Dylan Larkin or Sean Monahan?

Dylan Larkin or Sean Monahan?

• Total voters

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Larkin - Age 21 - 0.58ppg - 1.81 P/60 - 1.36 P1/60

Monahan - Age 23 - 0.72ppg - 1.79 P/60 - 1.41 P1/60

How can you say it's not even close? Both play on their team's top lines, Monahan has slightly better support through his career, but not much. They are very similar talents.

I agree that Monahan is currently better, but Monahan has had WAY more support than Larkin to date. He's been glued to Gaudreau and receives passes from Hamilton/Gio/Brodie.

Larkin has got to play with a shell of Zetterberg (who he recently out produced) and gets outlet passes from Green, and Trevor Daley?
Big difference there.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I wonder how much of a "fluke" 47 assists is for Larkin or if he can be a consistent 40-50 assist centerman. It was a quantum leap up from his previous 2 years of 15 and 22 assists.

I think he sees the ice better and is more dynamic than Sean Monahan so he should be the better playmaker going forward. Monahan seems to be a lock for 30 goals every year though.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Monahan, guy put up 30+ goals playing with a bum wrist (he froze it before every game and practise) for 2+ months, along side his 2 hernia's and tight groin.

Sucks cause he would have put up 40+ goals and 75+ points if he didn't get completely savaged by injuries. He was pretty much a PPG up until he got hurt.

The "doesn't drive his line" argument is so stupid. Can someone explain to me how 2 players are supposed to drive a line when there is only 1 puck on the ice? Gaudreau wants to be that guy so Monahan lets him, Monahan without Gaudreau on his line excluding his rookie year is around 2 points per game.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I wonder how much of a "fluke" 47 assists is for Larkin or if he can be a consistent 40-50 assist centerman. It was a quantum leap up from his previous 2 years of 15 and 22 assists.

I think he sees the ice better and is more dynamic than Sean Monahan so he should be the better playmaker going forward. Monahan seems to be a lock for 30 goals every year though.

Not all that common for players to have fluke seasons on absolute dumpster fire teams.

More likely that his low shooting percentage was a fluke than his assist rate.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Maybe he would but if i was offered a 1 for 1 trade i would probably decline as i dont wanna take the risk since Monahan has produced pretty consistantly
Exceptable. I would take that trade all day if I was in your shoes.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Watch more Flames games, and you will eventually see that Monahan is not a product of Gaudreau. Gaudreau alone seems to struggle more without Monahan. They compliment one another very well. Monahan is so underrated because he isn't flashy, but part of the reason the Flames floundered last year was due to Monahan's numerous injuries that he played through. He probably would have hit 40 goals if not for those.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm torn. Monahan is underrated around these boards, but people are right that Larkin doesn't have an elite winger like Gaudreau by his side. I think with roles reversed in a few years, a better poll would be Larkin + Zadina vs. Monahan and Gaudreau. Larkin is going to rack up the points with Zadina potting up everything, much like Monahan does with Gaudreau.

Would absolutely love Larkin on my team.

Went with Monahan because Monahan is a consistent 30-30 player and looks to be even better than that next year with Lindholm adding into the fold. It's hard to find a sniper like Monahan these days.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm torn. Monahan is underrated around these boards, but people are right that Larkin doesn't have an elite winger like Gaudreau by his side. I think with roles reversed in a few years, a better poll would be Larkin + Zadina vs. Monahan and Gaudreau. Larkin is going to rack up the points with Zadina potting up everything, much like Monahan does with Gaudreau.

Would absolutely love Larkin on my team.

Went with Monahan because Monahan is a consistent 30-30 player and looks to be even better than that next year with Lindholm adding into the fold. It's hard to find a sniper like Monahan these days.
I agree with this. Pretty close poll overall though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sean Monahan. And the poll isn't close at all. Only 36% pf those polled would take Larkin.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I think Larkin is more skilled and a better hockey player, however Monahan knows his role, and gets his job done more effectively, if that makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad