Confirmed with Link: Dylan Guenther signs 3-year ELC

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Now that Guenther is wearing Hanzal’s #11 is it time to bring this out again?? Or do we wait?? :laugh:
00CAB95E-0956-4FA2-A886-CF90426BED8C.jpeg

Reactions: Baby Doaner

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Above my pay grade on this one. I'll trust our new management team to do the right thing.

Reactions: 0point1

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Above my pay grade on this one. I'll trust our new management team to do the right thing.

Only reason they'd consider it is if he leaves them no choice by playing lights out in the tournament + camp, and/or if the WHL is going to have another reduced season. Even then, they might look to loan him out to a men's league in Europe or something first.

If he makes the team on merit then you can't just say "well we're going to stash you away for a year regardless to slide your contract, try to be a good lad about it"

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Based on what I saw at the black and white scrimmage, he sure as hell shouldn’t be making the team. Small sample (to say the least) though.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Being able to still doesn't make it a good idea. Even if he's ready I'd still say not until next year. It's not going to help the cause this season anyways.

Cook kid, cook! Lol

Reactions: RemoAZ

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Only reason they'd consider it is if he leaves them no choice by playing lights out in the tournament + camp, and/or if the WHL is going to have another reduced season. Even then, they might look to loan him out to a men's league in Europe or something first.

If he makes the team on merit then you can't just say "well we're going to stash you away for a year regardless to slide your contract, try to be a good lad about it"

When you look at who he's competing with for a roster spot this year, that merit is gonna come more easily than if he was on another team at the moment tho, wouldn't it? He's competing with spare parts and leftovers. If he feels that way then he's gotta already think he's guaranteed a spot on this year's team.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm with Kai. Let him simmer in the W. Let him go for gold at the U20s. There's so little to gain from playing on a tanking club at his age and there's a ton of risk.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm with Kai. Let him simmer in the W. Let him go for gold at the U20s. There's so little to gain from playing on a tanking club at his age and there's a ton of risk.

There's risk in him being the best winger in camp or close to it and then sending him back as well. If the goal is to have a good team culture and he blows the doors off everybody, he should stay. Same if he plays well in his first 8 games.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
There's risk in him being the best winger in camp or close to it and then sending him back as well. If the goal is to have a good team culture and he blows the doors off everybody, he should stay. Same if he plays well in his first 8 games.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying.

It's disappointing to me to think that an 18 year old kid, fresh from the draft that isn't Sid Crosby, Connor McDavid, etc; could get miffed for not being put in the NHL immediately. No matter what the scene looks like. There's more dues to pay still.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
It really is frustrating that playing in the AHL is not an option for another 2 years. At the same time, I get that CHL would end up cannibalizing's itself because the star older players would all be out of the league at this age.

Would love if there could be a new agreement where perhaps NHL/AHL clubs pay X amount of dollars to the club that player came from each year the player plays in AHL year before 20 years old.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He really does have a chance with that shot. If he is lights out in training camp and preseason agains the big boys I’d give him his 10 games at the start of the season and then make the call.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It really is frustrating that playing in the AHL is not an option for another 2 years. At the same time, I get that CHL would end up cannibalizing's itself because the star older players would all be out of the league at this age.

Would love if there could be a new agreement where perhaps NHL/AHL clubs pay X amount of dollars to the club that player came from each year the player plays in AHL year before 20 years old.

That's not a bad idea. I had an old idea that each NHL team could move one of their CHL players to the AHL, but not every year, maybe one player per 2 or 3 year period. That would prevent a mass exodus of drafted talent but would give an opportunity to the kids too good for CHL and too green for NHL. Could be used in tandem with the cash compensation for CHL clubs.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
NHL teams that are good at development send down young talent even when they light up the competition in their first 8 games. It's not easy but you just do it. Fans will grumble but you just do it. In my mind, there is nothing Guenther can do to earn a spot on the Coyotes this year. There's also no harm in being up front with him about it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He really does have a chance with that shot. If he is lights out in training camp and preseason agains the big boys I’d give him his 10 games at the start of the season and then make the call.
Wait until he plays with NHL calibre players. You guys are getting excited over nothing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No need to rush Guenther. Let him go absolutely destroy the WHL and be a WJC hero for Team Canada. We won’t care about the AHL stuff in 22-23 because he’s just going to be an NHLer anyway.
That's what many thought about Hayton. I thought you were the one that wants to cook players, let them dominate in junior, then dominate in the AHL before getting a sniff with the NHL. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad