Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath Part V: #FreeHim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't understand what so many people on here were talking about when they were ripping his skating and foot speed. His skating looks fine. If you were to read some of the posts on here you'd think he was like a John Scott level statue on the ice.

I think someone mentioned that many had not seen McIlrath play, and I also think that was the case.

I've always been a McIlrath backer. He is a very unique mix of natural talent overall and physical ability. I am sure that we selected him for two reasons: (i) we had not had someone like him in a really long time. (ii) we betted on him really putting things together just after getting drafted. Kind of like a Shea Weber who went in the 2nd round but not many months after getting drafted would have gone real high. McI were really trending with a strong POs before his draft etc. However, just because that didn't materialize, it didn't mean that he sucked. He still had a very good platform.

What always have worried me the most all along was the pressure on McIlrath. I've seen so many kids not handle the pressure of being a high pick, in NY but also elsewhere. Its just speculation, but if Hugh Jessiman was a 9th round pick, Id bet a lot that he had a nice NHL career by now. Nothing he ever did could make the environment be positive about him. But McI have handled this pressure in an amazing way and just kept doing the right things week in and week out, year in and year out.

And -- this is my point really -- after Christmas last season he really started to put it together. His work paid off. Before that when I saw him in the NHL, I liked a lot of things but it was still always with some conditions like "for a young kid that is this big and a fighter", if you get what I mean. Many of us saw him play decent with the puck, but he really was not "decent" if compared to like a Allen or any natural good PMD in the AHL. It was decent -- for a player like McIlrath who still was young etc. But then he just took a really big step and turned into a No 2 D for real, a good No 2 D "no matter what" in the AHL. Who defended like a good No 2, who moved the puck like a good No 2 and so forth. Roughly, his skating has been there, but now came the gap control, explosiveness on his skates when needed, and so forth.

My point is just, McI is a lot better now than 2 years ago. I see no reason for his development curve to stop here though, if he gets to play on a regular basis, I think he will be much better 2 years from now too than he is today. Exciting!!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think it's important to keep in mind that even if McIlrath hits his potential at the NHL, he's still likely at least two years away from really reaching that level.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Heck of the game last night, he never had his head up this much when you see him called up in the past, looks more natural still a bit awkward but that could because of his size age and experience. like with the coaches are doing with his eyes time perfect amount for the most part Imo.

Good to hear! I think he will always look a bit awkward just due to his size.

Rangers have never lost when Lundqvist has a shutout, (not including OT games) Why can't McIlrath have shutouts?

Right!? I expect at least 8 shutouts from a #10 overall pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think someone mentioned that many had not seen McIlrath play, and I also think that was the case.

I've always been a McIlrath backer. He is a very unique mix of natural talent overall and physical ability. I am sure that we selected him for two reasons: (i) we had not had someone like him in a really long time. (ii) we betted on him really putting things together just after getting drafted. Kind of like a Shea Weber who went in the 2nd round but not many months after getting drafted would have gone real high. McI were really trending with a strong POs before his draft etc. However, just because that didn't materialize, it didn't mean that he sucked. He still had a very good platform.

What always have worried me the most all along was the pressure on McIlrath. I've seen so many kids not handle the pressure of being a high pick, in NY but also elsewhere. Its just speculation, but if Hugh Jessiman was a 9th round pick, Id bet a lot that he had a nice NHL career by now. Nothing he ever did could make the environment be positive about him. But McI have handled this pressure in an amazing way and just kept doing the right things week in and week out, year in and year out.

And -- this is my point really -- after Christmas last season he really started to put it together. His work paid off. Before that when I saw him in the NHL, I liked a lot of things but it was still always with some conditions like "for a young kid that is this big and a fighter", if you get what I mean. Many of us saw him play decent with the puck, but he really was not "decent" if compared to like a Allen or any natural good PMD in the AHL. It was decent -- for a player like McIlrath who still was young etc. But then he just took a really big step and turned into a No 2 D for real, a good No 2 D "no matter what" in the AHL. Who defended like a good No 2, who moved the puck like a good No 2 and so forth. Roughly, his skating has been there, but now came the gap control, explosiveness on his skates when needed, and so forth.

My point is just, McI is a lot better now than 2 years ago. I see no reason for his development curve to stop here though, if he gets to play on a regular basis, I think he will be much better 2 years from now too than he is today. Exciting!!

I don't see Jessiman as a NHLer no matter what round he picked. He was so raw and that ankle injury devastated his development.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's going to be fine. Even sitting for periods of time---put him in the lineup he doesn't embarrass himself. He's played pretty well when he's got the chance.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Ok I found it, they are 3-4

Rangers are 1-1-1 with Glass in the lineup.

Glass >>>>>>> McIlrath.

mq1.jpg

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't see Jessiman as a NHLer no matter what round he picked. He was so raw and that ankle injury devastated his development.

Even in 2010, I disliked the Jessiman comparison.

Jessiman never struck me as an NHL player. Not before he was drafted, not before his ankle injury, never.

His pick was also compounded by the fact that it took place in one of the deepest drafts ever. It was further compounded by the fact that there were no less than two players on the board who fit what the Rangers were looking for - Brown and Getzlaf. (I was pushing VERY hard for Getzlaf). As for context, it served exclamation point on what was a horrible stretch of drafting by the Rangers. This was a year after the Rangers took another stiff, who looked like a stiff before he was even drafted, with their top pick.

Fast forward to 2010 and the Rangers drafting situation was a complete 180. Additionally, the 2010 draft wasn't even remotely as deep as 2003. While I was lobbying for Tarasenko, there were admitedly some concerns about getting him to come to North America and he wasn't an obvious, no-doubt-about-it kind of choice. I was not a fan of Cam Fowler, nor am I fan of his game today.

Even then, I believe I said that McIlrath would play in the NHL. Where I had particular concerns was the swell of over-projecting that followed the pick in which some started predicting that he could be the next Shea Weber. That just wasn't fair to McIlrath in any way, shape, or form. It also wasn't fair to project him as a first pair defenseman, which also happened once he was taken in the top 10. I truly believe that those comments set certain views into motion that have proven very difficult to overcome, even if they weren't particularly well founded to begin with. I felt then, and still feel now, that if McIlrath can be a nastier, better positioning version of Mike Komasirek I'll be happy. I don't know if that's good enough for some people though.

McIlrath was never going to be Ryan McDonagh, that's not his game. He's also never going to be a guy you build a defense around. What he can be is a very unique element to well-rounded defensive corps. And make no mistake, even if he develops to his full potential, it's going to take time - at least another season beyond this one, maybe two.

Everyone's focused on the fighting with McIlrath. The irony is that I personally believe he is a little overrated in that regard. He's a very good fighter, but he's not god's gift to pugilism. On the flip side, he's actually underrated as a defensive player. He's got good feet for a big player and if he can adjust to the speed and timing of the NHL, he'll be fine.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Raw and raw, there are many players in this league who were raw at the age of 18-22 but worked hard and got to a level were they were considered NHL level.

Its not something that can be proved, but if Jessiman is a 9th round pick people anyone who is within a mile of the rink the first time he pull on a Ranger sweater would high five themselves because of the steal we got very late in a draft. Any interview he ever given would have been very positive. Any progress he made would have been hailed and so forth.

Now he faced a great pressure from day 1, and he couldn't even remotely live up to that pressure no matter what.

Like, if say a Dale Weise were picked 2nd overall in a draft, I don't think he is in the NHL at this point either. Or what do I know, maybe this notion is out there. But just a feeling I get.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Raw and raw, there are many players in this league who were raw at the age of 18-22 but worked hard and got to a level were they were considered NHL level.

Its not something that can be proved, but if Jessiman is a 9th round pick people anyone who is within a mile of the rink the first time he pull on a Ranger sweater would high five themselves because of the steal we got very late in a draft. Any interview he ever given would have been very positive. Any progress he made would have been hailed and so forth.

Now he faced a great pressure from day 1, and he couldn't even remotely live up to that pressure no matter what.

Like, if say a Dale Weise were picked 2nd overall in a draft, I don't think he is in the NHL at this point either. Or what do I know, maybe this notion is out there. But just a feeling I get.

That's true to some extent. But there's a mighty big difference between taking a guy in the 9th round, versus 12th overall in a stacked draft. Going a little over the speed on the freeway isn't likely to get you in trouble, doing that same speed on a residential streets going to result with you in handcuffs.

I don't blame Jessiman for not making it. I blame the Rangers scouting department for taking him that high.

But at the risk of turning this into another Jessiman discussion, I'll pivot back to the topic.

Reasonable expectations will only help when viewing McIlrath's development.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Jessiman, even though he didn't progress, was the toughest guy to play against I'd ever encountered his freshman year.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I traded him for that top 6 forward we need.
If he is as bad as everyone is making him out to be, how did you trade him and his contract for a top 6 forward?

Back to Big Mac. Looked very good. But let's keep the expectations realistic. There will be ups and downs. People will be cursing him at some point. But there is upside and he is working himself into the future plans.

Unlike Etem, he is seizing his opportunities.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely fantastic. Loved every second. Won't spoil anything, but the King George role is utterly hilarious. A bit surprised at some of the F-bombs in the play, so may want to think about that if bringing kids. But loved the story and loved how the show was done. Got to go backstage and meet the cast afterwards as well. Wonderful people!
One of the best shows that I have ever seen on stage.

And yes, the King George moments are priceless.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
If he is as bad as everyone is making him out to be, how did you trade him and his contract for a top 6 forward?

Back to Big Mac. Looked very good. But let's keep the expectations realistic. There will be ups and downs. People will be cursing him at some point. But there is upside and he is working himself into the future plans.

Unlike Etem, he is seizing his opportunities.

Of course. The positives for McIlrath right now is that the supposed glaring weaknesses in his game aren't apparent right now. He's probably getting sheltered minutes (I haven't looked at the fancy stats so I don't know for sure) but "foot speed" and "gap control" haven't been issues for him.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Here is my take on it from a guy who actually watched him play the last few years.

The majority of people who post on here are fans that want to present themselves as arm chair GM's but fail to even watch the product. The basic thought is the Rangers took a bust with McIlrath because of how well St.Louis is looking with there pick. Did They win the draft so far YES Hands down Vladimir Tarasenko is a beast and I hope he has a long career. But the Rangers at that time were more in need a busier and physical force then anything else and took the best at that need which was Mcilrath...

Now in Hartford he has steadily improved on a yearly basis and is now NHL ready. The knee injury could have very well ended his career but he worked through it and is fast becoming a NHL steady D-man..

People forget he is still a baby when it comes to NHL age and is younger then

OSCAR LINDBERG
CHRIS KREIDER
JESPER FAST
KEVIN HAYES by only a moth but you get my point
he is also a kid still growing into a mans body. When this kid is 25 and I hope playing for the Rangers he will be a beast among Boys ..Kinda Like a modern era
Barry Beck

BarbaraAlphanse

Here is my take on it from a guy who actually watched him play the last few years.

The majority of people who post on here are fans that want to present themselves as arm chair GM's but fail to even watch the product. The basic thought is the Rangers took a bust with McIlrath because of how well St.Louis is looking with there pick. Did They win the draft so far YES Hands down Vladimir Tarasenko is a beast and I hope he has a long career. But the Rangers at that time were more in need a busier and physical force then anything else and took the best at that need which was Mcilrath...

Now in Hartford he has steadily improved on a yearly basis and is now NHL ready. The knee injury could have very well ended his career but he worked through it and is fast becoming a NHL steady D-man..

OSCAR LINDBERG
CHRIS KREIDER
JESPER FAST
he is also a kid still growing into a mans body. When this kid is 25 and I hope playing for the Rangers he will be a beast among Boys ..Kinda Like a modern era
Barry Beck

Several of us were blasted for saying he would be useful in the NHL over the years.

He needs time, though.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

OSCAR LINDBERG
CHRIS KREIDER
JESPER FAST
Barry Beck

Dagoon, I respect you as a poster but the bolded is flat out false.

The NYR D at the time was young and full of studs. The issue at the time was scoring. Tara was the pick because of what he projected to become, which is exactly what he has become. The issue was the threat of him not coming over at all.

Yeah we could've used size and grit... but the utter lack of any kind of offense and scoring was a gaping hole, next to a screen door on a submarine.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
When a guy like Matt Martin decides to crash the crease most NHL defenseman have pretty much all they can handle--a very high % of them more than they can handle. McIlrath last night had no problem stopping Martin from doing some things he regularly does. That's a really good thing.

I agree with Edge that we have to temper our expectations. Also that he's not a great fighter. He's very good but every time he drops the gloves he's not going to kick the **** out of his opponent. Basically things he can do to enhance his game now are to be dependable at moving the puck--be dependable at playing his position and not be prone to losing his cool and/or taking unnecessary penalties.

He's not going to be Barry Beck. Beck was arguably a No. 1 d-man. Beck could score 15 goals and 40 points a year. I don't see that in McIlrath. If Dylan can become a solid No. 4 for us (and I think that's reachable in time) I'd be good with that.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
When a guy like Matt Martin decides to crash the crease most NHL defenseman have pretty much all they can handle--a very high % of them more than they can handle. McIlrath last night had no problem stopping Martin from doing some things he regularly does. That's a really good thing.

I agree with Edge that we have to temper our expectations. Also that he's not a great fighter. He's very good but every time he drops the gloves he's not going to kick the **** out of his opponent. Basically things he can do to enhance his game now are to be dependable at moving the puck--be dependable at playing his position and not be prone to losing his cool and/or taking unnecessary penalties.

He's not going to be Barry Beck. Beck was arguably a No. 1 d-man. Beck could score 15 goals and 40 points a year. I don't see that in McIlrath. If Dylan can become a solid No. 4 for us (and I think that's reachable in time) I'd be good with that.

I truly see McIlrath as having prime-Orpik level potential. That's an elite level 3/4 in my books.

It took Orpik a long time to get where he was. Also, weirdly enough, I think that McIlrath would've benefitted much more from playing in the NCAA. I would've loved to have seen him get four years in college and two in the AHL.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
There is never a time when a guy who projects as a middle pairing defensemen with snarl, at his absolute ceiling, is a need over a 40 goal scorer. You can have 12 40 goal scorers in your line-up and trade the 13th for a defensemen who will have a better career than McIlrath could dream of.

That's a very poor argument to try and justify a pick that should not have been made at 10th OA. Especially when you talk about needing a bruiser, which is ridiculous.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
There is never a time when a guy who projects as a middle pairing defensemen with snarl, at his absolute ceiling, is a need over a 40 goal scorer. You can have 12 40 goal scorers in your line-up and trade the 13th for a defensemen who will have a better career than McIlrath could dream of.

That's a very poor argument to try and justify a pick that should not have been made at 10th OA. Especially when you talk about needing a bruiser, which is ridiculous.
Show me where you picked tank in the draft before hand? There is the argument your the Top air chair GM that posts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland