Dylan Strome Sucks

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Ok, on a more serious note, Strome learned to skate. He had nice even strides and picked up some speed. Good for him that he's really putting in the effort to be a 1C. I think that we will be surprised next year, and you can count me at the top of the list to eat crow about him.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The bottom line is that the success of this rebuild will largely depend on Strome. If you use a 3rd overall pick in a stacked draft for a projected 1C and he busts, the setback is just massive. It's almost impossible to overcome without adding years of losing.

Stepan has improved nicely over the year but he's no 1C, has never been and never will. 1Cs are not available. For this team to have success, Strome needs to take that spot. Stepan and Dvorak are good pieces for quality depth that you can use to build 3 good lines like the Jets currently have, but it's depended on having that Scheifele type at the top. The ripple effect of not having that is huge, and it extends to wings too (it's much easier to inject players like Merkley to the lineup at some point if you have that reliable, quality 1-2-3 punch in the middle).

Strome keeps on taking steps forward and improving but at some point the results need to be there. That some point is next season. If it doesn't happen and he goes along the lines of his brother, it's hard to see this team becoming a top team in the NHL. Chayka can make good moves and find upgrades, and the team could be playoff quality soon, but it's not going to take that next step without Strome as the 1C.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The bottom line is that the success of this rebuild will largely depend on Strome. If you use a 3rd overall pick in a stacked draft for a projected 1C and he busts, the setback is just massive. It's almost impossible to overcome without adding years of losing.

Stepan has improved nicely over the year but he's no 1C, has never been and never will. 1Cs are not available. For this team to have success, Strome needs to take that spot. Stepan and Dvorak are good pieces for quality depth that you can use to build 3 good lines like the Jets currently have, but it's depended on having that Scheifele type at the top. The ripple effect of not having that is huge, and it extends to wings too (it's much easier to inject players like Merkley to the lineup at some point if you have that reliable, quality 1-2-3 punch in the middle).

Strome keeps on taking steps forward and improving but at some point the results need to be there. That some point is next season. If it doesn't happen and he goes along the lines of his brother, it's hard to see this team becoming a top team in the NHL. Chayka can make good moves and find upgrades, and the team could be playoff quality soon, but it's not going to take that next step without Strome as the 1C.
We need more then Strome to become a top team. I think it is unlikely he becomes a 1C at this point. I think he is the only top 10 player from his draft not in the NHL full time.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
At this stage I hope Strome becomes a 50+ point second line C that helps run a good power play. I think that is realistic. Either a prospect(s) needs to surprise in their development or Keller and this years' pick need to become ppg type guys.

I still believe the team can improve leaps and bounds if a couple things click.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At this stage I hope Strome becomes a 50+ point second line C that helps run a good power play. I think that is realistic. Either a prospect(s) needs to surprise in their development or Keller and this years' pick need to become ppg type guys.

I still believe the team can improve leaps and bounds if a couple things click.

I agree with this. Strome STILL looks 17 years old. He’s just going to take time. I hope at the other end of this patience is a 20+ goal, 30+ assist guy. A guy who’s game is not unlike Derek Stepan’s.

We need to win a lottery, though. And if we pick 2nd or 3rd we need Svechnikov or Zadina to be perennial 30+ goal guys.

Reactions: AZviaNJ and Jakey53

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think he is the only top 10 player from his draft not in the NHL full time.
Don't get hung up on that. It's more of a reflection of Tocchet trying to establish a faster system than a reflection of Strome's abilities. Now that the team and coach are on the same page, Toc is finally willing to work Strome in. He'll be outscoring his fellow draftees next season.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Don't get hung up on that. It's more of a reflection of Tocchet trying to establish a faster system than a reflection of Strome's abilities. Now that the team and coach are on the same page, Toc is finally willing to work Strome in. He'll be outscoring his fellow draftees next season.
I hope you are right, and that he is outscoring his fellow draftees, but I don't see anything so far you can base your comments on. This has nothing to do with Tocc finally trying to work Strome in. Strome wasn't ready and still might not be an NHL player. This is attempt number 4 at making the roster.

I heard the same things on this board with Duke/Runblad/Gormley, that it was the coaches fault when they didn't do well or weren't in the line up. I hope you are right though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hope you are right, and that he is outscoring his fellow draftees, but I don't see anything so far you can base your comments on. This has nothing to do with Tocc finally trying to work Strome in. Strome wasn't ready and still might not be an NHL player. This is attempt number 4 at making the roster.

I heard the same things on this board with Duke/Runblad/Gormley, that it was the coaches fault when they didn't do well or weren't in the line up. I hope you are right though.
It's time for Strome to put up or shut up. I believe the only thing missing right now is his confidence, and his play now is showing more confidence. Last game he knocked on puck down in mid air with his stick and passed to Perlini in the slot for a great scoring chance. IF Perlini scores we would all be talking about Strome. His involvement is better, he back checks, his fore check is better, his skating is improved, and his patience with the puck is much better. I see no reason why Strome can't start as our 3C next year. Now, I don't want to hear he has to be a top six to be successful, that is bull. With the right wingers I think he will be better than DVO, although they are different players. I really hope this time next year we will be talking about Strome being part of the core going forward. It's up to Strome to prove he belongs.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's time for Strome to put up or shut up. I believe the only thing missing right now is his confidence, and his play now is showing more confidence. Last game he knocked on puck down in mid air with his stick and passed to Perlini in the slot for a great scoring chance. IF Perlini scores we would all be talking about Strome. His involvement is better, he back checks, his fore check is better, his skating is improved, and his patience with the puck is much better. I see no reason why Strome can't start as our 3C next year. Now, I don't want to hear he has to be a top six to be successful, that is bull. With the right wingers I think he will be better than DVO, although they are different players. I really hope this time next year we will be talking about Strome being part of the core going forward. It's up to Strome to prove he belongs.
I agree about that Perlini bit. It would've been so huge for both players if he would've buried that glorious chance. I was doing a fair bit of cursing after that didn't go in.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
His involvement is better, he back checks, his fore check is better, his skating is improved, and his patience with the puck is much better. I see no reason why Strome can't start as our 3C next year..

Agreed mostly, but IMO Strome's skating is really not NHL-caliber. It just hasn't improved enough where he looks like he can keep up with the play of other teams. He's either going to have to be brilliant positionally or he's going to be an also-ran in this league.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I want to know, as a NHL scout, you miss the fact that your 3OA pick, can't skate at an NHL level.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I want to know, as a NHL scout, you miss the fact that your 3OA pick, can't skate at an NHL level.

IIRC at the time most scouts were gobsmacked by Strome's hockey smarts... which, in retrospect, might have been overinflated by the hype machine based on what he did in Juniors. Jury's still out about whether his vision, playmaking, and intelligence are NHL-caliber or better-suited to lower-level hockey.

I really advocated drafting Strome because at the time our team was so bereft of real hockey smarts, I thought it would be an asset no matter how slow he skated. This is why I don't get paid to scout NHL players.

rt

May 13, 2004
I had real fears about Mitch Marner weighing 135lbs and looking way too much like my 8 year old niece. That appears to have not been an issue, after all. There have been many shrimpy junior players who were offensive powerhouses and couldn't translate that to the NHL. Being able to see that Marner was the special case that wouldn't struggle isn't an obvious thing. Hunter Shinkaruk is a bust. It's tough to tell.

Stepan has always been physically weak relative to his average NHL peers. Less mobile than most, too. He's kind of a slowish, frumpy guy. It hasn't been a problem. Why? I'd cite the ever nebulous "hockey smarts", I guess. Something Strome was touted as having in spades. Strome seemed to have all of those things that are supposed to help a guy overcome poor skating. And he may do that, it's just taking for damn ever. It didn't take Leon Draisaitl forever. He had similar issues.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I had real fears about Mitch Marner weighing 135lbs and looking way too much like my 8 year old niece. That appears to have not been an issue, after all. There have been many shrimpy junior players who were offensive powerhouses and couldn't translate that to the NHL. Being able to see that Marner was the special case that wouldn't struggle isn't an obvious thing. Hunter Shinkaruk is a bust. It's tough to tell.

Stepan has always been physically weak relative to his average NHL peers. Less mobile than most, too. He's kind of a slowish, frumpy guy. It hasn't been a problem. Why? I'd cite the ever nebulous "hockey smarts", I guess. Something Strome was touted as having in spades. Strome seemed to have all of those things that are supposed to help a guy overcome poor skating. And he may do that, it's just taking for damn ever. It didn't take Leon Draisaitl forever. He had similar issues.
Strome doesn't have McDavid to lean on either.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One thing that makes me pause about Brady Tkachuk in the coming draft is skating concerns.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Concerns of Brady's skating? He's a pretty decent skater from what I've heard/seen.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
One thing that makes me pause about Brady Tkachuk in the coming draft is skating concerns.
Every report I have read says his skating is strong? That said, his offense worries me. Love the grit and character. Not sure it is worth a top 5 pick atm. I am waffling. Coyotes need the sure thing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We need the best player available. It's not like we are 1 player away from the cup finals. I would prefer that the BPA turn out to be a forward in this year's draft but there's no way I would choose Svechnikov over Dahlin.

I was originally very high on Tkachuk but I've cooled down on him after reading about his lack of production. I agree with Ducky. I don't want to take a flyer on a first round pick this year.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
IIRC at the time most scouts were gobsmacked by Strome's hockey smarts... which, in retrospect, might have been overinflated by the hype machine based on what he did in Juniors. Jury's still out about whether his vision, playmaking, and intelligence are NHL-caliber or better-suited to lower-level hockey.

I really advocated drafting Strome because at the time our team was so bereft of real hockey smarts, I thought it would be an asset no matter how slow he skated. This is why I don't get paid to scout NHL players.
Strome also benefits from having Stepan, who shares some of the same strengths (hockey IQ/positioning) and weaknesses (skating), as a mentor.

Strome is 21, he's showing positive strides, moving into an NHL 3C role is the logical next step.

Reactions: che and Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad