Dylan McIlrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Can McIlrath discussions be limited to people who watched at least a dozen Hartford games this year? Seems like 90% have no clue what's up, except that they want Tarasenko, so they feel the need to crap on Dylan without any knowledge.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Can McIlrath discussions be limited to people who watched at least a dozen Hartford games this year? Seems like 90% have no clue what's up, except that they want Tarasenko, so they feel the need to crap on Dylan without any knowledge.

Can we also include the people who saw McIlrath **** the bed against actual NHL competition?

Thanks in advance.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
There were some positives to McIlrath's game in the two (was it two?) games he played with us this year.

Definitely held his own in the fight against McGratton. Even though it led to a goal against, I loved the way he stepped up at the offensive blue line to destroy a Blue Jacket coming out of the zone. In the future, he'll pick his spots more wisely and turn plays like that into very productive plays.

Just from those two games though, and not seeing much of him in Hartford... If McIlrath is the starting 3RD for the Rangers in the 14-15 season, it's going to come with growing pains, that's just not arguable.

This is a big off-season/training camp/preseason for McIlrath.

If Ulf walks to HC, and Beuk steps in as a new assistant, I think that certainly plays into his favor.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think he would already be a Ranger if not for his two knee injuries. I think they set him back at least a year. When he comes up he will have some ups and downs like most young players. Ranger fans should be patient with him and understand he will go through a learning process like most young defensemen.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There were some positives to McIlrath's game in the two (was it two?) games he played with us this year.

Definitely held his own in the fight against McGratton. Even though it led to a goal against, I loved the way he stepped up at the offensive blue line to destroy a Blue Jacket coming out of the zone. In the future, he'll pick his spots more wisely and turn plays like that into very productive plays.

Just from those two games though, and not seeing much of him in Hartford... If McIlrath is the starting 3RD for the Rangers in the 14-15 season, it's going to come with growing pains, that's just not arguable.

This is a big off-season/training camp/preseason for McIlrath.

If Ulf walks to HC, and Beuk steps in as a new assistant, I think that certainly plays into his favor.

If you can commend that play, you can commend anything I suppose.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If you can commend that play, you can commend anything I suppose.

As I said in that post, I commend the play because it's a sign of things to come. When he learns to pick his spots better, he's going to break up a lot of potential rushes against by just stepping up at the offensive blue line and destroying people.

The thing is, if Dylan is going to be in the lineup game in and game out, it's those types of plays we're going to have to learn to deal with as he learns on the go.

EDIT - I just rewatched that play. Looks like Jenner had his head up and avoided most of the hit, that's fine. Yes, I do remember that McIlrath got his stick up and there was a delayed penalty.

What I didn't remember, is that before Anisimov scores from the left side of Hank, McIlrath is already back in the play clearing the crease on the right side of Hank :yo:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020473

This game, second Blue Jacket's goal. Anisimov.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very, very, very, bad read by McIlrath here. But when he picks his spots better, it's plays like this one that can shift momentum and be a huge boost in more ways than one.

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
If you're passing judgment and making assumptions about McI based on his two NHL games, stop it. That's not a fair sample. The kid is more than just a physical force that hits and punches everything he sees. He's got good wheels for his size and is definitely a better puckmover than Girardi. Once he gets the chance to settle in positionally he's going to be a great asset going forward.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
If you're passing judgment and making assumptions about McI based on his two NHL games, stop it. That's not a fair sample. The kid is more than just a physical force that hits and punches everything he sees. He's got good wheels for his size and is definitely a better puckmover than Girardi. Once he gets the chance to settle in positionally he's going to be a great asset going forward.

Stanley Cup finals Girardi?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Based on how horrible he supposedly was in his 2 NHL games what was he? A minus 7? A minus 5? He was a minus 1. Hardly earth shattering.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Based on how horrible he supposedly was in his 2 NHL games what was he? A minus 7? A minus 5? He was a minus 1. Hardly earth shattering.

Im sure if he played bigger minutes he could've approached those #'s.

But he didn't, because he was a detriment out there. This is no way, shape, or form an indictment on the rest of his career, but I dont know how anyone in their right minds could be comfortable with him in the top 6 next year with performances like that against NHL competition. Connor Allen looked much, much better.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

I always like to compare plus/minus to wins for starting pitchers in baseball. It's not a stat that is always in control of the player. A hockey player can have a flawless shift but a mistake by a teammate could give him a negative rating, similar to how a pitcher could not get a win because he received no run support. Plus/minus isn't a really good way to judge player efficiency.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

But he didn't, because he was a detriment out there. This is no way, shape, or form an indictment on the rest of his career, but I dont know how anyone in their right minds could be comfortable with him in the top 6 next year with performances like that against NHL competition. Connor Allen looked much, much better.

I remember when we kept Sauer and sent McD down to the AHL. In his first few games in the AHL that season he looked really bad. Did we judge McD by those few AHL games or wait to see how he progressed? There is no reason to judge Dylan before we see how he plays in camp.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I always like to compare plus/minus to wins for starting pitchers in baseball. It's not a stat that is always in control of the player. A hockey player can have a flawless shift but a mistake by a teammate could give him a negative rating, similar to how a pitcher could not get a win because he received no run support. Plus/minus isn't a really good way to judge player efficiency.

It is definitely a imperfect stat. I have seen guys get a plus when they were on the bench BUT if a player is so ridiculously horrible defensively usually he would have more than 1 goal scored against while he was on the ice. I think Dylan had a couple of rough moments but he was not this ridiculously horrible player that some exaggerate him out to be.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I've heard he has a BIG (triple digits MPH) shot from the point; maybe the best in the system. Can anyone who's seen him down in HFD confirm?

Maybe could be that big shot from the point we've been dying for...

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I understand that +/- doesn't tell a full story, but I don't think saying a player was only -1 in two games is a great endorsement.

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
BigMac will be up here this season. Beukaboom is telling anyone who asks just that. Don't see what the big affinity all of a sudden for 1 goal 12 assist all season strahlman. He stinks offensively and couldn't clear even gabs out of the crease on that goal. He is physically inept outside of a couple of "salary hits" in the playoffs and always lets the offensive player stand in front of the net. Mac will have some growing pains but he is just what we need big , physical and someone no one on the opposition wants to be on the same side of the ice with. Also, he has a heavy shot from the point and improved his offense this season. We need to spend money elsewhere than an overblown strahlman. Get staal and kreider signed longterm with that money and have big mac and get allen up here and playing. The youth movement moves on!!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I've heard he has a BIG (triple digits MPH) shot from the point; maybe the best in the system. Can anyone who's seen him down in HFD confirm?

Maybe could be that big shot from the point we've been dying for...

He is a big boy. Years ago his shot was around 96 mph but it has probably gotten harder since his body has matured. He will still add more muscle as he gets older. In this last season he showed a few new offensive skills.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

I think this is the best analogy I've heard yet regarding plus/minus.

Depending on plus/minus as the best way to define a player's contribution is as silly as disregarding it as a meaningless stat.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I remember when we kept Sauer and sent McD down to the AHL. In his first few games in the AHL that season he looked really bad. Did we judge McD by those few AHL games or wait to see how he progressed? There is no reason to judge Dylan before we see how he plays in camp.

Fair enough.

Even though McIlrath's readiness (or lack thereof) will have a big impact on what the team does with Stralman

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
You can really tell who watches Hartford and who doesn't by the quality of posts about McIlrath.

TurgePurge*

Does McIlrath ever actually beat the piss out of his opponent? It seems like most of the time he fights to a draw and then gives the guy a 'way to go' love tap to the butt.

I dont care about fighting but the video doesnt really back up his reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad