Confirmed with Link: Dylan Guenther signs 3-year ELC

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
If he is NHL ready, I don't see how you let the current state of the team dictate that. There is no probable future where the team drastically improves out of the bottom 10 next season especially given our inability to attract free agents. Either way he is likely going to need to endure a losing season on the onset of his career with a less than ideal supporting cast.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If he is NHL ready, I don't see how you let the current state of the team dictate that. There is no probable future where the team drastically improves out of the bottom 10 next season especially given our inability to attract free agents. Either way he is likely going to need to endure a losing season on the onset of his career with a less than ideal supporting cast.
If he’s not physically ready then we should know after 1st day of training camp. Likely know already after physical testing for prospects. All signs point to WHL.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Would like to see him put on some weight before starting his NHL career. Reevaluate after U20s in early Jan.
Canada is the host country.
Should be able to trade Kessel by then.

Reactions: moosemeister

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think people need to realize that Guenther played only 24 games last year. He still needs minutes at that level.
I agree. This plandemic has screwed up everything. Junior players lost a year of development.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I agree about the need to develop players but still, players should be given the incentive when going to training camp that they will always be given the honest chance to prove that they should stay. Hope does wonders for performance.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Hope does wonders for performance.

It does. But adversity breeds motivation too. That's what gets a competitive athlete to step up to a higher level.

He's 18 and was just drafted. Of course he should be trying to make the team, but how many actually do right outta the draft? Sending him down would not be out of place at all IMO.

It's gonna be interesting to see what the paid professionals actually decide. Kid's good.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have no problem and would be happy to send him down for a year. My point is that he shouldn't be told that his performance doesn't count in camp, that he goes down either way. It is good to know that if you overcome the odds you will be rewarded. IIRC there is a 10 game rule that after 10 games you can send a player back to the WHA or wherever? Let him try and earn his 10 games in the show.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Mikkel Boedker is probably still in the NHL right now had he played for Kitchener in 2008-10.

Don't make the same mistake with Dylan Guenther.
IMO Boeddker lacked the drive, the desire to excel. Do they teach that in Kitchener?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Point being he may have had more confidence if he wasn't crushed in his rookie season (then yo-yo'ed back and forth between Phoenix and San Antonio).

Reactions: Matias Maccete

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Didn’t Armstrong just say that he’s never seen a player who staying in the minors too long hurt their development?

During Guenther's introductory press conference BA said something to the effect of "You can see by looking at him he's not ready for the NHL."

I agree about the need to develop players but still, players should be given the incentive when going to training camp that they will always be given the honest chance to prove that they should stay. Hope does wonders for performance.

Then if they make it, you'd have to "hope" the players performance doesn't slip.

Hope may positively impact performance short term, but disappointment, never wanting to be disappointed again has a much longer life cycle.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I don’t think Chicago ruined Kirby Dach playing him, he was ready. If ready, there’s really no problem and any other thought is absurd. Guenther isn’t ready, so it’s all mute.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Boedkker was fine until he lost his spleen from the board hit he took in Edmonton. He was never the same after that.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I don’t think Chicago ruined Kirby Dach playing him, he was ready. If ready, there’s really no problem and any other thought is absurd. Guenther isn’t ready, so it’s all mute.
Dach's ceiling was stunted by playing in the league right away. His DY was 73 points in 62 games in the Dub. That's not dominating junior by any means. Should have gone back to the Dub, put up 97 points in 62 games, lit up the 2020 World Junior, and then make the Blackhawks during pandemic division only 2020-21 season.

Wyatt Johnston had a year off from hockey and his dominant D+1 in Windsor in the O definitely helped his confidence/progression and then he made the Stars in his 19 year old season.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Guenther is the straw that stirs the drink. What a selection. What development. What a player.
Guenther was ranked as high as 3rd going into the 2021 U18 held in Frisco, then had a good but not dominant U18 where McTavish, Bedard, Stankoven, Wright, Zellweger, and even Pinelli were more noticeable for most of the games for Canada, so he likely fell to the Coyotes because of it. If the Dub played a full season, he probably goes in the top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad