Player Discussion Dylan Ferguson (G) 1yr 2-way 2022-23

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You think forsberg or Talbot would have dragged this team to a winning record on that western road trip the way we were playing in front of them? Guess we will never know.
They are our NHL goalies, they have had some great games along with some stinkers. I do think they are also better than Sogaard & Mandolese.

Reactions: Cosmix

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
The best glove I have seen on Sen's roster, after Dominik Hašek. Good passing skills, better than Chabot's behind the goal line. Lateral movements are very good. Reads the game very well. Sees the shots in traffic. Does not lose a net, plays square and calm. Hard to score on the angles. Plays half butterfly as should, not very tall. Quick pads. Needs ten games or so for a proper assessment, but a vast improvement from anything we have right now. With him playing, we would be already in the playoffs picture with 80 points

Reactions: Cosmix and Alex1234

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Idk, Pens had 91 shot attempts last night, that's a lot of up and down for a goalie dropping into the butterfly, his legs probably feel like Jello today.
Touche, maybe the adrenalin gets him through it. Who knows. I think the guys in front of him might play very confident though. Half the battle with a goalie is your team believing in him. I dont know if they believe in Soogard right now which isnt Soogards fault. I think he has been fine, young goalie tough spot to be in. But they have lost alot with him in net lately.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Touche, maybe the adrenalin gets him through it. Who knows. I think the guys in front of him might play very confident though. Half the battle with a goalie is your team believing in him. I dont know if they believe in Soogard right now which isnt Soogards fault. I think he has been fine, young goalie tough spot to be in. But they have lost alot with him in net lately.
I think Sogaard is starting to lose confidence, I don't blame him, he's young and had some bad puck luck along the way, but he needs a break to reset, I might have sent him down rather than Mando,

We really aren't left with a lot of options while Forsberg and Talbot are out.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The best glove I have seen on Sen's roster, after Dominik Hašek. Good passing skills, better than Chabot's behind the goal line. Lateral movements are very good. Reads the game very well. Sees the shots in traffic. Does not lose a net, plays square and calm. Hard to score on the angles. Plays half butterfly as should, not very tall. Quick pads. Needs ten games or so for a proper assessment, but a vast improvement from anything we have right now. With him playing, we would be already in the playoffs picture with 80 points

I don’t know. He battled and was great but it was far from pretty from a technical perspective. There were quite a few routine shots that almost handcuffed him, kicked out some juicy rebounds and I would say he looked calm. Credit to him, he came in and put on a performance but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed. He looked very short to me; I was thinking 5'11. Turns out he is 6'2. It was the side by side effect when he stood near Sogaard. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t know. He battled and was great but it was far from pretty from a technical perspective. There were quite a few routine shots that almost handcuffed him, kicked out some juicy rebounds and I would say he looked calm. Credit to him, he came in and put on a performance but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
I agree we should not sign him until he shows us he can play VG for quite a few games. He is 6'2, 194 lbs and age 24 (25 in September). I thought he played a great game compared to some of the goaltenders' games we have seen.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The shootout went 9 rounds, they had their NHL goalie in net while we had out AHL goalie in net. It's a lot to expect from a rookie goaltender thrown into the fire due to injuries against some of the best players in the world& yet he still gave them an opportunity to win the game. He did well in that shootout.
Don't get all up in arms. He got beat bad by Marner and Mathews, no shame in that.

Just saying when they made him move laterally he opens some holes - to be expected with a guy that size.

As for our wonderful rookies and their 1st games it would seem to need to find a pipeline that allows us to play 50 or 60 rookie goalies a year.

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Agreed. He looked very short to me; I was thinking 5'11. Turns out he is 6'2. It was the side by side effect when he stood near Sogaard. :)
He's actually 5'4. Midget with outstanding reflexes and lateral mobility. Even if you are 7'5 but can't stop a beachball you're of no value to anyone.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad