Dylan McIlrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
100% of the assault against McIlrath is from people who are using him to prove to everyone how smart they are. This was the one draft when fans were right. Yes, Tarasenko panned out.

Now people screaming, "see, see, I told you, I was right, you see, you see? I said Tarasenko, but they drafted McIlrath, and I was right. Do you see how I was right? I was always right. I know hockey, I am smart. You see how smart I am!"

But nobody remembers that the following year most wanted McNeill or Biggs, and nobody wanted Miller. Nobody remembers that 90% of the players fans want are droppers who become busts ("we are so lucky, we can get a player THN ranked at #8 with our #22...oh wait, how could we skip him?!")

This was the one time the fans were right, so let's milk it for 4 years and counting.

I think you might have a complex. You were the first person to mention Tarasenko in this thread.

What happened 4 years ago and who is excelling in the NHL now means jack **** to me. I do, however, care that it still looks like the guy we did pick is a ways away from contributing.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
His balance and positioning/picking his spots improved tremendously towards the end of the year. He seemed much more settled. Then he started showing some offensive flair a bit. Something he has to continue to develop for sure, but there is some nice upside there.

Thanks for the update, bud.

He was definitely one of my favorites when I watched. The idea that he will NEVER be an NHL caliber player has no merit, IMO. Will he be a top-pairing RHD? Probably not. But with his skillset it definitely is realistic for him to become a 2nd/3rd pair d-man.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
100% of the assault against McIlrath is from people who are using him to prove to everyone how smart they are. This was the one draft when fans were right. Yes, Tarasenko panned out.

Now people screaming, "see, see, I told you, I was right, you see, you see? I said Tarasenko, but they drafted McIlrath, and I was right. Do you see how I was right? I was always right. I know hockey, I am smart. You see how smart I am!"

But nobody remembers that the following year most wanted McNeill or Biggs, and nobody wanted Miller. Nobody remembers that 90% of the players fans want are droppers who become busts ("we are so lucky, we can get a player THN ranked at #8 with our #22...oh wait, how could we skip him?!")

This was the one time the fans were right, so let's milk it for 4 years and counting.

You can't even label McIlrath a bust yet. He's 22! He was a project when he was selected and looks like he is progressing very well after some slight injury issues. You don't even know what the finished product is...:help:

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Thanks for the update, bud.

He was definitely one of my favorites when I watched. The idea that he will NEVER be an NHL caliber player has no merit, IMO. Will he be a top-pairing RHD? Probably not. But with his skillset it definitely is realistic for him to become a 2nd/3rd pair d-man.

Yea. I'm not sure how anyone who watches him play often can't love him and how he conducts his business on the ice.

I'm not going to guarantee he's nhl ready or any such thing, but he is extremely talented and there's no reason to think he won't or can't be an impact nhl defender

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
1) Leetch never played in the minors. And with what Leetch brought offensively, you live with defensive shortcomings (although I think was an underrated defensive player in his prime).

2) St. Louis and Zuccarello aren't defensemen.

1. I never said Leetch played in the minors, I said he couldn't even play defense on a minor league level at this age. Reading comprehension.

2. Exactly, they are forwards, meaning faster development, meaning they had less reason to struggle.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Is 14:00 of NHL ice time really a large enough sample to make declarations about the kid's game?

Salivating at how much crow he's gonna serve. This type of player is exactly what we needed against the Kings.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
There's so much vile for this guy.

The coaching staff raves about him and he's progressing every year since being drafted and by all accounts playing well. Why hate him?

Not just the coaching staff. Everyone who watches McIlrath is a fan. Everyone who assaults him doesn't know where Hartford is on the map.

Who do you think is right: everyone who watches him (both coaches and fans) or everyone who has an axe to grind because we didn't draft Tarasenko?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Is 14:00 of ice time really a large enough sample to make declarations about the kid's game?

I said when he got called up that my concern would be him trying to throw a couple huge hits. And he would take himself out of position by doing it.

That's exactly what happened. He did the same thing when he first got to the ahl, that's a young player trying to make his mark. It's not a real negative. It's a learning experience and that goes away after they get their foot wet and become settled

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
1. I never said Leetch played in the minors, I said he couldn't even play defense on a minor league level at this age. Reading comprehension.

2. Exactly, they are forwards, meaning faster development, meaning they had less reason to struggle.

1) Guess you want to ignore the other part or my point. Selective reading comprehension.

2) Also meaning they could get away with being less than excellent on defense.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
You mean the way Brian Leetch couldn't play defense even at a minor league level at the sane age? Or the way Martin St. Louis and more recently Mars Zuccarello struggled at an even older age?

All those prospects you are hailing like Duclair and Skjei... do you know how badly they'd crap the bed if they played against NHLers last season? Do you know just how awful Kreider was in his time in Hartford during the lockout?

The best way to gauge a prospect is by looking at his progress, not his current play. That's why there is a lot of hope for Duke, Skjei, Butcher - they keep improving. And McIlrath is one of those types of prospects who improves from month to month.

He is already a better player than what he was when he got called up. He will be a quality NHLer, significantly better than the vast majority of #10 overall picks over the last 25 drafts from 1990 to 2014.

When did Brian Leetch play in a minor league? After reading your reply to Singin' I still disagree--Leetch was a NHL level defenseman from the day he came into the league (and I saw pretty much every game he played for the Rangers, many of them in person).

As for McIlrath: the past year is just that, the past. We have to wait until training camp to see if he's ready--young players haven't been handed a spot on the NHL roster without earning in the organization for a while now. And the competition will be stiff, since Sather and Co. always like to bring several extra defensemen.

Last edited:

Vidic15*

If he doesn't have a solid camp, we should cut our losses. Ship him to Edmonton.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Physically he's at a point where he is mature enough for an NHL game. I still think he needs a few more reps in the minors, but next year he should be good for a 20 game stint or so and work his way up from there.

Really what you are looking at is a Matt Greene clone in terms of what he brings to the table with a little better mobility. Rick Nash and other players will have the luxury of knowing that there will be a guy that can dish out some frontier justice in case a game gets out of hand. That side of the game is diminishing in the NHL, but McIlrath can handle that aspect no problem.

The interesting bit is about him being moved up front. I'd give it a look, as he can be a plus version of an Artukhin on the 4th line if need be. This way the Rangers can dress 7 on some nights. If you're tired of 3rd 4th chances that other teams score on then this is a player you want and need since none of the Rangers clear the net.

The Rangers lost 4 OT games in the last 2 playoffs because a 3rd pair D-Man wasn't strong or willing enough to clear the net. This is what McIlrath brings to the table.

Offensive upside: non-existant... but hey he can probably outscore a Staal or Stralman in a given year if he hits 13 points in a season... no body seems to care much about that.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If he doesn't have a solid camp, we should cut our losses. Ship him to Edmonton.

Sauer didn't make it into the NHL until 5 years removed from his draft and was well on his way to being a solid top 4 D. McIlrath is a plus version of Sauer.. bigger, longer, tougher, meaner, and can really skate.

Would be stupid to trade him for pennies, really not a player you move unless he can't make it without waivers kicking in as a worst case scenario, or until he proves that he can't win a spot.

Basically you are playing with a timeline... imo he can play next year... but probably won't be a full time player until the midseason point or injuries hit.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Offensive upside: non-existant... but hey he can probably outscore a Staal or Stralman in a given year if he hits 13 points in a season... no body seems to care much about that.

Disagree. Not that he's going to be anything special offensively. But he can put up some points. He's a decent puck mover with a really heavy shot. He needs more experience doing it though.

Took mcdonagh awhile to really show any offensive ability. It happens

Vidic15*

Sauer didn't make it into the NHL until 5 years removed from his draft and was well on his way to being a solid top 4 D. McIlrath is a plus version of Sauer.. bigger, longer, tougher, meaner, and can really skate.

Would be stupid to trade him for pennies, really not a player you move unless he can't make it without waivers kicking in as a worst case scenario, or until he proves that he can't win a spot.

Basically you are playing with a timeline... imo he can play next year... but probably won't be a full time player until the midseason point or injuries hit.

I don't remember Sauer having the same questionable decision making McIlrath has. I wasn't impressed with his cup of coffee towards the middle of the season

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Sauer looked like **** his first few games in the NHL, especially that Pens game.

2 or 3 games is not a barometer. Heck, Fowler had 2-3 bad seasons before he looked like a reliable NHL dman.

To me, McIlrath would be the perfect compliment to Moore or McDonagh.

Give the kid a shot, and more than two games. You generally promote on potential, and he's still got some.

I have a hard time believing anybody, including McIlrath, could have played worse than Girardi did for most of the postseason.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My 2 cents`
I didn't mind the pick at the time because I felt we lacked what he brought.
That said I just don't see him ever filling that role (that is based on watching a dozen AHL games and highlights)
I'm also not sold on his fighting. Yes he is very willing and will protect his teammates but his off balance hay maker style doesn't work @ NHL level unless you have an iron chin.
I really hope I am wrong because I really like the kid.
In hindsight it was a mistake taking him at 10!

There are more legit tough guys in the AHL than in the NHL. That's just a fact. He's fought a lot of the best--some more than once. I agree with those who believe once he makes the NHL he'll be fighting less often. 7 to 10 times a year would be about right. He needs to make it as a player not as a goon but he also needs to show what he's capable of. I think both he and the Rangers are smart enough to realize that.

I really don't know if Dylan will be good enough come training camp to make the team. He's had some serious injury setbacks. He's been making progress though. It seems like a year or so ago half the posters on this board were giving up on Kreider.
McIlrath's mentor in Hartford--Beukeboom was a 1st round pick as well and it took him several years between the minors and up and down with the Oilers to finally make the NHL and even then he was a bottom pairing guy until he came to the Rangers. Most defensemen need patience. Big, physical guys usually more than others. The Rangers aren't hurt as long as he continues to get better either in Hartford or with the big club. If he continues to progress he will eventually make it.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
A very good answer. AV on breakup day talked about Klein as a top 4 in Nashville. It sounded to me he thought he was capable. He moved Stralman and Klein around occasionally in the regular season. Personally I preferred Stall-Stralman over Staal-Klein.

IIRC, we got Klein because AV really liked him from his time out west and facing against him.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I don't remember Sauer having the same questionable decision making McIlrath has. I wasn't impressed with his cup of coffee towards the middle of the season

That's because the first time you saw Sauer, he was 23, not 21. When Sauer was 22, Hartford-watchers were trying to pimp him, while everyone else gave up on him, calling him #7 at best. There was even mild outrage here when Sauer made the team as a rookie over more highly regarded prospects like Valentenko.

Everyone loves Sauer now, but he was thought of as flat-out crap when he was Dylan's age.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
**** this guy... Could have had Fowler or Tarasenko.. another 1st round the Rangers missed.

****ing Del Zotto and his awesome rookie campaign ****ed us in so many ways. Imagine Cam Fowler on this blue line. Oh well, lets hope Dylan can make some strides next year.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
This is why I'm down on McIlrath, every time he gets bashed people respond with fighting videos.

I don't care that hes big and tough and he fights. If thats his best asset, he isn't good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad