Dylan Larkin or Sean Monahan?

Dylan Larkin or Sean Monahan?

• Total voters

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Love both these kids, but going with Monahan as of right now. Could certainly see Larkin becoming the better player when they've both hit their primes.

Always gotta love the AINECs. :laugh: I would love either of these guys on my team.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Monahan is the better player at getting into and executing in goalscoring positions and probably in the offensive zone overall. Larkin is probably better in the other zones. What makes this a hard call is that Monahan has had a great start to his career but has started to rack up a few injury problems. Larkin on the other hand is slightly harder to get a handle on apart from his elite skating. First year he was a goalscorer first and foremost playing wing. Second year, he alternated positions and seemed rushed more often than not. Third year Larkin was snakebitten but became an impressive set up man. We still don't know what player he will really settle down into being. Monahan we have greater certainty about, and he has achieved more to date, but I suspect Larkin has a higher ceiling. They'd make great team-mates.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm not sure if Monahan breaks 55 points if you swap teams. Meanwhile Larkin is very easily a 70+ point player with Gaudreau.

Reactions: newfy

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
If I'm starting a team from scratch, I take Larkin for sure. Part of that is position, other part is potential. If the question is who is better right this second - then probably Monahan, but it is very close when you consider role and linemates.

Kind of a strange poll though, two very different players that play different positions. Larkin's best will come in a couple of years when he's no longer playing with guys like Helm and Tatar.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
If I'm starting a team from scratch, I take Larkin for sure. Part of that is position, other part is potential. If the question is who is better right this second - then probably Monahan, but it is very close when you consider role and linemates.

Kind of a strange poll though, two very different players that play different positions. Larkin's best will come in a couple of years when he's no longer playing with guys like Helm and Tatar.
Because a center has more value then a center right?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Did you know Monahan was the 6th youngest active player to reach 100 goals in his career?

Larkin won a foot race once in an all star game.

Larkin younger but just was one point off Monahans career high without ever having someone like Gadreau to play with. Monahan might be better but its definitely close.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Got no love for the Flames but I'm leaning Monahan on this one. Although its been harder to see Larkin since the Wings moved to the East.

The last Horvat/Monahan poll was split, and Monahan is winning this one handily. Horvat/Larkin might be an interesting poll.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Monahan may be better now but who knows in the future. Larkin is one hell of a player.

For those saying Larkin was only point off Monahan's career high, yes true. However, Monahan played almost half this season super hurt too, and there definitely is the potential he would have put up more points.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Larkin younger but just was one point off Monahans career high without ever having someone like Gadreau to play with. Monahan might be better but its definitely close.

Monahan played in 8 less games and was injured 4 different ways from January on. Not hard at all to see him break 70 next season if he's fully healthy. Yes he gets to play with Gaudreau but on the other side the best player he's got to play with for a full season is Jiri Hudler. Some of the others include Alex Chiasson, Josh Jooris, Troy Brouwer, Micheal Ferland, Garnett Hathaway, and Kris Versteeg.

Didn't say it wasn't close but at this point in their careers it's still clearly Monahan. .56 points per game vs Monahan's of .72 with similar ATOI and deployment.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I remember when Larkin was just a Zemgus Girgensens caliber player.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Monahan played in 8 less games and was injured 4 different ways from January on. Not hard at all to see him break 70 next season if he's fully healthy. Yes he gets to play with Gaudreau but on the other side the best player he's got to play with for a full season is Jiri Hudler. Some of the others include Alex Chiasson, Josh Jooris, Troy Brouwer, Micheal Ferland, Garnett Hathaway, and Kris Versteeg.

Didn't say it wasn't close but at this point in their careers it's still clearly Monahan. .56 points per game vs Monahan's of .72 with similar ATOI and deployment.

8 less games but hes 2 years older as well and plays with Gadreau. Not hard to see Larkin break 70 next year and thats without a player of Gadreaus calibre to play with.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
8 less games but hes 2 years older as well and plays with Gadreau. Not hard to see Larkin break 70 next year and thats without a player of Gadreaus calibre to play with.

hell Larkin literally would have hit 70 this year just by shooting at his average shooting percentage from the other two seasons he's been in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad