Rumor: Dylan Strome is available (per Elliotte Friedman)

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Where was Danault when he was Strome's age?
He was already a 40 pt player top 5 on his team in scoring and good defensively.

Strome does being an element that is something you dont want to have limited again if he's gone and that's net front skills and ability to make plays with deflecting shots. For too many years the Hawks lacked that. Even if Dach say gets better or Kubalik does it now and then they will want to have that.

Reactions: KWP

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
at this point we should keep Strome unless it is a trade that we get good return for and they are young...

with Strome being a youngster himself I would doubt that the return would be worthwhile unless it involves a good young winger or a good young goalie.

I don't see either happening, as such we should stick with strome but I think he should be transitioned to the wing

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
No, it just doesn't work. He thinks and plays the game like a center.

I don't see a problem with rolling three lines.

Saad-Toews-Kubalik
Nylander-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach

perhaps he thinks the game as a C but he certainly does not play the game like a 2 way C, he is a liability big time at C.

I will say that his Face-off % was better late in the year...

I have issue with that line, nobody to do the dirty work, nobody to do the digging, nobody to take the body, nobody to go hang out in front of the net. In addition to that they are likely are three of our four best playmaking players, they should not be on the same line

In addition that takes the Strome/cat chemistry away and places it on the shelf.

I also don't see a problem rolling three lines....Kurashev/Strome could be interchangeable if Strome learns to be responsible on D as I think Kurashev would have an easier transition to being a winger

Kubalik-Toews-Saad
Nylander-Dach-Kane
Cat-Kurashev-Strome

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
perhaps he thinks the game as a C but he certainly does not play the game like a 2 way C, he is a liability big time at C.

I have issue with that line, nobody to do the dirty work, nobody to do the digging, nobody to take the body, nobody to go hang out in front of the net. In addition to that they are likely are three of our four best playmaking players, they should not be on the same line

In addition that takes the Strome/cat chemistry away and places it on the shelf.

I also don't see a problem rolling three lines....Kurashev/Strome could be interchangeable if Strome learns to be responsible on D as I think Kurashev would have an easier transition to being a winger

Kubalik-Toews-Saad
Nylander-Dach-Kane
Cat-Kurashev-Strome
The Strome and Cat chemistry was non existent last season. I mean Strome did his share of the work, can't say the same for Cat.

Strome and Kane make sense together because they're our "only offence" players. So shelter that line from defensive zone starts instead of splitting those guys up and having two lines that are defensive liabilities. Also Nylander is a good 2 way player (he's still developing) so he handles some of the load for those two.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The Strome and Cat chemistry was non existent last season. I mean Strome did his share of the work, can't say the same for Cat.

Strome and Kane make sense together because they're our "only offence" players. So shelter that line from defensive zone starts instead of splitting those guys up and having two lines that are defensive liabilities. Also Nylander is a good 2 way player (he's still developing) so he handles some of the load for those two.

na strome and Kane don't really work together IMO, we have had a difference of opinion on that for a long time so it is what it is, ...no sense arguing over it

if you have Strome cantering Kane it would be better to have a better third wheel there perhaps Saad.

Cat and Stromes lack of chemistry last year had to do with Cat's play IMO

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Ya, don’t mind this approach. Just need to trust Colliton knows how to effectively shelter a line

Reactions: bwana63 and KWP

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

Kubalik-Toews-Saad
Nylander-Dach-Kane
Cat-Kurashev-Strome

I like how you’re doubting Strome as a legit NHL center and at the same time arguing that he be replaced at that position by a player with...wait for it...ZERO career games played in the NHL.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
It’s undeniable that Strome has played his best hockey as a Hawk when he’s playing alongside Kane. Whether that was with Cat or Nylander on the opposite wing, all the same. Strome and Kane click and it’s the best possible position for Strome to succeed.

Furthermore both Toews and Dach have proven they don’t need 88 to play at a high level. This only further cements the logic in using these combos:

Kubalik-Toews-XXX/Saad
Nylander-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Saad/XXX

XXX = Caggiula/Shaw(if healthy and not bought out)/whoever we draft with our upcoming 1st round pick/whoever is already first in line among our current prospects.

Reactions: bwana63

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
It’s undeniable that Strome has played his best hockey as a Hawk when he’s playing alongside Kane. Whether that was with Cat or Nylander on the opposite wing, all the same. Strome and Kane click and it’s the best possible position for Strome to succeed.

Furthermore both Toews and Dach have proven they don’t need 88 to play at a high level. This only further cements the logic in using these combos:

Kubalik-Toews-XXX/Saad
Nylander-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Saad/XXX

XXX = Caggiula/Shaw(if healthy and not bought out)/whoever we draft with our upcoming 1st round pick/whoever is already first in line among our current prospects.

This. Shalunov may yet be Mr. X (not going there w/XXX, lol). Caggs is our Swiss Army knife: can slot him in anywhere.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Athanasiou and Puljujarvi for Strome

Strome - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisailt - Yamamoto

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I like how you’re doubting Strome as a legit NHL center and at the same time arguing that he be replaced at that position by a player with...wait for it...ZERO career games played in the NHL.

no, I was merely stating that if Strome was more responsible and became a better two way C that played a more robust 200 foot game then he would be a much, much better C. If he won't do that then yes I am suggesting that he be moved to the Wing. Kurashev does absolutely play that 200 foot game that we wish Strome would play and yes I understand that he has zero NHL games.

Might I add that I also said that if Strome could play that 200 foot game he could play C as Kurashev would IMO transition to Wing much easier than Strome would

Reactions: bwana63

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
no, I was merely stating that if Strome was more responsible and became a better two way C that played a more robust 200 foot game then he would be a much, much better C. If he won't do that then yes I am suggesting that he be moved to the Wing. Kurashev does absolutely play that 200 foot game that we wish Strome would play and yes I understand that he has zero NHL games.

Might I add that I also said that if Strome could play that 200 foot game he could play C as Kurashev would IMO transition to Wing much easier than Strome would

Strome isn't effective at wing. Idk how many times people have to tell others this. Strome is a flawed center, and an offense only guy. If he wants to, he can bring a physical game but the people who point out his game being empty stats are somewhat accurate. He could bring more to the physical part of the game if he wants to.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Athanasiou and Puljujarvi for Strome

Strome - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisailt - Yamamoto

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

That’s still one less legit scoring line than the Hawks and most other legit contenders would have. How’s your bottom 6 looking?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
That’s still one less legit scoring line than the Hawks and most other legit contenders would have. How’s your bottom 6 looking?

Considering they have Connor freakin' McDavid and Draisaitl, they can get away with it a bit (similar to the Pens). I'll agree that they at least could use one more solid bottom 6er or at least spread the offense out a bit (maybe put RNH or Strome at 3LC).

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Considering they have Connor freakin' McDavid and Draisaitl, they can get away with it a bit (similar to the Pens). I'll agree that they at least could use one more solid bottom 6er or at least spread the offense out a bit (maybe put RNH or Strome at 3LC).
Get away with it to what end though, the Pens never won anything when they relied on that. Not until they had full 3 scoring lines again.

Reactions: SimpleJack

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Get away with it to what end though, the Pens never won anything when they relied on that. Not until they had full 3 scoring lines again.

Which is why in my post I literally said they should spread out the depth a bit. RNH can easily play 3LC on that team or Strome.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
If we keep Strome, I could see him with Saad and Shaw----a nice balanced, productive 3rd line.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
If we keep Strome, I could see him with Saad and Shaw----a nice balanced, productive 3rd line.

I think there’s overwhelming evidence and logic to suggest he begins the year with Nylander and Kane. If not possibly Cat and Kane. But definitely Kane.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think there’s overwhelming evidence and logic to suggest he begins the year with Nylander and Kane. If not possibly Cat and Kane. But definitely Kane.
Nylander-Strome-Kane is definitely a line.

I think there's some evidence that Toews and DeBrincat have some chemistry as well, but finding a suitable linemate for them is harder.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad