Rumor: Dylan Strome is available (per Elliotte Friedman)

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Is it weird that even though I like Strome, I wouldn't mind moving him in a hockey trade because I believe in Kurashev and Barratt?

I'm of the opinion that keeping Strome blocks Dach's development a bit and I don't think Toews warrants a reduction in ice time yet. Strome feels like a luxury the Hawks can't afford right now.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Is it weird that even though I like Strome, I wouldn't mind moving him in a hockey trade because I believe in Kurashev and Barratt?

I'm of the opinion that keeping Strome blocks Dach's development a bit and I don't think Toews warrants
a reduction in ice time yet. Strome feels like a luxury the Hawks can't afford right now.

I don't see anything wrong with your sentiment about a hockey trade with Strome. I just caution the thinking that Barratt & Kurashev as options for the third line from the start of the season. Its not a easy thing for a rookie to be ready to center a line.

I still like going into next season with Toews/Strome/Dach centering the first 3 lines.
Leave Kampf and Carpenter on the 4th line don't want to see either playing higher in the lineup.

Reactions: bwana63

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't see anything wrong with your sentiment about a hockey trade with Strome. I just caution the thinking that Barratt & Kurashev as options for the third line from the start of the season. Its not a easy thing for a rookie to be ready to center a line.

I still like going into next season with Toews/Strome/Dach centering the first 3 lines.
Leave Kampf and Carpenter on the 4th line don't want to see either playing higher in the lineup.
I don't think the Hawks are ready to jump back into competition for a playoff spot yet, so I don't mind them taking a year to develop Kurashev and Barratt. I thought Kurashev was damn near NHL ready last year. He was quite productive in the AHL when healthy.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I don't think the Hawks are ready to jump back into competition for a playoff spot yet, so I don't mind them taking
a year to develop Kurashev and Barratt. I thought Kurashev was damn near NHL ready last year. He was quite productive in the AHL
when healthy.

To me that's when the organization needs to come out and say this upcoming year is another rebuild type of year then.
I can't imagine them doing that. As much as I want to see more young guys up and playing here. I don't want them to ruin young players by putting them in the NHL before their ready. So for me unless the return on strome makes sense I wouldn't move him at all. He's only what 23?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
To me that's when the organization needs to come out and say this upcoming year is another rebuild type of year then.
I can't imagine them doing that. As much as I want to see more young guys up and playing here. I don't want them to ruin young players by putting them in the NHL before their ready. So for me unless the return on strome makes sense I wouldn't move him at all. He's only what 23?
I agree it completely depends on the return. I'd only move him for a similarly aged defenseman like Hanifin that fits team needs.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
danault- 27 center, good defense, 50 point player per 82 last two years, 3 million for 1 year then a UFA
strome- 23 year old center, below average d, averaging 60 points per 82 the last two years. RFA

by no means am i a strome guy but i think i stick with him because of the higher ceiling.

But which one would help more in winning the Cup?

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Easily Strome since we aren’t winning the cup next year and we wouldn’t be able to pay Danault after that anyway so doing that move is absolutely stupid.

Ok, for our particular cap situation that might be true (although Saad expires so there is money for Danault).

But in a vacuum? Danault produces the same as Strome but shuts down lines each night too. Plus his game is made of the playoffs. Its no contest who's more impactful to winning hockey.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Ok, for our particular cap situation that might be true (although Saad expires so there is money for Danault).

But in a vacuum? Danault produces the same as Strome but shuts down lines each night too. Plus his game is made of the playoffs. Its no contest
who's more impactful to winning hockey.

Big fan of danault. Would have no problem handing him a extension myself personally
Only question is are the hawks willing to give a 3rd line center a pageau type of extension. I just don't see them doing that.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Big fan of danault. Would have no problem handing him a extension myself personally
Only question is are the hawks willing to give a 3rd line center a pageau type of extension. I just don't see them doing that.

I think he's comfortably a 2c at this point, would be for us too while Dach develops. Id love to have him, we need more guys like him.

But just a pipe dream unfortunately at this point, unless we are willing to deal premium assets.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think he's comfortably a 2c at this point, would be for us too while Dach develops. Id love to have him, we need more
guys like him.

But just a pipe dream unfortunately
at this point, unless we are willing to deal premium assets.

Agreed a number 2 for us next year. But my assumption is Dach by year 3 is a top 6 center.

Reactions: bwana63

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

But in a vacuum? Danault produces the same as Strome but shuts down lines each night too. Plus his game is made of the playoffs. Its no contest who's more impactful to winning hockey.

Where was Danault when he was Strome's age?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad