be and may never get there. He's missing the few things that separate the big boys from the minor leaguers. He does not have top end speed and he's rather weak on the puck.
Trust me I'm pulling for him, he's a good kid. He reminds me so much of Jason Spezza but not sure he can translate that style into an NHL career.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
just based on past history of high draft picks he really isn't where he needs to be and may never get there. He's missing the few things that separate the big boys from the minor leaguers. He does not have top end speed and he's rather weak on the puck.
Trust me I'm pulling for him, he's a good kid. He reminds me so much of Jason Spezza but not sure he can translate that style into an NHL career.

People were saying similar things about Ryan Johansen and Mark Schiefele: big, raw highly drafted centers who each took at least three seasons to develop into NHL regulars, much less the top line centers the teams that drafted them hoped they would become. Look where they're at now.

Strome just turned 21 and it certainly looks like he's not done growing into that frame of his and improving his strength. So with respect, I disagree with labeling him as a lost cause.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
People were saying similar things about Ryan Johansen and Mark Schiefele: big, raw highly drafted centers who each took at least three seasons to develop into NHL regulars, much less the top line centers the teams that drafted them hoped they would become. Look where they're at now.

Strome just turned 21 and it certainly looks like he's not done growing into that frame of his and improving his strength. So with respect, I disagree with labeling him as a lost cause.
I disagree as well but but both of those guys were well ahead of Strome by age 21.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I disagree as well but but both of those guys were well ahead of Strome by age 21.

Scheifele was ahead. Ahead of Johansen too. Johansen may have been ahead of Strome in his age 20 season but it wasn't by that much from what I can see. Strome is only 21 days past turning 21 FWIW.

So most of this season was his age 20 season, we haven't really seen his age 21 season.
Johansen's age 20 season was better than Strome's at the NHL level but it was still only 12 points in 40 games. Ahead maybe, but not well. Both split time between the AHL and NHL. Johansen finished the same season Strome is currently in now with 5 points in his last 20 games.

Johansen turned 21 right after that season and that's when he took off. Strome could conceivably do the same. I don't think he will, but I think if he turns himself into an NHLer at least next year he has a reasonable chance of being a late bloomer. But he needs to be on the team at the start of the next season taking a regular shift.

At this stage I'm mostly hoping Strome is a useful top 6 NHL player of some sort. Beyond that would be great but we need something to show for the asset of 3OA even if it's less than originally anticipated.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Scheifele was ahead. Ahead of Johansen too. Johansen may have been ahead of Strome in his age 20 season but it wasn't by that much from what I can see. Strome is only 21 days past turning 21 FWIW.

So most of this season was his age 20 season, we haven't really seen his age 21 season.
Johansen's age 20 season was better than Strome's at the NHL level but it was still only 12 points in 40 games. Ahead maybe, but not well. Both split time between the AHL and NHL. Johansen finished the same season Strome is currently in now with 5 points in his last 20 games.

Johansen turned 21 right after that season and that's when he took off. Strome could conceivably do the same. I don't think he will, but I think if he turns himself into an NHLer at least next year he has a reasonable chance of being a late bloomer. But he needs to be on the team at the start of the next season taking a regular shift.

At this stage I'm mostly hoping Strome is a useful top 6 NHL player of some sort. Beyond that would be great but we need something to show for the asset of 3OA even if it's less than originally anticipated.
No way is he the type of player Scheifele is. Johansen maybe. But Johansen is bigger and stronger on the puck.
Strome was third pick overall. You would expect more at this point. I think he's hanging on by a thread and both his skating speed and lack of what I call "being strong on the puck" is going to hinder him to much to make an impact in this league.
But I hope I'm wrong because he's a good kid and the Yotes cant afford another blown pick.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No way is he the type of player Scheifele is. Johansen maybe. But Johansen is bigger and stronger on the puck.
Strome was third pick overall. You would expect more at this point. I think he's hanging on by a thread and both his skating speed and lack of what I call "being strong on the puck" is going to hinder him to much to make an impact in this league.
But I hope I'm wrong because he's a good kid and the Yotes cant afford another blown pick.

He's never even had a 10 game run to adjust to the NHL. We've jerked him around mercilessly. I'm not worried yet. Hopefully we start out strong next season so we don't "sticky" panic, and he gets steady time instead.
It's all up to Strome. He has the talent, but does he have the will. I see vast improvement in his game, but he still needs to be much better.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Strome continues to play at around this level and then goes back and rips up the Calder Cup Playoffs, I'm much less concerned about acquiring center insurance this summer.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Agreed. Even though he wasnt as impactful last night, I still think him centering that Perlini and Fischer line helpa us distribute our talent. I think things can only go up for him at this point. But lets see how he looks on the back to back and last 4 games.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I hope he has a great summer of training, gains some strength, and makes most of us some crow next season!!! We deserve all of this!!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So far so good with the last call up. We knew he could produce points and he is doing that now. The other parts of his game is where he needs to improve to stick in the NHL. It seems like he is better away from the puck now on D in all 3 zones. That will be why he sticks and gets minutes, if his play away from the puck is NHL caliber.

Reactions: moosemeister

smoot

Jul 13, 2017
The pairing of Strome and Domi seemed to produce great results. Domi is a scrappy puck hound and Strome seems to like to float around to empty space. They are both solid passers and managed to make Rinaldo look decent. I'm not sure who would be the best third player on the line, maybe someone like Fischer with some net front presence?

Reactions: BigDoaner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad