Dylan Larkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Errorsson damn near leads the entire league in giveaways and Holland seems all giddy to lock him up for another 6 years, WTF?!?

No.Hes already locked. Contract was signed like 2 years ago or something.

Also, I didnt even notice he was up there that much in giveaways :shakehead

I knew he was terrible, but wow

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Errorsson damn near leads the entire league in giveaways and Holland seems all giddy to lock him up for another 6 years, WTF?!?
Well his current contract runs 4 more years. It's not unthinkable that he'll be re-signed for another 1-2 years after that, though if it happens he'll likely be a 3rd pairing guy and come cheap. He's looked good since being put on the 2nd pairing imo, I guess he's always just going to get a lot of hate because of reasons.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Well his current contract runs 4 more years. It's not unthinkable that he'll be re-signed for another 1-2 years after that, though if it happens he'll likely be a 3rd pairing guy and come cheap. He's looked good since being put on the 2nd pairing imo, I guess he's always just going to get a lot of hate because of reasons.

The fact that he's 828th out of 834 players in TURNOVER +/- may have a little something to do with it, but that's just a guess.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Giveaways, takeaways, and hits especially are very worthless stats. There unfortunately is no uniform standard from rink to rink so one what one arena classifies as a takeaway another may call a giveaway and a third may call both at the same time. Same with hits. Anyone remember the playoff game where Cleary staggered Phaneuf in Calgary? Wasn't even considered a hit my the hometown Flames scorer.

That said, there is value in comparing them against his own teammates. Sort of like +/- in that comparing it leaguewide isn't very useful in telling anything but comparing it within the same team can be revealing.

EDIT: Here is the Cleary "non-hit".

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Giveaways, takeaways, and hits especially are very worthless stats. There unfortunately is no uniform standard from rink to rink so one what one arena classifies as a takeaway another may call a giveaway and a third may call both at the same time. Same with hits. Anyone remember the playoff game where Cleary staggered Phaneuf in Calgary? Wasn't even considered a hit my the hometown Flames scorer.

That said, there is value in comparing them against his own teammates. Sort of like +/- in that comparing it leaguewide isn't very useful in telling anything but comparing it within the same team can be revealing.

EDIT: Here is the Cleary "non-hit".

Well obviously they knew already that Cleary wasn't a real nhler, that's why it didn't count.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The fact that he's 828th out of 834 players in TURNOVER +/- may have a little something to do with it, but that's just a guess.
Giveaways are a notoriously bad stat. Zetterberg, Nyquist and Larkin have the most giveaways among our forwards. Are they terrible too?

Also, all giveaways aren't equal. The majority of Ericsson's aren't the kind that hurts you. Smith and Kindl may not have a huge number of GvA, but they usually have the ones that are the most dangerous.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I don't really get the Ericsson hate here, other than everyone needs a whipping boy I guess. He's a fine middle pairing D-man.

If you only include defenseman, he's 18th in the league in giveaways. Behind names like Subban, Seabrook, Burns, Markov, Doughty, Klingberg, Byfuglien, Karlsson, Chara and Yandle. Also, he and Dekeyser are near the bottom of the league in offensive zone starts with 44%.

People jump all over the one boneheaded turnover he makes but ignore all the really nice outlet passes, the work in the corners, the physical play out front. It's taken him years but he's even improved at getting his slapshot off faster. All while playing on his off side.

The disappointing play of Smith and Kindl are why this defense has holes, not because of Ericsson.

And isn't this thread about Larkin anyway?

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't really get the Ericsoon hate here, other than everyone needs a whipping boy I guess. He's a fine middle pairing D-man.

If you only include defenseman, he's 18th in the league in giveaways. Behind names like Subban, Seabrook, Burns, Markov, Doughty, Klingberg, Byfuglien, Karlsson, Chara and Yandle. Also, he and Dekeyser are near the bottom of the league in offensive zone starts with 44%.

People jump all over the one boneheaded turnover he makes but ignore all the really nice outlet passes, the work in the corners, the physical play out front. It's taken him years but he's even improved at getting his slapshot off faster. All while playing on his off side.

The disappointing play of Smith and Kindl are why this defense has holes, not because of Ericsson.

And isn't this thread about Larkin anyway?

Context, context, context.

Look at the players with more turnovers you are attempting to compare Ericsson to. All offensive defenseman that handle the puck WAY MORE than Ericsson does.

Ericsson gets a lot of crap because he has bad stats and is as equally underwhelming when you watch him.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

No, it just takes time for people to rewire their thinking. Same with Quincey. He was playing well for months before the consensus was that he was actually a stable defenseman.

I agree that Ericsson has looked "good" since being put on the 2nd pairing, but he's still not anything to write home about even as a #3/4.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Context, context, context.

Look at the players with more turnovers you are attempting to compare Ericsson to. All offensive defenseman that handle the puck WAY MORE than Ericsson does.

Ericsson gets a lot of crap because he has bad stats and is as equally underwhelming when you watch him.

Exactly. Context, context context. Like offensive zone starts. Time spent on the PK (Ericsson leads all Wings dmen).

Ericsson gets a lot of crap mostly because of confirmation bias. He's a solid middle pairing guy. Very good on the PK, best on the team at clearing the crease, very good first pass for a defensive dman, will drop the gloves when necessary. He's far from the Wings biggest problem yet seems to get the most grief.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Exactly. Context, context context. Like offensive zone starts. Time spent on the PK (Ericsson leads all Wings dmen).

Ericsson gets a lot of crap mostly because of confirmation bias. He's a solid middle pairing guy. Very good on the PK, best on the team at clearing the crease, very good first pass for a defensive dman, will drop the gloves when necessary. He's far from the Wings biggest problem yet seems to get the most grief.

Actually, he arguably was our #1 problem for several seasons up until ~20 games ago when he was taken off the top pairing. Having Ericsson on our top pairing was a testament to our biggest weakness and the biggest reach in terms of talent relative to responsibility. You can't expect the consensus on him to shift that quickly.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

Ericsson is not a trash like some here make it out to be but he hasn't played as solid as you put it out to be this season neither.

I caught few games here and there but Ericsson does give away the puck and it does hurt the team. or maybe i only watched periods when Ericsson had brain cramps.

But it's not only Ericsson who has made awful give aways. saw Dekeyser trying to force pass through other teams players for some unknown reasons. It just feels like since we try to get out of the zone too quickly, it sometimes backfires on us. But you have to give something to get something so we kinda have to live with that. though bit more composure wouldnt hurt.

btw, it's going bit too OT isnt it

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Ericsson's really bad. He barely contributes to possession, can't break the puck out, can't move it through the neutral zone, can't keep it at the point, gets hemmed in his own end, is easy to skate around, turns the puck over like crazy. Even in middle pairing minutes, he's really overwhelmed.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I understand you guys all want to talk about my favorite player Ericsson all the time, trust me I get it, but this is the Larkin thread dudes.

Aug 6, 2012
Nothing wrong with a little break for the kid, especially if we win too. I doubt he's played anywhere near the amount of games he's going to play this year, though he did have a pretty crazy 2015: Michigan, WJC, World Championship, & AHL playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad