Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
As long as the coach actually uses him as a 3C.
That's my concern.

Call me crazy, but I think that both Dach and Strome could top out in the 90-95 point range with an outside chance at a season or two over 100.

I haven't seen the Strome from last season so far this year, but if that guy shows up he could go on a tear. Even so Strome still has 17 pts in 23 games.

Strome is not a 95 point center. He is a good player but he is not that good.

Dach has the potential though.

You can never have too many good centers.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Strome is not a 95 point center. He is a good player but he is not that good.

Dach has the potential though.

You can never have too many good centers.
You don't know. I think he's easily a 70 point C right now. His production has been at that level over a full season's worth of games with the Hawks. He's been getting 17 minutes per game btw which is 2nd line minutes.

It's not that much of a stretch to think he could take another step forward into the 85-95 range given he's already in the ~65-75 range right now.

That 95 pts for Strome is if he reaches his absolute ceiling IMO.

I don't think ppg to 90pts is out of the question for him. He's only 22.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You don't know. I think he's easily a 70 point C right now. His production has been at that level over a full season's worth of games. He's been getting 17 minutes per game btw which is 2nd line minutes.

It's not that much of a stretch to think he could take another step forward into the 85-95 range given he's already in the ~65-75 range right now.

Big difference between 70 and 95. HUGE difference. He is not "easily" a 70 point center now as he is struggling at times to produce.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That's not the issue. The issue is that Strome and Dach should be getting the lion's share of the minutes and Toews should be getting 3C minutes.
This will happen eventually, but now is not the time.

Dach is 18. Let's hold off on shoving minutes down his throat.

Strome has been getting good minutes under JC. He's 5th on the team among forwards for TOI.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Big difference between 70 and 95. HUGE difference. He is not "easily" a 70 point center now as he is struggling at times to produce.
The entire offense has been snakebit outside of Kane. If they ever get going the players are going to rack up points like crazy. This team scored 270 goals last season with a worse forward group.

Idk what the hell has gotten into them this year but they've been nowhere near the same offensive team.

RE: Strome, I'm fairly confident in him being mostly a 75 pt C with a few ppg+ seasons even if he never gets 90 pts. Like a few in in the 82-88 range.

RE: Toews, I'm fine with he and Dach splitting 2C/3C. I hate Dach as the 4th C.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
You don't know. I think he's easily a 70 point C right now. His production has been at that level over a full season's worth of games with the Hawks. He's been getting 17 minutes per game btw which is 2nd line minutes.

That 95 pts for Strome is if he reaches his absolute ceiling IMO.

I don't think ppg to 90pts is out of the question for him. He's only 22.

It’s certainly not out of the question but I’d lean towards semi unlikely because I don’t think he will ever see that much ice time with Dach around, nothing to do with Toews even.

What I am confused about is some takes on Dach ceiling. He was drafted to be a two way center and that’s what he is. Toews-like. He has high offensive ability, I’d say less than Strome ultimately though. That is to say I think both are 65 to PPG players depending on circumstance. But I don’t think either are 95 point type players unless everything goes right that season and they reach their ultimate potential.

I think one can be a PPG player, which would probably push the other down to being a 65 - 75 point player because they’d be getting less top opportunity.
I actually think if all things were equal, Strome would slightly outscore Dach, But Dach overall game will give him priority in most situations.

Now if they had drafted Turcotte....different story.

Also, I think the main thing holding Strome back from being more than a near PPG player is his skating and pace in today’s nhl. If this were 20 years ago, might be a different story. He def needs to work on his defense though and he’s going to have to become a master at slowing the game down to suit his ability.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
id rather have an elite left winger than a 3rd line center and a 2nd line winger
Strome is listed as the 56th best center (for points so far this season) in the league on NHL.com, while that site has a ton of wingers (like Panarin) listed at C for some reason. So not a 3C.

DeBrincat is, for some reason, listed as a RW on NHL.com, but for RWs, he's currently 12th in the league. So also not a 2nd line wing.

Seriously, how the hell do you think a guy who hit 40 goals last season is anything other than a top line wing?!? Yeah, he probably won't hit that threshold this season, but there were only 13 players who hit that mark last season (that includes centers and wingers). Hell, only 45 guys last year even hit 30 goals, which if there are 31 top line centers in the league and 62 to line wingers in the league, it means that out of 93 top line players, less than half could even hit that mark last season.

Panarin is better than either of Strome or Cat. But he's not better than both of them. Hell, Cat's production last season was on par with Bread's when he was here (scoring was higher last year, but Cat was also several years younger than Bread was at the time).

Last edited:

Fire Stan Bowman

May 28, 2019
Strome is listed as the 56th best center (for points so far this season) in the league on NHL.com, while that site has a ton of wingers (like Panarin) listed at C for some reason. So not a 3C.

DeBrincat is, for some reason, listed as a RW on NHL.com, but for RWs, he's currently 12th in the league. So also not a 2nd line wing.

Seriously, how the hell do you think a guy who hit 40 goals last season is anything other than a top line wing?!? Yeah, he probably won't hit that threshold this season, but there were only 13 players who hit that mark last season (that includes centers and wingers). Hell, only 45 guys last year even hit 30 goals, which if there are 31 top line centers in the league and 62 to line wingers in the league, it means that out of 93 top line players, less than half could even hit that mark last season.

Panarin is better than either of Strome or Cat. But he's not better than both of them. Hell, Cat's production last season was on par with Bread's when he was here (scoring was higher last year, but Cat was also several years younger than Bread was at the time).
just my assessment but debrincat cant win board battles, doesn't see the ice well and doesnt create for others but has a lethal shot. strome is just a big slow weak puss .. but yeah hockey is just about points i forgot people used to talk about how good toews was because he put up 100 points a season

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
just my assessment but debrincat cant win board battles, doesn't see the ice well and doesnt create for others but has a lethal shot. strome is just a big slow weak puss .. but yeah hockey is just about points i forgot people used to talk about how good toews was because he put up 100 points a season
DeBrincat has 19pts in 25 games, 14 of those points being assists. But the kid obviously can't create offense for others......

Yeah, being good defensively while putting up 60-70 points usually does mean you're a top line guy. But there are 93 top line guys in this league. Literally, 31 teams, each of which has 3 guys on their top line in any given night. Not all those guys are Selke contenders.

The reason why guys like Toews and Hossa will eventually wind up in the Hall of Fame is because they were guys who could hit 70ish points while playing a strong defensive game. The large majority of top line guys aren't like that, and won't even sniff becoming a future HOFer.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
DeBrincat has 19pts in 25 games, 14 of those points being assists. But the kid obviously can't create offense for others......

Yeah, being good defensively while putting up 60-70 points usually does mean you're a top line guy. But there are 93 top line guys in this league. Literally, 31 teams, each of which has 3 guys on their top line in any given night. Not all those guys are Selke contenders.

The reason why guys like Toews and Hossa will eventually wind up in the Hall of Fame is because they were guys who could hit 70ish points while playing a strong defensive game. The large majority of top line guys aren't like that, and won't even sniff becoming a future HOFer.

Yep, huge difference between being a top line guy and a Selke-level hall of famer.

Strome up top line level production with the Hawks last year, and looks to be on pace to do it again.

For as much as I talk shit about Strome (95% of that being to get a rise out of Musto) I recognize that he’s absolutely better than a third line center. This an argument to be had whether he should be your true first line center in the Toews sense (meaning PP and PK time), but the guy is putting up first line level offensive production.

I’ll look later and find how many teams he’d be the top-scoring center of.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yep, huge difference between being a top line guy and a Selke-level hall of famer.

Strome up top line level production with the Hawks last year, and looks to be on pace to do it again.

For as much as I talk **** about Strome (95% of that being to get a rise out of Musto) I recognize that he’s absolutely better than a third line center. This an argument to be had whether he should be your true first line center in the Toews sense (meaning PP and PK time), but the guy is putting up first line level offensive production.

Strome and Dach are excellent building blocks for a future contender. Strome looks like a player that is going to peak in production in his mid-late 20s.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Strome and Dach are excellent building blocks for a future contender. Strome looks like a player that is going to peak in production in his mid-late 20s.

I’m not sure how you see that part, unless you’re just going off what is typical in the NHL and nothing unique to Strome.

I do agree he’s a guy I want to see the Hawks keep though, despite his Angel Softness :sarcasm:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I’m not sure how you see that part, unless you’re just going off what is typical in the NHL and nothing unique to Strome.

I do agree he’s a guy I want to see the Hawks keep though, despite his Angel Softness :sarcasm:
Nope, that's not true actually. Production generally peaks between 22-26. There is a slight dropoff from 27-30.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don’t know what that means. How does “his hockey sense” mean his production will peak later?
As he gets more experienced he's going to become more dangerous. Kinda like Kane did but not to that level.

Outside of 2010 Kane was a 75 point player until 2015. Then he exploded. (I'm in no way saying Strome will produce to that level)

It's my own little theory on players with high to elite hockey sense. They peak later and longer than those with pure talent but average-ish hockey sense.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

For as much as I talk **** about Strome (95% of that being to get a rise out of Musto) I recognize that he’s absolutely better than a third line center. This an argument to be had whether he should be your true first line center in the Toews sense (meaning PP and PK time), but the guy is putting up first line level offensive production.

Hawks aside, Dylan Strome would be the highest scoring center for Detroit and New Jersey. Though there are some centers on other teams he'd likely beat out but they have more games played and thus a tad more points.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Hawks aside, Dylan Strome would be the highest scoring center for Detroit and New Jersey. Though there are some centers on other teams he'd likely beat out but they have more games played and thus a tad more points.
@Kevin Musto

I'm interested what your objective thoughts are on Strome, not your schtick thoughts.
What are they?

I really don't know what to think of him. I think he's definitely a top 6 C but I don't know what to make of his upside. A safe bet for 60 pts but how high can he go is the question. There's times when I think 70-75 points and times when I think 85-90.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad