Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I think all the Tage Thompson and other underwhelming comps are a little ridiculous.

There must be a reason that so many draft and prospect analysts had Cozens ranked in the 3-5 range. It’s not like the Sabres went off the board here.
Puljujarvi was consensus No. 3. Does that mean hes worth being picked that high when you look at it now? No. Hope Cozens doesnt turn out a turdsandwich as well, but looking at his game I dont see top line talent and at 7 you should be aiming at top line talent.

Reactions: jc17

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Same here, I see nothing there that warrants 7OA pick.

You don't see it? A combination of skill, size and finesse on that large of a frame who was extremely productive in his league with lots of room to grow? He is the second best skater in the draft and at his size thats impressive. How many big guys can skate like he can? He is a top 10 pick, he wasn't sliding much farther then where we picked him.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
Wasn't high on him at all this year, thought he used his size and speed rather than smarts against his competition whick is the main reason I questioned his iq, not only that but couldn't get quite a good read on him honestly he can end up being top line two way power forward who can score goals and pass high ceiling just not as high as others. I just hope he gets developed correctly.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wasn't high on him at all this year, thought he used his size and speed rather than smarts against his competition whick is the main reason I questioned his iq, not only that but couldn't get quite a good read on him honestly he can end up being top line two way power forward who can score goals and pass high ceiling just not as high as others. I just hope he gets developed correctly.

I had similar concerns. And the U18‘s, where he didn’t have a clear physical advantage over significant portions of the other teams, I came up wanting more. There’s some Sanderson in his game who was also drafted at center with speed and a shot.

Reactions: Orange Fanta

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
You don't see it? A combination of skill, size and finesse on that large of a frame who was extremely productive in his league with lots of room to grow? He is the second best skater in the draft and at his size thats impressive. How many big guys can skate like he can? He is a top 10 pick, he wasn't sliding much farther then where we picked him.
Where is this finesse you are talking about? Size and relative speed I see. Skill and finesse, not so much.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Where is this finesse you are talking about? Size and relative speed I see. Skill and finesse, not so much.

Watch some video on him. Not sure how you cannot see it. I wanted Zegras, but Cozens will be a good player. Just hope we can develop him properly which is probably expecting too much with this franchise.
  • He plays a mature two-way game, is extremely competitive, and possesses subtly high-end hockey sense that allows him to impact the game, EPrinkside.com 2019
  • His skating is his best weapon. He can dart up and down the ice at lightning speed, and plays with that pace with the puck on his stick, EPrinkside.com2019
  • Away from the play, he’s a competitive kid who is willing to finish his checks and use his frame effectively, Hockeyprospect.com 2019
  • His has a deadly shot with a quick release and can be a dual threat, Future Considerations 2019
  • He is a gifted playmaker with great vision, able to make simple plays and complex ones with the same degree of success, McKeen's Hockey 2019

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His toe drag to the slot coming down right wing is very much a finesse play. He Shields the puck and rotates himself on his edges to gain a better shooting angle. There are some tools to work with.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
How does he do that?
Goes to the net, wins battles along the boards, quick/short little passes after gaining control of the puck. Reinhart also leans heavily on quick wrist shots and I thought their shot looked similar.

I think Cozens is more of a shooter, and likes to make himself available in the slot. But like I said, reminds me a little.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like how it gets low, the leg bend and drive when he’s carrying the puck into open space. As he gets stronger and fills out, that’s going to be a load for NHL defensemen to handle off the rush.

Last edited:
Reactions: EichHart

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
ROR would have been a good mentor for Cozens. :naughty:

Cozens may never challenge for a scoring title, but he will still be able to score enough to be a first line centre. Add in his strong defensive game, and the potential to grow into a Selke calibre centre and he could be a franchise-changing force up the middle. While he has also played the wing in junior (mainly his rookie year), his skating, vision and hockey IQ all suggest his future is at centre. In terms of playing style, he is reminiscent of Ryan Kesler, though this is not a skill-level comparison.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
He kind of gives me a vibe that i will be very surprised by him seems like the type of person to prove doubters wrong and a hard worker he could develope past his perceived ceiling by some but that is just my opinion

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Let him Develop holy ****. Let’s see where he is at next year. Bet everyone hating is singing a different tune..

I’m optimistic about this pick.

They need some big guys with skill. I know the big question with Cozens is his hockey IQ. But, given his background, he is a guy that is more physically mature than technically mature. And he outproduced Dach last year.

I think there is growth left for him and I also like how he has versatility to his game and can play up and down the lineup and at wing or center.

I won’t be shocked if he’s a lot like J Staal at the next level.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
ROR would have been a good mentor for Cozens. :naughty:

Cozens may never challenge for a scoring title, but he will still be able to score enough to be a first line centre. Add in his strong defensive game, and the potential to grow into a Selke calibre centre and he could be a franchise-changing force up the middle. While he has also played the wing in junior (mainly his rookie year), his skating, vision and hockey IQ all suggest his future is at centre. In terms of playing style, he is reminiscent of Ryan Kesler, though this is not a skill-level comparison.

Ryan kesler is a terrible comparison... don’t copy paste from whoever wrote that anymore.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I am fine with this choice, although I wanted to see Zegras more, but comparing Cozens with Zemgus or Thompson, to be honest, ridiculous, this is a different level. I really like his skating, shot and it seems to me that things are not so bad with IQ, as some say, like that he is a good wagone, I also like his playmaker abilities. He can become our 2C or fit perfectly on the right wing to Jack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad