Dylan Larkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about picking Dylan Larkin in my salary capped keeper league, so I was wondering if you guys could fill me up on his potential? I know he's ranked very high on "hockeysfuture", but what are the expectations for him this year? Is he slated to be on the big club or will he start in the AHL?

If he's ready for the big club where will he fit line wise and how many points do you expect?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Unless something strange happens, he'll start in the AHL. Most expect him to get some call ups for the regular season, and then see more IT in the NHL playoffs.

I think he's doing the best to live up to his hype, I think his ceiling is a #1 center, I think his floor is a #2 center.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I concur with Heaton. Though he will more than likely break into the league starting as a #3 center. I could be wrong but the Wings normally don't just hand top 6 spots to kids. Nyquist though it was debatable if he really was a "kid" at the time was the last prospect that got immediately put into a top 6 role from the AHL.

I believe he will more than likely develope into a 50-65 ish 2 way center. He could have more offense but without some games against NHL'rs it is hard to predict his offensive ceiling.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he has good long-term potential, but I wouldn't bank on him playing much this year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A better version of Gretzky meets Lemieux. ;)

Just kidding. But if the kid does pan out to be at least a solid 1C, I look forward to watching him play. Bring on the next core!!! :D

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pronman selected Larkin as one of the stand-outs from the tournament.

Here is his take on what he saw from Larkin:
Detroit Red Wings: Dylan Larkin, C

Larkin had the look of a prospect who was ready to compete for an NHL job. His speed was as dynamic as always, but unlike other times I've seen him, Larkin was making very high-skill plays consistently, and showing more of an east-west game than I've typically seen him play. He looks like the complete package as a hockey player when you add his work ethic and defense to complement his natural offensive talents.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...ach-nel?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Agree with most of the posters here, Unless we get decimated with Injuries I would expect Larkin to play most of his games with Grand Rapids this year with the occasional call up if Injuries occur.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't like that Kesler-comparison at all. Kesler is very physical, Larkin isn't. Also, Larkin is A LOT MORE creative than bonehead Kesler.

Larkin potential:
Larkin will be carbon copy of no more or less of Henrik Zetterberg, and our future Captain after Hank. He is clearly on that path. Hype or not. He just is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't like that Kesler-comparison at all. Kesler is very physical, Larkin isn't. Also, Larkin is A LOT MORE creative than bonehead Kesler.

Larkin potential:
Larkin will be carbon copy of no more or less of Henrik Zetterberg, and our future Captain after Hank. He is clearly on that path. Hype or not. He just is.

I don't know, Larkin is fiery competitive, and I could see him getting some snarl as he gets older and continues to put on weight.

I don't think there is a perfect comparison for him. Some elements of Kesler, Toews, and Legwand IMO.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

Larkin potential:

I don't think they have the same style, but I'd put them in the same tier of players. basically the 1a/1b centers that are better than average but not really elite or would be elite 2nd line centers.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I see his ceiling as a faster toews. 60-70 pts a season (maybe an 80pt season at his peak), good 2way guy, a captain.

I wont lie, i'd be a bit disappointed if he was anything less than a 1C

Hopefully we win 3 cups with him so everyone will start saying hes better than McDavid/eichel/whoever the best players in the league are.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't think they have the same style, but I'd put them in the same tier of players. basically the 1a/1b centers that are better than average but not really elite or would be elite 2nd line centers.

Wait, Zetterberg is not elite?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I see his ceiling as a faster toews. 60-70 pts a season (maybe an 80pt season at his peak), good 2way guy, a captain.

I wont lie, i'd be a bit disappointed if he was anything less than a 1C

Hopefully we win 3 cups with him so everyone will start saying hes better than McDavid/eichel/whoever the best players in the league are.

Those are pretty much the exact same numbers that i'm thinking as well, And any thing other then Larkin being the #1C would be a major disappointment.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The Kesler comparison gets more and more off-base with time. Larkin is much more of a creative playmaker than a gritty goal scorer, and Kesler was never a particularly impressive playmaker himself.

I agree that he's edging closer to a version of today's Zetterberg who can skate really well. He's a pass-first guy with a knack for understated, creative playmaking, and neither guy possesses a particularly dangerous shot. They get their goals from hockey sense and quick hands around the net, mostly. Neither are flashy dekers. Both can play defense well, but maybe aren't elite shutdown forwards—partially because they feel so much offensive pressure. and they're both very good leadership guys. Both will stand up for themselves, but aren't particularly bruising guys. Both have legendary-level work ethic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->