Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath Part V: #FreeHim

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Skjei is not ready this year, and what happened to Staal?

I traded him for that top 6 forward we need.

I haven't been able to watch HFD at all this year. First time in about 5. I was one with you on McI.

Where is Skjei along in his development?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

I haven't been able to watch HFD at all this year. First time in about 5. I was one with you on McI.

Skjei is a year away. It may make sense to trade Staal over the summer, but definitely not this year. Despite the 1-3-1 run in the last 5, this team is still a real Cup contender.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I just wanted to say that theres 1 thing i absolutely love about the yandle mcilrath pairing....

mcilrath separates the player from the puck...gets the puck to yandle...and then yandle gets the puck out and into the offense...

thats literally exactly what you want...your defensive defenseman to play defense...to get the puck to your offensive defenseman...and let your offensive defenseman turn the puck up the ice.

PERFECT.

He's the ideal partner for a puck mover.

hes huge so he looks slow...all huge players look slow...hes actually a VERY good skater for his size...what his problem is is balance...hes got awful balance...at least he used to...id call it average at best right now...so its good that hes improved so much.

That is something he has steadily gotten better at. That knee injury set him back but every off-season his balance gets better. At 6'5 he still has to grow into his body. That's a scary thing to say but it's true.

Because they were uninformed and never watched him in the first place.

This is what always pissed me off...

McIlrath played his game last night. I don't understand the coaching staff limiting his minutes like they have been. Although 15:21 is getting better.

The part I loved is when Martin tried to push his way to the crease and McIlrath stood him up. He tried a 2nd time and McIlrath just stood there and pushed him out. Martin is no small guy.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Skjei is a year away. It may make sense to trade Staal over the summer, but definitely not this year. Despite the 1-3-1 run in the last 5, this team is still a real Cup contender.

Yeah a full year of development for Skjei in the AHL will be good for him.

BarbaraAlphanse

They're probably legitimate cup contenders for several more years barring a complete meltdown.

But that's disappointing to hear abt Skjei, only because my own selfish desire to see him up this year.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Great game last night and AV is coming around - gave him PK time down by 1 and let him play with w tie in the last 5 minutes

BarbaraAlphanse

He just provides such a refreshing dimension to this team.

He will definitely have some downs, but he needs these minutes to get even better. He has more potential.

You just need to stick with him.

BarbaraAlphanse

Skjei is right about where I thought he'd be. He'll be fine, give him time to cook.

These kids spending a little more time in the oven is not a bad thing. I worry that we're getting impatient with some of these kids and wanting to promote them sooner rather than later.

Skjei and Buch are two kids who will benefit from the extra prep time before jumping to the NHL.

It's not a punishment that they aren't in a blue shirt yet.

I'm purely speaking from needs stand points on my end. Obviously patience with development is key.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Skjei is right about where I thought he'd be. He'll be fine, give him time to cook.

These kids spending a little more time in the oven is not a bad thing. I worry that we're getting impatient with some of these kids and wanting to promote them sooner rather than later.

Skjei and Buch are two kids who will benefit from the extra prep time before jumping to the NHL.

It's not a punishment that they aren't in a blue shirt yet.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Mcilrath has proven himself in grand style. What's there record with him in the lineup again ? Can somebody answer this ?

BarbaraAlphanse

I'd be surprised if he isn't challenging for a spot next year. But obviously that will require moving someone, unless they plan to ease him in slowly.

Yea. My hope this year was that if Staal was playing as poorly as he was to conclude last season, that Skjei would have a McDonagh-esque development track in the AHL, allowing the Rangers to find a fit to acquire top 6 help with Staal and at least remain status quo on defense with Skjei, if not improve.

But that has always hinged on Skjei warranting that spot with his performance. Merit based or there is nothing there to do but wait until it is merit based.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Ok I found it, they are 3-4

And he's played very well in 6 out of 7 of those games, with the one game being the Winnipeg game where he didn't see much time because it was a penalty fest. What's your point?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If our success rises and falls on a rookie #6 defenseman, we've got a problem.

Dylan's been the least the least of my concerns over the last 5 or 6 games.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Heck of the game last night, he never had his head up this much when you see him called up in the past, looks more natural still a bit awkward but that could because of his size age and experience. Like what the coaches are doing with his icetime perfect amount for the most part Imo.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lucky! how was it?!

McIlrath looked pretty good last night.

Absolutely fantastic. Loved every second. Won't spoil anything, but the King George role is utterly hilarious. A bit surprised at some of the F-bombs in the play, so may want to think about that if bringing kids. But loved the story and loved how the show was done. Got to go backstage and meet the cast afterwards as well. Wonderful people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad